Author Topic: 7mm ultra mag recoil  (Read 1161 times)

Offline jake

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
7mm ultra mag recoil
« on: December 29, 2003, 06:55:56 AM »
Has anyone had any experance with this rifle.I am woundering how bad the recoil is and if it would be worth the beating for open country deer and occasionally elk,mule deer.

I've got a 700bdl ss in lawaway in this caliber but I'm second guessing it now,but what i've read about it,it sounds like a awsome round,and they say the recoil isn't that bad either so I thought i'd ask for you're help.

thanks guys :-D
jake

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
7mm ultra mag recoil
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 10:23:21 AM »
jake,

Maybe this will help you some;

7mm Rem. Mag., 175 gr. at 2,860 fps. in a 8.5 lb. rifle has 23.7 lbs. of free recoil.
7mm Ultra Mag., 175 gr. at 3,110 fps. in a 8.5 lb. rifle has 44.5 lbs. of free recoil.

As you can see it's goiung to be near close to double the recoil.  My advice to you is see if you can find someone that owns a 7mm Rem. Mag. and shoot it a few times.  While doing so remember that the 7mm RUM is going to kick you almost double what you are feeling.  Then you need to decide if it's worth it to you.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
7mm ultra mag recoil
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 06:38:52 AM »
Lawdog makes good sense.  If you enjoy getting hit with that much recoil go for it.  My 7mm is the baby of mag calibers and it is fun to shoot.  I had one in 7m Weatherby mag (which has less recoil that what you are looking at) and it was not fun to shoot.  I like to shoot my rifles for much more than just hunting.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline DirtyHarry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
7mm ultra mag recoil
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 09:23:15 PM »
Lawdog,
If you dont mind me asking,where did you get your recoil info for the 175 gr bullet? all I could find was a listing for a 160 gr at 3200fps in a 8.5 lb rifle at 29.4 ft lbs. Thanks
The early bird get's the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese.....

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
7mm ultra mag recoil
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 10:40:39 PM »
Lawdog,if 7mm ultra mag kicks that hard,then what is the recoil on my Mod 70 "Super Shadow" .300 WSM w/180 gr lead weighting in at less than 7 lbs. w/scope and fully loaded?I yhink I need to trade rifles :roll: .                               Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Lawdog

7mm ultra mag recoil
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 12:49:47 PM »
DirtyHarry,

Recoil calculator in my RCBS Load program.  I did notice that I hit the wrong key on the keyboard.  It should read 34.5 not 44.5.  My mistake and I appoligize to all for the mis-print.  Teach me to proof read better before hitting the submit button.   :oops:

ihuntbucks,

It all depends at what velocity the 180 gr. load your using.  If it is near say 2860 fps. then you will be getting, according to my calculator, 26.07 foot pounds of free recoil.  What is the velocity of the load you are using?  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.