Author Topic: making ersatz Magsafe projectiles?  (Read 339 times)

Offline hansg/Ups

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
making ersatz Magsafe projectiles?
« on: May 07, 2011, 09:35:28 AM »
Magsafe makes a projectile made of shotgun pellets held together with epoxy.Supposedly when it hits, it causes extensive tissue damage and doesn't exit the carcass.The only "rub"is that this ammunition is rather pricey[ditto Glasers'].
Has anyone tried making these, by filling Speer shot capsules with shot and some sort of adhesive/ glue?
In a KGP100 or Redhawk,they might be an interesting varmint load.
Thanks.

Offline indymadcaster

Re: making ersatz Magsafe projectiles?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 05:07:15 PM »
did it in 9mm 45acp 44 mag    melt the core out of a bullet leaving just the empty jacket   fill it with#9 or #12 shot   and the use a clear epoxy with a syringe from the bottom up    weight    and find a medium speed powder charge
 not super accurate past 15 yards    but hell on close up wild stuff     had a  `coon in the trash slipped out the back door  :D   snuck up   and pulled one off at 2-3 feet with 9mm   ended up wearing said `coon and had to hose off me , house    and clean guts off me and my gun  :o      Hey at least my experiment worked   :)

Offline indymadcaster

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 05:11:16 PM »
got lucky and had a bunch of magsafe  Agent 9mm loads 60? grain slug 1900+fps    was said to defeat class 3 armor     never got to test it                used a couple on roadhit deer    head shots went instant limp not even a quiver   8)

Offline Spector

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 05:21:27 PM »
About 13 years ago I made up some loads trying to roughly approximate the Magsafe 45 ACP SWAT load that had a 66 grain bullet at a ittle over 2100 fps out of my Glock 21.

My version started with a 300 grain XTP.  I melted out the lead and filled it up with 5 minute epoxy.  It weighed 61 grains and the best velocity I got was a little over 1900 fps.  They would flatten 3 liter soft drink bottles.  Accuracy was not outstanding though.

I have my doubts about the accuracy as a varmint bullet of hyper velocity fangible bullets that are epoxy around lead shot........Mike

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 08:43:06 AM »
  I don't believe these are for TARGET or competition use. Just across the room "self defense" accuracy.! You have to decide IF you want 25 yard groups on paper or BIG holes in vermin!