Author Topic: One piece rings and base  (Read 848 times)

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
One piece rings and base
« on: May 07, 2011, 05:50:32 AM »
I'm having a custom Arg. Mauser built with a Shilen lite varmint barrel chambered in 6.5-06. It will wear a Leupold 4.5x14 VXL scope. This will be my beanfield/distance rifle. I have heard of one piece scope base and rings. The tought intrigues me. I want the best I can find on this rifle so when it's done, it's done! Are there disadvantages to the one piece base/rings? Who makes them?

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: One piece rings and base
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 06:25:42 AM »
Talley makes a one piece ringmount. I have them on allmost all my rifles. They are my favorite scope mount system. If you lok-tite the base screws then there is nothing to work lose. Solid a mount as you can get. IMO  ;)

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 06:28:39 AM »
Locks you into a scope height. Why not just one piece gun, scope, ring, base as long as you are at it?

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 06:35:34 AM »
You buy the ringmount in the height you need. If you like to change scopes ofter they are not as good but if you mount a scope & just leave it alone they work great.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:58:01 AM »
I don't change my scopes around. Once I set this rig up it will stay that way.

Wreckhog, I'm soliciting an experienced or intelligent opinion. With every variable you eliminate the degree of accuracy goes up, just like handloading.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 02:07:18 AM »
most serious long range shooters wont use a one piece base as it can put your action in a bind if your mounting holes arent exact and very seldom are they perfect.
blue lives matter

Offline helotaxi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »
most serious long range shooters wont use a one piece base as it can put your action in a bind if your mounting holes arent exact and very seldom are they perfect.

That doesn't make any sense.  Two piece bases are much more likely to be misaligned and you wouldn't even know it.  With a one-piece you know if the receiver is drilled crooked when the holes don't line up.  And most serious long range shooters have actions with the holes perfect.  Pretty much all tactical shooters use a one piece base with separate rings.

OP- The DNZ mounts are very nice.  Machined from a single billet are are pretty much as straight as you'll find.  On top of that they're affordable at around $50.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »
Lloyd, he's not talking about one piece bases but one piece base& ring. You get two front & rear.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE