Author Topic: Turkey's 0 Hogs 6 + 1 big rattle snake  (Read 962 times)

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
Turkey's 0 Hogs 6 + 1 big rattle snake
« on: May 07, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »
We went to McCurtain county for a little turkey hunting. We have a 8000 acre lease east of Broken Bow lake.
There has not been a lot of turkey on our lease in the last 3 years I suspect that pelletized  fertilizer used by the timber folks is to blame.
Anyway to weather was to warm the wind blew and the birds weren't cooperating at all. So we hunted early and then scouted out some new stand sites and check some of the new clear cuts. In the evenings we drove around counting deer and tried calling coyotes. There was plenty of deer but coyotes were tough to get in to shotgun range. We seen a lot of hogs and hog sign, since they leased all this land out and cut off access to those not on one of the leases hogs have really started to be a major problem. So hogs are a kill as many as you can any time you get the chance option.
One cool evening while driving through the lease we jumped a herd of hogs coming out of a clear cut. My buddy was driving and he started hazing these hogs with the pickup while I unloaded the 870 on them  with #4s through a tight turkey choke. I dropped 1 in the road and a 3 of them crawled off into the brush and died. We stopped and took a cell phone pic of the one in the ditch.

The next morning I busted another one with a 22lr the first round hit the hog in the back of the head and it went to shaking it's head and it ran in a circle coming right back around in front of me. I put the next shot just behind it's ear and laid down we finished it with a 44 mag. 30 minutes later we had some cross the road in front of the truck I caught the last one going up a steep bank with the 870.

Then one afternoon we caught this guy crossing the road over 6 ft with 10 rattles and button.

Crappy cell phone pic

Pat

" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: Turkey's 0 Hogs 6 + 1 big rattle snake
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »
Good stuff.
Last time I was down in that neck of the woods the hogs weren't quite as bad.
But I've heard from several folks who still hunt down there they are becoming a real problem.
Did you bring any home with you?
That's a nice rattlesnake also.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Turkey's 0 Hogs 6 + 1 big rattle snake
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »
I brought back 2 small ones about 15- 20 pounds  they are the best smoker meat you can get. ;D
I hope to go back down the end of this month to put up a new tower blind and maybe shoot some more hogs.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356