Author Topic: night sights- helpful or hindrance?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline 3030guy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
night sights- helpful or hindrance?
« on: May 08, 2011, 05:45:01 PM »
Just bought a used Glock 22 (love it!) with night sights. The glow is somewhat dim but still visible, and will probably need replaced in a year or two. I'm guessing you LEO's could answer this, and my question is whether or not the glow of the night sights obscure the target. Will focusing on the nice glowing dots prevent seeing a dark target against a dark background? Testing my sights out in a dark room, I don't think I could hit anything.

Offline LocnLod

Re: night sights- helpful or hindrance?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 06:25:49 PM »
The tritium in night sights won't glow enough to blind you from seeing the target.  They are just bright enough for you to use them if there isn't enough light for you to see the notch/post of your metal sights.  The white outlines on most tritium sights are there to help you when there isn't enough light to see see the notch/post but there is too much light for the tritium glow to be seen.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:11:52 AM »
If it is so dark that you cannot see your sites how do you identify your target as friend or foe?   Just saying.

In a rapidly unfolding, high stress, close quarters encounter with a BG the likelihood of you remembering to line up your sites, hold steady and squeeze the trigger is very unlikely.   

I recommend that you do not replace the night sites with new ones but use the money to buy practice ammo and practice instinctive point shooting with your Glock.     
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:49:04 AM »
They make finding the gun easy in the dark .
The first gun I had with night sights was laying on my night stand , about dark thirty I woke from a deep sleep and saw two beeady eyes looking at me . I don't really know why I thought about a snake at the same time but my wife refuses to allow a gun with night sights anywhere near where I sleep since. She got pushed out the bed and can't see the humor in it all.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »
They make finding the gun easy in the dark .
The first gun I had with night sights was laying on my night stand , about dark thirty I woke from a deep sleep and saw two beeady eyes looking at me . I don't really know why I thought about a snake at the same time but my wife refuses to allow a gun with night sights anywhere near where I sleep since. She got pushed out the bed and can't see the humor in it all.

That's the best "Night Sight" story I've heard!! Shame that your spouse couldn't find any humor in that event.
I can't think of a disadvantage to having night sights, other than in Shootall's case. I've used them for night qualifications along with a handheld or gun mounted light. When the white light is on, it's easy to see even non tritium sights. It's always important to identify your target, so in MOST cases the use of a white light is advisable.
I like night sights on my duty/carry/bedside pistol. My bedside pistol also wears a white light. My wife and I are the only occupants in our house. If I were to awake to the presence of another person in my bedroom, while I'm laying there touching my wife, (we sleep close) I don't need a white light to identify the intruder. The coroner can do that later. I have to assume that anyone in my house uninvited and having passed through a locked gate on my 5' fence, dodged the outside dogs, then entered my locked house, wasn't selling Girl Scout Cookies. Using a white light under those circumstances, means giving up a large advantage. Those night sights would show up great on a dark form.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 02:51:40 PM »
I have a laser sight that is very easy to put on and take off. I put it on my PF-9 at night and keep the PF-9 by my bed. The reason being is that in the dark the laser helps me aquire my target much faster and more reliably. I don't have to aim, just point. Of course, as in any situation, you need to be very sure of your target. That particularly applies to in your home in the dark. Years ago a noise awoke me from a sound sleep. Someone was standing behind the blinds, I could just make out their shape and see movement, and the rattling of the blinds is what woke me. I grabbed my pistol and took aim but held off pulling the trigger waiting for the person to step clear so I could see them. Turned out it was my 11 year old daughter. It had turned cold and she was simply shutting the window. Had I been trigger happy it would have been tragic to say the least. I can never stress enough that no matter what you are shooting at you should know your target and what is beyond and to both sides. You can't put the bullet back in the gun once it's fired!

Offline 3030guy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 04:37:33 PM »
Great points concerning target id. I think I'm going to keep them as is, and as someone else suggested, spend the cash on practice ammo.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 02:25:51 AM »
One real concern that I have seen demonstrated was if your attacker gets behind you or you hold your gin so he can see the sights new night sights will show your position

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 04:22:26 AM »
Is that a greater concern than you being able to see your sights to make a hit?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 04:25:57 AM »
I guess that depends on the location of your attacker  ;). I mention it to make folks aware .

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »
Good point and thanks for the clarification. 

I think it's hard for a man to pay ~$100 for something that is so physically small.  It's like buying jewelry.  They will take any excuse not to get them. 

I see it as something that can help you.  As far as cost goes, most of us probably have thousands worth of guns in the safe that aren't filling the role of protector, they are just there because we enjoy shooting them.  Add to that  thousands in accessories, ammunition, etc.  You can usually find a set of night sights for a Glock for less than $80.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 03:11:09 PM »
They are easier to pick up in very dim light, the target does need to be in enough light to identify. What exactly could be bad about seeing your sights? I know there are those who prefer a lighted front sight only.

They can be harder to use during the day and that could be considered a hindrance. Mepro sights have a ring around them that does help . Trijicon lack this ring, or at least historically did. I have seen a new model that has a nice orange ring painted around the light. Worth looking into in my opinion I have a set that are nearly worthless. 15 yrs old I believe.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline shot1

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 03:52:49 AM »
I can see having night sights on LEO weapons but for the average person on a self defense weapon NO. The only time you would be in immanent danger of severe body harm or death being inflicted on you in a self defense situation the perpetrator will be close enough to you so you can use a shoulder point shooting stance. With a shoulder point stance your feet are shoulder width apart your upper body, head and arms are locked in a triangle with a two hand hold on the pistol. You turn at the waste. Where your head is pointing is where your weapon is pointing. Practice this style point shooting and you will be amazed at how accurately you can put rounds on target without seeing your sights. Unless you practice all the time and shoot a whole bunch, when lead starts flying in your direction you will never be concentrating on front sight anyway.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 07:48:57 AM »
I can see having night sights on LEO weapons but for the average person on a self defense weapon NO. The only time you would be in immanent danger of severe body harm or death being inflicted on you in a self defense situation the perpetrator will be close enough to you so you can use a shoulder point shooting stance. With a shoulder point stance your feet are shoulder width apart your upper body, head and arms are locked in a triangle with a two hand hold on the pistol. You turn at the waste. Where your head is pointing is where your weapon is pointing. Practice this style point shooting and you will be amazed at how accurately you can put rounds on target without seeing your sights. Unless you practice all the time and shoot a whole bunch, when lead starts flying in your direction you will never be concentrating on front sight anyway.

Good points unless you are seated in a car during a hijacking , in bed as the attacker enters your bed room or about 25 other comprised positions I can think of the least of which may be you are confined to a wheel chair. If the gun is ysed outdoors as critter defense or to control critters the sights are helpful in low light.

Offline shot1

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 03:15:55 AM »
In all those situations mentioned the perpetrator will be almost close enough to touch so who needs sights.

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 05:32:56 AM »
Shootall, some won't be convinced on this subject but I commend you for trying. 

Offline S.S.

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 02:04:49 PM »
I find them pretty useless for me personally.
Putting a light source between me and a target
does hinder my sight picture :o
everyone's eyes are different though.
Much to my eye doctors confusion, I see
quite well in the dark. 
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".