Author Topic: Priming question  (Read 749 times)

Offline TonyS

• Trade Count: (0)
Priming question
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:25:58 AM »
I was recently priming some cases in front of the tv and apparently got the primers reversed so that the inside of the primer is now seated in the shell to the outside.  I know better than to try and de-prime them manually.  Can I put them in my rifle and pop the primer or should I toss those shells?

Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Priming question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 06:46:09 AM »
I've done it a time or two, just wear hearing and eye protection and deprime as usual with slow and easy pressure on the press handle, the few that I've done didn't pop. You can try to kill the primer first, but it isn't as easy as people think.

Tim

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/killprimers.shtml
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 07:55:04 AM »
In 50+ years of loading I have done a few, primers are made to go off with about 18lbs of force from the firing pin and they won't fire in your gun backwards.

You ever drop a loaded round way doesn't it go off take a primer and throw it against concret or metal won't go off.

Why don't primers go off when you seat them.

A friend that has loaded longer then me showed me something with a primer he put it in a vice and squashed it did not go off he took a hammer hit the vice and it went off sounded just like a cap gun.

Primers are made to go off with a hard direct strike.

So push it out you will live thru it. ;D
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline TonyS

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:06:01 PM »
Thanks!  No problem at all.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:32:29 AM »
Trying to fire a reversed primer would not be my choice. I'd fear damage to the firing pin or other works, blowing junk into the bolt or what ever.

I have had no problem carefully pushing the primer out in a deprime die. Just don't slam the case into the die.

I've even had some get sideways somehow and I've mushed them into the pocket before I knew I had a problem.  That made me more concerned but they came out.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline upstech76

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »
I've pushed a couple out that seated backwards myself without any issue.

Offline shot1

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »
Wear leather gloves and safety glasses and place a heavy rag around the shell holder area and just run them slowly through your sizing die and pop them out. I have NEVER had one to go off but the gloves etc. are just for that one in a million.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 03:45:41 PM »
Same for me.  It certainly warrants your concern and any extra safety precautions, but I doubt you will have a problem.  Wonder how often it happens on high speed factory equipment?

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »
Deprime them, slow steady pressure----------it's no big deal.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 05:55:55 PM »
You pushed them in, it takes  the same pressure to push them out.   ;)

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Bravo 51...Over

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 01:56:21 AM »
This has happened to me also.  Usually when I get in a bit of a hurry the primer sometimes flips  or winds up sideways.  It seems to happen more often with CCI primers than Winchester.

Charles P. - I've found about a double handful of rounds at the police range where we shoot that have either the primer in backwards or sideways.  This is factory rounds, Rem. UMC and Winchester.  I took one to our shift meeting for "Show and Tell" to emphasize CHECK EACH ROUND YOU LOAD IN YOUR MAGAZINE.  That could make for an interesting situation if your weapon goes "click" when it should "bang!"and the BG get the next round off first.  That's why practicing immediate action drills are so important.
Written on a cardboard C-ration case, Khe Sanh 1968..." For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected never know." Author unknown