Author Topic: Falling block verses break open action  (Read 6110 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Falling block verses break open action
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 08:27:54 AM »
There are both lever and bolt guns that seperate also. Some light ones .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »
Opinions vary. Don't think a falling block is any more accurate than a quality break open. We are not talking handi's here. Although those can be accurate too.

Encores seem to be accurate enough for most any hunting chore.

Compare in the same price range and there's not much difference in longevity or accuracy. The only real difference is preference.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Casull

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 12:04:53 PM »
Yeah, I know every break action can shoot 1/4 moa at 500 yards.  But, overall I'll still put my faith in a rigid action/barrel and a one piece stock.  Just stubborn, I guess.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »
  My break open action guns seem pretty accurate to me, for just hunting guns with hunting bullets,

DM

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 12:42:59 PM »
Casull, what kind of falling block do you have that has a one piece stock & shoots 1/4" groups?

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Casull

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »
Sorry, had my mind on bolt actions when I mentioned the one piece stock.    But, the rigid, one piece action/barrel still applies.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »
I remember when most Dangerous game guns were all break open.Just something special about Bwana with his double over his shoulder.Its about what you can afford and what suits you and both have an equal place in my life and heart

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 02:40:01 AM »
  I've owned several Ruger #1's, and only one in 243 Win. would group as good as the above targets.  And, that was AFTER a LOT of screwing around with the forend ect., plus reloaded ammo...  The above targets (and i have shot a lot more like them) are from my break open guns, right out of the box with reloaded ammo.

DM

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2011, 08:06:15 AM »
Speaking of which is faster.  I shot my Hi Wall in 45/70 at a Quigley bucket shoot and my 2 hits in 11 sec. was in 1st until the last shooter with a handi in 45/70 got 2 hits in 5.3 sec.  His did have an ejector and mine didn't but those little guns can be fast.
H08

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 01:54:32 AM »
  I don't know if it's true but I've heard that the Martinis were the fastest shooting of the breach loading single shot rifles.  Aparently the Brits had the drill down so they could lay out sustained 'rapid' fire that was pretty impressive.  Passing on the hearsay for what it's worth.

One thing I like about break opens is that you can see from a distance that someone is carrying it in a safe mode. I have noticed people walking with an open double shotgun in the field.  I know from any distance I can see them that he's got his gun cleared.  When I see hunters carrying along a logging road with other types of action I sure hope they cleared the chamber, but with a break open I know they did.  Is that a be-all end-all endorsement of break opens over other actions?  No.  It's just an observation of another good feature of them.

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 07:01:50 AM »
This discussion seems to be another Ford/Chevy or chocolate/vanilla type. I prefer falling block because they scratch my itch.
I have a Ruger #3 with a DouglasXX #8 chambered in 250/3000 Ackley Improved. I have taken PD's out past 350yds.
I had a Handi in 7mm08 that shot very well. It did not scratch my itch so I gave it to a young man who had done several
favors for me. He did not own a centerfire rifle. If either or both scratches your itch have at it!
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

Don't ask for my opinion if your mind is made-up.
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 09:25:07 AM »
Its not so much ford chevy as its solid axle vs ID suspension . Out the box both work after some miles or rounds which will still be in good working order with the lest attention. As for those dangerous game guns , its common to have them checked and adjusted after each season if used much. They are used for speed of loading and how many falling block double rifles are out there ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 08:01:48 AM »
I have large fingers and thumbs so loading/unloading a scope sighted falling block is not as easy as loading/unloading a scope sighted break-over. Also, my beak-overs are Thompson-Center TCR's so I have more barrels than guns and a .17 Hornet varmint rifle can become a 20-ga slug gun for deer season in a couple minutes.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2011, 05:31:57 PM »
               I have 2 Martini cadets  , a .310 and a .22 hornet . both rifles are just on 100 years old. Their actions are in far better order than my 2010 Handi  which needed a .002" shim on the underlug pivot pin from "new" to get an acceptable degree of accuracy. I am not "bagging " Handis , they are value for $ .But in my opinion the falling block action has the edge on the break action on all counts .
                I can't comment on more expensive rifles eg. Ballards , Low/High wall Winchesters or any of the Euro break actions. More $$$$ usually buys a fire arm assembled with a greater attention to detail ( tho not always). Sadly for me  :-[  I have  never had the surplus cash to buy one.
                Gaz
four martinis here   357,  22 , 45-70, 30-30 AI. one rolling block 32-20 one trapdoor 43 Spanish bunch of handis also. The other style single shots are less picky about ammo to get good accuracy and they maintain good accuracy longer.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2011, 05:05:27 AM »
Casull,

If you lived & hunted in Alaska where 90% of the state has no roads you would understand the flying in small planes issue. Most of you guys are used to putting your gun in a case into your pick-up and driving to your hunting destination. In Alaska you fly.

I once flew out to the western artic, lower yukon river delta, and my weight limit in the bush plane was 40#. My bag for a 3 week trip weighted 38# including my gun & ammo. It all fit into a medium size duffel bag. Try that with a high wall.  ;)

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2011, 05:22:13 AM »
We have several work & ministry crews visit our church here in southeast alaska every year. Of course we explain to each of them the importance of traveling lite in bush alaska. They always assure us that the know how to travel lite but show up with 2 large suitcases & a couple of carry ons and complain when they get hit with excess bagage charges.  :o  There are no roads out here you fly or travel by boat in some cases.

I remember one young couple that visited our church to do a youth ministry. I had explained all this to them along with the fact that you could not just leave & go home at will. One evening the lady recieved a call that her dad had taken ill & been admited to the hospital in Anchorage. There was no way for her to get there until the next morning. She spent a verry uncomfortable night worring about her dad. We call Alaska Air & changed her ticket to the first flight the next morning but there was still no public transportation to get her to the airport, so one of our village fishermen took her the 20 miles by fishing boat to the airport. She never expressed a desire to return again to our beautiful island. The realities of bush life had set in and it was not for her.... ;)

So you see, If you live down south there is really no way for you to understand how we live & survive up here in Alaska.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2011, 05:43:51 AM »
 ;D  Sure you can get anything out there but it will cost you. And make life harder for you & your pilot.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Casull

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2011, 05:53:10 AM »
Never claimed to be an expert . . . but I do tend to note what those that are there are actually doing (the vast majority, not the exception).   ;)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2011, 06:36:05 AM »
I don't believe the TV shows are of residents of Alaska. Those are about as much real Alaska as the cruise ships.  :o  Those shows show people just like you from the outside who insist on doing things that way, so for money the outfitters & guides accomidate them. Thats not the way most of us do it that live here.  ;)

Your just a cheechako, Come on up and travel & hunt the bush and then you can become a sourdough.  ;D

Regards,

Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Casull

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2011, 06:44:14 AM »
Never been there (though I would love to), but I'd bet cash that most do not carry and use break down single shots.  Any takers?
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2011, 07:11:54 AM »
I would say a bunch of us do use them.If have to be small town though as folks in Los Anchorage drive everywhere and live on hunting shows.

Offline Casull

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2011, 07:48:43 AM »
I would say a bunch of us do use them.

I didn't say anything about a "bunch", whatever that is.  Would you say "most"?
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »
Most of you "Outsiders" do use bolt actions, I agree. We are talking Alaskans.  ;D  And shareing with you what works for us in our situation. This is not hypothethical.......But based on experience. Not from watching what the hollywood types do. A bunch is more than a few..

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »
Casull,

Most of the time I don't use a single shot. Don't know where you got that idea..

DM showed a picture of what we use. A drilling, which gives us 3 shots but in a much more compact gun than a bolt gun. Many do use single shots though. I just like having a shotgun, high power rifle, & a 22mag all in one gun. One gun does it all. I believe SE uses a single shot. There are also a lot of double rifles up here. They are break open guns like is very popular in Africa. Nothing faster for the second shot than a double rifle with double triggers.

Regards,  :o
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Casull

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2011, 09:16:16 AM »
Pastorp, you're right, we were talking about drillings.  I would imagine they are even more limited in number.  However, you do understand that when I watch those hunting shows, there are ALASKAN guides involved.  And, as far as I recall, EVERY ONE of them was toting a bolt action. 
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2011, 10:37:52 AM »
Casull, Something you may not be aware of is that quite a few alaskan Guides live outside most of the year. As do some of our fishermen. They just come up to work just like you drive to work. Only they fly instead of drive.

Just recieved a call this morning from one of our "local fishermen" that lives in Seattle to meet him at the ferry, he's coming in to start his work gillnetting for the season. He has already commuted for 2 other fisheries.  ;)  Alaska is not like any other place..........

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2011, 11:43:46 AM »
Well casull, According to the Alaska state residency rules, if you reside in Alaska for a period of I full year (jan-jan) with the intent of staying you are a Alaskan resident. My fisherman friend was born here on the Rez, is a Alaska native american but at the moment cannot claim Alaska Residency.

Yes people living in Anchorage can qualify, but generally are looked on as not real alaskans by those living in the bush. Would love for you to come up and visit. I think you would love it. And of course my views may or may not be the same as all alaskans. After all I've only been traveling & living in Alaska for 20years. To some I'm not a real Alaskan. There is a pecking order don't ya know... ;)

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Casull

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2011, 11:57:46 AM »
I think you would love it.

Pastorp, on that I think we can agree.   ;)

Oh, would it be ok if I brought my .338 bolt rifle and .454 revolver (I don't have any drillings)?   :D
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2011, 12:32:12 PM »
Sure, before my hand issues I shot and hunted with a freedom arms in 454casull. They are great guns. Wish I could still shoot one.  ;D  If you really want to come I'll host you. We have a 4BR house with just the wife & I so there is plenty of room.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Casull

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2011, 01:08:28 PM »
That is quite generous.  I wish I could take you up on it.   :)
Aim small, miss small!!!