Author Topic: Falling block verses break open action  (Read 6117 times)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Falling block verses break open action
« on: May 07, 2011, 03:27:17 PM »
What's your preference & why.

After years of shooting both I think I really prefer a break open action. Just easier to break open for safe carry and unloading & loading.

You can buy most any price range in either style. But the real cheep models all seem to be break open. But then there are the merkels.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Falling block verses break open action
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »
My preference is for a falling block. 

I can't see how flopping the whole front three fifths or so of the rifle over to unload and clear it is "easier" than just dropping the lever of a falling block, especially if you need a fast second shot.   It is very unlikely that you are going to reload a break action in a hurry without spooking any game within 200 yards.  Add to that the problem of reloading a break action while staying in shooting position, especially when prone, and the falling block has a clear edge. 

Lance

Offline hillbill

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:55:56 PM »
my 100+ year old winchester hi wall will shoot and kik shells out fast as yu can go.ive had break open rifles and they didnt operate near as fast. if thats what yur after.i shoot a single shot becuz i pick my shots and only need one.if i was in a combat situation, id definitely take a falling block rifle over a break open.as far as safe carry, drop the the lever and its good to go.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »
Falling block for previous stated reasons.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »
What about my rolling block?
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline Gaz-52

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 01:16:29 AM »
               I have 2 Martini cadets  , a .310 and a .22 hornet . both rifles are just on 100 years old. Their actions are in far better order than my 2010 Handi  which needed a .002" shim on the underlug pivot pin from "new" to get an acceptable degree of accuracy. I am not "bagging " Handis , they are value for $ .But in my opinion the falling block action has the edge on the break action on all counts .
                I can't comment on more expensive rifles eg. Ballards , Low/High wall Winchesters or any of the Euro break actions. More $$$$ usually buys a fire arm assembled with a greater attention to detail ( tho not always). Sadly for me  :-[  I have  never had the surplus cash to buy one.
                Gaz

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 03:15:26 AM »
if i was in a combat situation, id definitely take a falling block rifle over a break open.as far as safe carry, drop the the lever and its good to go.
I'm a big Handi fan, and have no problem with them, and have little need for second shots.  In a combat situation, I wouldn't be sitting there with a single shot......Custer made that mistake a long time ago.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 06:24:42 AM »
I have an Encore 222 with a Bergara barrel that will shoot Rem factory loads into 0.75" at a 100 yards and it is just a put together gun with no bedding or load development. now the glass helps being a 5x-15x Nikon but it shoots great.  A Blaser or merkel or a ruger or a high wall would have a hard time keeping up with this gun.   I buy and shoot and sell a lot of guns and barrels and I see very few that pattern instead of group if the obvious problems are addressed.   
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 07:17:08 AM »
I have a highwall and a Handi. Take the falling block! Plus there is nothing smoother than operating that highwall, just makes you go WOW!.
GuzziJohn

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 07:22:16 AM »
The falling block takes less room to reload , ya don't drop the bbl. , its stronger and can be chambered to more powerful rounds and wear is less of a problem. Read the topics that deal with the problems seen in break open actions then compare the number of problems in falling block actions. nuff said.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 08:52:26 AM »
There have always been gunsmiths to repare guns so all designs needed help at times. There are drop barrel guns and then there are drop barrel guns. Hinge design and action locking bolts make a big difference. The little H&R gets it done in the cheapest of ways and it works for its intended purpose but shimming of barrel lock-up is a easy art among owners.All work well in most cases.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 09:29:40 AM »
that may be true but I venture to say gunsmiths repair more break open actions than falling block with regard to single shots. Hey even the encore and contender have problems . Even the double gun break action can have a dolls head or cross bolt to help secure the action where most single shots do not .

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 11:53:12 AM »
You could buy a lot of handi rifles for what one of my drillings cost. If a handy wears out just buy another. If you hot rod a drilling or most break open rifles it will cost you. If you stay within the pressure limits they were designed for they last a long time.

Regards, 
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 12:10:05 PM »
There is no doubt in any reasonable man's mind that the falling block is stronger.  If shooting from a bench, it also allows reload without disturbing the shooting rest.  It also cost 4 - 5 times or more what my Handi's cost.  That's why I've got Handi's.

When all the wealth is re-distributed and I get my fair share, I plan to upgrade to custom falling blocks....... :D

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »
Hay Ben, think that will happen in our lifetime?  :o

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 06:26:48 PM »
I can't remember missing something on the first shot and hitting on the second shot as it was running away so the better second shot capability of the falling block was not an advantage to me. But being able to quickly open up a break over has been an advantage. Also, when crossing a small stream, or a low fence, or just wanting to be sure a rifle was open, the advantage goes to the break-over. It seems to me that once in a while it is easy to carry a break-over open over the shoulder like they show a African white hunter carrying a double. I suspect that the falling blocks have a little better accuracy potential but for use on game I prefer a break-over.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 02:20:46 AM »
second shot cap is good where I hunt as we can kill 2 a day  ;) like the two 8 pointers I got

