Author Topic: OT: Cylinder Removal on Iver Johnson Mdl 66 Trailsman << Did it! >>  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Old No7

• Trade Count: (0)
Sorry,  this is "off topic" for H&R, but it IS a top-break revolver!  And I'm hoping someone here can help me out...

Does anyone know the trick to remove the cylinder from the quill on the 8-shot IJ Model 66 Trailsman revolver?

I removed the rear sight, so the little lug on that is not the issue.  And I unscrewed the ejector rod from the ratchet, so that's not it...  All the drawings I have seen show there's no pin or catch or anything mechanical that keeps the cylinder on the quill -- but mine won't budge at all...  I can see 2 small "notches" in the quill, about 180 degrees apart, and those rotate along with the cylinder, but nothing seems to want to "unscrew" -- and that's probably not good anyway for a cylinder that is supposed to revolve. This has me stumped...

Please help if you can, and I will try to post some pix after I get her all cleaned up.  No, it's not an H&R 999 Sportsman (luckily, I do have one of those already), but I think under all the grime I am cleaning up, there's a good old top-break that wants to be shot!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Re: OT: Cylinder Removal on Iver Johnson Mdl 66 Trailsman
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 04:57:51 PM »
Try holdingthe rod,padded with a set of vise grips, then try the cylinder both ways to see if it will unscrew. This is how the Smith top breaks come off.

Offline Old No7

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: OT: Cylinder Removal on Iver Johnson Mdl 66 Trailsman
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:27:34 PM »
Figured it out -- finally!

By aligning the largest "notch" with 1 spot on the frame, and I was able to carefully tap the cylinder off the quill.  Turns out the fluting on that chamber is maybe 1/16" longer than all other flutes, so that's a visual aid to help line it all up.  (And yes -- I learned that AFTER the fact!  ;))

Since there are some top-break fans here, I will try to post some pictures later if no one minds.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH