Author Topic: Slug gun reflex sight recommendation  (Read 787 times)

Offline jason045

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
Slug gun reflex sight recommendation
« on: May 07, 2011, 06:46:29 PM »
I would like to install a reflex type sight on a newly acquired H&R ultralight slug hunter.  I have narrowed my choices to either the Burris Fastfire II or the Docter Reflex II Plus.  The spec sheet shows them to be very similar in all the measurables, but I would like to hear from someone who has real world experience with these.  My only experience with this type of sight was a knockoff eotech that you couldn't even see in the daylight, so any help will be appreciated.
You never know when ya got too much gun, but ya dang sure know when ya aint got enough!

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Slug gun reflex sight recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:13:09 AM »
Jason

I never used the Doctor sight, though I hear they have a good reputation.  I do have several Fastfires; one on an AR, and one on a 1911 .45acp.  In both applications, I think they work well, and have proven durable, as well as maintained there sight in settings.  A bonus is the small size.  One thing I have noticed is battery draw, in the "sleep mode" (unit turned on, with cover in place) will still draw a battery down to quick for my taste.  I always turn the unit off when I am done using it, and have had excellent battery life that way.  Leupold makes a similar sight, as does J-Point, but both are more $.  We had real Eotech's on are issue M-4 and Colt 9mm sub guns at work.  They have excellent battery life, and are all around great sights, but are bulky, and expensive.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 02:04:09 AM »
only one i have experience with is the trijicon. It works great and never needs batterys.
blue lives matter

Offline jason045

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 07:14:01 PM »
Through my bit of google research, I have found several reviews that said the trijicon "washed out" in bright light.  Really nothing negative about the burris or docter.   The burris can be had for $200 with mount.  The docter runs about $240 plus a mount which I figure to be about 30 bucks.  Leaning toward the fastfire at the moment, but I have till this weekend to make up my mind.
You never know when ya got too much gun, but ya dang sure know when ya aint got enough!