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 07:28:08 AM »
I've killed deer that I missed with the first shot. But not using a single shot. Although I did shoot 2 turkeys once with a 50 cal. Hawken. Killed the first turkey with a shot at the base of the neck. Was able to reload and shoot at the second one. You just half to move real slow.  8)

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Casull

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 07:36:45 AM »
Never had any desire on the Handi's.  The falling blocks, however, are just darn cool.  As far as the Handi's being cheaper, there are a couple of bolt guns you can buy for about what the Handi's go for.  To me that is a no brainer, I'll take the 3, 4 or 5 shots offered by the bolts (plus they are usually capable of greater accuracy).
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 10:05:19 AM »
Face it those looking for a cheap thrill get the inexpensive break open gun . It works but needs maintance in the wear areas. We can hail it elevate it or what ever but in the end if you put lipstix on a pig you still have a pig .

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 11:48:37 AM »
  I have to say I like the falling block better than the break open actions, tough I have some Handis and make no excuses for that.  I like some features of each type of action.

It should be noted that this discussion has by and large lumped all the break open guns with the NEF.  To be fair, there have been some excellent break open actions made that make the Handi look like a low dollar, walk around the woods, go-bang gun.  Oh wait, that's what they are.  That's what they are meant to do.  Point being, there are some greater and lesser examples of both the break open and falling breach type actions.

Maybe some compay somewhere is going to come out with a line of "entry level" price point low walls.  Who knows.  If they do I'll tell you this: they will be thoroughly discusses, debated and contemplated here on the Graybeard Forum.  I hope it happens.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 05:49:07 AM »
One thing I like about the break open rifle is that I can seperate the barrel & the action with butstock & put it into a much shorter case for travel. The last couple of years I have not traveled to go hunting, but in my lifetime I have traveled quite a bit and the shorter case is just much easier to travel with.
Thats something you can't do with a falling block. I have a couple of falling blocks and like them but if I was forced to choose one type of action it would be a break barrel, and it would not be a handi. You see I'm not a bench shooter, I'm a hunter, pure & simple. And as a hunting gun I believe the break barrel gun to be superior. JMO
If forced to choose one gun for all my hunting I believe it would be a drilling................ ;)

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Casull

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 07:15:12 AM »
And as a hunting gun I believe the break barrel gun to be superior.

Based on what?  Not being a troll, I'm curious about what you think makes them superior (other than the smaller travel size, which doesn't really have anything to do with hunting).
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 07:41:26 AM »
One thing I like about the break open rifle is that I can seperate the barrel & the action with butstock & put it into a much shorter case for travel. The last couple of years I have not traveled to go hunting, but in my lifetime I have traveled quite a bit and the shorter case is just much easier to travel with.
Thats something you can't do with a falling block. I have a couple of falling blocks and like them but if I was forced to choose one type of action it would be a break barrel, and it would not be a handi. You see I'm not a bench shooter, I'm a hunter, pure & simple. And as a hunting gun I believe the break barrel gun to be superior. JMO
If forced to choose one gun for all my hunting I believe it would be a drilling................ ;)

Regards,

I'm with you Byron...  When flying and space is very limited, having a gun that i can take apart works out perfectly.  When apart i don't have to worry about the scope being knocked off, and i can keep the case/gun right with me as i'm flying!  I can't even guess how many air miles this cased gun has on it, or how much meat it's put in my freezer!

DM

Offline Casull

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 07:44:29 AM »
i can keep the case/gun right with me as i'm flying!

Where can you do that?
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 07:44:57 AM »
When do they allow a GUN in carry on ?

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 07:59:58 AM »
  Every bush plane i fly in!  Meanwhile, my gun it short enough to be "hidden" in a sea bag along with my clothing and ignored by all folks who love to steal them!

DM

Offline Casull

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 08:03:32 AM »
Every bush plane i fly in!

That would be the same with any rifle, not just single shot break actions.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 08:08:57 AM »
Every bush plane i fly in!

That would be the same with any rifle, not just single shot break actions.

It's all about space, and weight...  My break open gun doesn't need a LONG case to take up space in the plane, and it is very short in a sea bag...  If it doesn't break down, it just plain takes up more room and isn't as handy.  Of course, i already pointed all of that out, you are just chooseing to ignore it.

DM

Offline Casull

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 08:24:32 AM »
It's all about space, and weight...  My break open gun doesn't need a LONG case to take up space in the plane, and it is very short in a sea bag...  If it doesn't break down, it just plain takes up more room and isn't as handy.  Of course, i already pointed all of that out, you are just chooseing to ignore it.

Ok.  I wasn't ignoring that it is shorter (about 16 or 17 inches), but was trying to figure out why you were making a big deal out of being able to take it on a bush plane (same as any other gun) and weight (don't know why you threw this one in there, since there wouldn't be any real difference).  Personally, I just prefer the integrity and accuracy of a one piece rifle.
Aim small, miss small!!!