Author Topic: Lethal Cannons in use. OOPS! Almost Forgot the Story of "Old Betsy".  (Read 1877 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
     A Caponier is a form of Lethal Architecture used to house canister-firing howitzers which provided enfilade fire along the wet or dry ditch of a fort. They usually projected out from the back of a fort and protected the ‘Gorge Wall’, (this was the ‘scarp’ or inner wall of a moat), from Infantry attack.  They could sweep the Infantrymen and their scaling ladders off the wall with one blast!

Tracy and Mike

This is a Caponier at Fort Washington on the Potomac River.  It is designed to hold four flank howitzers within and two more cannon, En-Barbette on the Caponier’s roof.  From this position they can all sweep the entire Gorge wall that lies between two Demi-Bastions.

This is the very large North Caponier at Fort Nelson, Hampshire, U.K. used for defending the dry ditch.  Several 32 Pr. SBBL,  (smooth bore breech loaders) are mounted on traversing carriages, capable of firing canister shot containing 720, 16 gage round iron balls ahead of 3 Lbs. of BP.

This is a 24 Pdr. Flank Howitzer M1844, a favorite for defending ditches and Gorge walls on American Second and Third System Forts.  This one and three others were located in the prominent Caponier at Fort Washington on the Potomac, south of our nation’s capitol.

This is a nice side view of a Flank Howitzer at Fort Alcatraz on the Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay.  We find  these guns in almost every fort we visit.

This is a Flank  Defense Carronade that Mike and I saw at Ft. Morgan in Alabama.  We don’t know if the Confederate artillerymen had it to use when Admiral Farragut forced a passage past this heavily armed fort at the entrance to Mobile Bay in ’64.  Ft. Gaines is directly across the channel from Ft. Morgan and engaged Federal forces during the Battle of Mobile Bay.  Interestingly enough it has a type of Caponier that can only be called an “Armed Passageway” between the scarp wall and the counterscarp.  Riflemen aiming through rifle slits could cover the dry ditch in both directions.  No cannon would fit inside.

This is a photo of the Portsdown Artillery Volunteers running a 32 Pdr. SBBL out into Battery for a shot down the ditch at Ft. Nelson which was built to protect the high ground overlooking the large dock yard at Portsmouth.  This following link will get you to a youtube video of the volunteers loading and firing one of these guns:                                                               

http://www.palmerstonforts.org.uk/pav1/32pr.htm   

Go to the bottom of the page and click on the upper movie clip icon.

This is the Caponier which protects the large dry ditch at Ft. Hamilton in Brooklyn, NY.  It has embrasures for six, 24 Pdr. Flank Howitzers.  The parking lot is approx. 6 or 7 feet above the bottom of the old dry ditch.  This Caponier today houses the fort’s museum which contains an 1844  24 Pdr. Flank Howitzer on a Paulson Bros., Flank Howitzer Casemate Carriage, if I remember correctly.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: l
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 01:53:43 PM »
Building models , sometimes you forget how big the real ones are . Ed

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Lethal Cannons - Lethal Architecture
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 06:04:40 PM »
     That's right Ed, sometimes you do.  I remember the first 15" Rodman I crawled under up there in Spuddy's State, Maine, at Fort Knox.  Whoa!  It was a little spooky being under that whale looking for markings!

We found a few more photos featuring Caponiers  from our travels and also some in a website from the Friends of Fort McClary on the Atlantic Coast in Kittery, Maine.

Tracy and Mike

The following 3 pics are from the Friends of Fort McClary site that Mike and found recently.  When we explored the fort in 2007 it did not have the nice Carronade and Blockhouse Carriage that are featured in the photos below.  If you want to more about the fort and reenactors who fight battles there, go to the following website:

http://www.fortmcclary.org/Pages/photo_gallery.htm

The Caponier behind the reenactors was explored by us when we visited the fort in Kittery, Maine and we found it to be for riflemen only, as there are no cannon embrasures.  All three sides have rifle slits though.

Mike emerges from the rifleman’s Caponier.  Unbelievably, this Caponier was started in 1864 and completed in 1868, long after this type of defensive structure had ceased to be specified for any fort under construction in the 1860s.  Maybe lack of funds was the limiting factor.

Just two rifles can bear on the ocean approach from the Caponier.  Four on each side can bear on the scarp (seawall).

The Blockhouse at Fort McClary is the highest point within the fort.  The lower, stone walls are pierced with numerous rifle slits.  The upper structure of the Blockhouse is devoted to four artillery positions where, today, a single 12 Pdr. Carronade represents the original 4 cannon.

