Author Topic: Is this right?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Is this right?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 06:32:03 AM »

One of the problems with the chart for those bores under 2" is the grey area between 1 1/2" and 2".
I have fired my 1 3/4" bore with Fox balls over 700gr of cannon grade and it seems light

There are two ways you can interpret that chart.
Remember these are max load numbers not goals to achieve.  You are at 700 grains now, work up incrementally towards  900 grains. I think you will see a dramatic difference. May not be good.
Once you get the performance you are looking for stop.  If performance improves  but still isn't quite there when you get to 900 go ahead and work towards the 1110.
Go slow and go for what works best not maximum.

Ok first off gray areas and multiple interpretations of what is a maximum load should have everyone on full alert.  This is where things can go very wrong very fast.  Maximum loads are NEVER to be exceeded and NOT ALL GUNS CAN BE LOADED TO MAXIMUM!!!  I say this as a reloader with 20+ years experience, every load manual will repeat a version of that warning. 

Keith
[/quote]

First let me say there is not a gray area in Switlik's chart it covers .5 inch and goes to  1.5 inches.  It does not cover from 1.5 to 2 inches. No grey just black and white. I does not cover from 1.5 to 2 inch.

Second I have to  ask what did you find when you made the extensions  that put you on high alert?   

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 07:06:46 AM »
when you came up with two different methods of extending the chart, and ended up with two different maximum loads is what set me off.  I know there is a safety margin, but prefer not to use it.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Double D

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »
when you came up with two different methods of extending the chart, and ended up with two different maximum loads is what set me off.  I know there is a safety margin, but prefer not to use it.

Do either of those  projected maximums seem excessive or out of line. 

Offline keith44

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 09:03:34 AM »
No, but as I said earlier, not all guns can safely shoot "published" maximum loads

So when there is a possibility of two or more maximum loads from any number of sources that's when the man in charge of loading the powder charge needs to be on full alert.

Yes straight bore (ie not bottlenecked) case / cannon barrel is more forgiving than one with a constriction, and BP is more forgiving than smokeless.  But maximum loads are to be approached with great caution.  Also maximum loads, while impressive, are hard on the equipment.  No weapon wheather cannon or firearm, muzzleloader, or breechloader should be fired with only max loads.  Over time these will cause damage to the equipment.  Some of this damage can go undetected, until a rupture occurs.

Maybe I am overly cautious, but having seen rifles, shotguns, and one cannon barrel fail for other people.  So I approach maximum loads with perhaps too much caution, if that's possible.
Life member NRA

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 09:13:06 AM »
  So I approach maximum loads with perhaps too much caution, if that's possible.

Not possible.  One could only not engage in some quantity of questionable shooting - but that's contrasted with the alternative no one wants.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2011, 09:16:58 AM »
Thanks, I thought I missed something...

You are right to be cautious, I just thought i missed something.

Offline keith44

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2011, 12:37:34 PM »
I thought we were arguing the same point from different angles
 :)

Life member NRA

Offline Double D

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2011, 01:41:52 PM »
Oh I  don't find fault in the extensions, I just though you spotted something I didn't.

Offline keith44

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2011, 01:55:40 PM »
Oh no, just being me.

As an example of what I refer to (for my own personal reference) from the english proof load chart of 1887,  for a gun to pass the proofing to have a service charge (meaning the standard load that it will safely handle over it's lifetime) of just 82 grains of black powder and a one ounce load of shot, it must contain with no detectable damage multiple provisional proof and definative proof loads (omitted from the text by me) Todays muzzloaders, and cannons are not proof tested by the manufactures. At least not the US built ones, with one exception that I am aware of.  So the service loads recommended, and the max loads of current production muzzleloaders are just calculations. 
Life member NRA

Offline Double D

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2011, 04:25:32 PM »
Lets not even get started on the archiac proof system

Offline keith44

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2011, 08:08:05 PM »
Deal
 ;)
Life member NRA

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2011, 09:25:23 PM »
  So I approach maximum loads with perhaps too much caution, if that's possible.

Not possible.  One could only not engage in some quantity of questionable shooting - but that's contrasted with the alternative no one wants.
[/color]

Cat that was cool ,and I know you never said a mumbling word either . I had visions of that coming right from Wolfman in Kelly's hero's or the exact opposite as Spock the Vulcan .

Eyes rolling around in his head with the wolfman ,and a dead straight away 1000yd stare from Spock .

Thats good stuff CW  8)

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.