This Carronade looks brutally efficient in it’s present position overlooking the beach. The carriage is very unique, able to depress these Carronades to fire down the steep hill.  The Blockhouse is at least 40 feet above the Caponier.

This is the unfinished Northwest corner of the fort.  There is a very narrow bastion or Caponier here.  We suppose, being at a right angle corner of the fort and projecting outward from the corner, bisected by a 45 deg., angular line, it would technically be a full bastion, covering two curtain walls, as it does.  However, it is built exactly like a Caponier, so as we look at it’s chiseled granite masonry, we can see just how the first floor of a Caponier was built.

The view SE along the West curtain wall.  The fittings in the embrasures were the typical bronze, Totten Shutter hinge sockets common to the northern forts built late in the 3rd System years.  A slot for the tongue of a front pintle flank defense casemate carriage was there as well, under the granite, lintel.  Although we found no iron track in the floor, these embrasures were designed to allow you at least 90 degrees of traverse which was what you needed to get flanking fire parallel to the curtain wall.

This is a shot of the Bastion, sans roof.  It is narrow like most Caponiers and the granite structure is very interesting, exposed like this and not murky or mysterious at all in the light of day.  Approx. two granite blocks thick, about two and a half feet, it would stand up to musketry and light artillery, especially with the automatically-closing, Totten Shutters.

You are looking in one of the small bastion embrasures from the Northeast, across the space for a narrow gun platform, and out through the opposite embrasure toward the Southwest.  Because the Flank Howitzers would be nearly at 45 degrees from the interior bastion walls, when aimed to sweep the West curtain and the North curtain walls, there would be more room at the rear of the four guns for a gunner and two cannoneers for each gun crew.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Lethal Cannons - Lethal Architecture
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 02:44:58 PM »
    All these requests for more and more and more are really killing me guys.  I've had to keep Mike on machining Brooke Tubes while I pull myself off drawing the details of the Brooke platform and traverse tracks, and pull out all the stops to try to satisfy your tremendous appetite for more pics on Flank Howitzers and Caponiers.  I've been collecting these pics for two years on this topic, so here are the rest of them!  I hope you have enough now.  ;) ;)  No more emails please  ;); these really are all that we have!

Tracy

How about entrance doors to Caponiers?  One of the nicest fort entrance doors in the U.S. is the one to Fort Ticonderoga in New York State, also there's a real nice one at Fort Morgan in Alabama, but probably the nicest we discovered is this one to the Caponier at Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn, NY.

Here is a rather plain Caponier entrance way at Fort Amherst in Chatham, England.

The huge interior entrance to the North Caponier at Fort Nelson near Portsmouth, Endland.

A Flank Howitzer embrasure at Old Fort Jackson near Savannah, Georgia.

Here are some Flank Howitzer carriages in storage for years at Fort Knox in Prospect, Maine.

24Pdr Tubes for those carriages stored outdoors under this cover for years and years at Fort Knox.

Carriages and Tubes have been restored and recently re-installed at Fort Knox.  Can't wait to visit again and see them.

Coalhouse Fort Caponier in East Tilbury on the Thames in England.

This is the Coalhouse Fort Magazine.  Is that a 10" seacoast gun shell?

The Musketeer Caponier at Seacastle Fort in Portsmouth, England.

A half-buried Caponier at Lumps Fort in the Portsmouth area.

Details of carriage hardware can be seen on this 24 Pdr Flank Howitzer at Fort Pulaski near Savannah, Georgia.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
Re: Lethal Cannons & Architecture****LAST PHOTOS POSTED****
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:33:48 AM »
What was the load in one of these "Flank Howie's" ?

Gary ;)
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Lethal Cannons & Architecture****LAST PHOTOS POSTED****
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
     Gary,  the Flank Howitzer most frequently shot a very effective load of 21 Lbs of canister balls, 48 in number ahead of 2 Lbs of Black Powder.  There was also a 17 Lb. shell with a 12 oz. bursting charge.  The canister load was particularly nasty because it contained 39 more balls than you would have in a load of grape shot, increasing your hit probability tremendously.  Each of these canister balls was 1.32" to 1.35" Dia., a respectable size, and surely capable of  folding a scaling ladder without much trouble.  We infantrymen would be truly crazy to assault a fort's curtain wall without taking out these gun positions first!

Tracy

This is a drawing I did about a year ago as I was trying to find out how big the canister balls were in each of the 4 layers of 12 balls.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Lethal Cannons in Use OOPS! Almost Forgot the Story of "Old Betsy"
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 09:09:52 AM »
     I would definitely be remiss in my duties if I did not relate what Mike and I learned on our Mansfield, Ohio Artillery Show trip in the spring of 2006.  The most devastating use of a gun in a Caponier in the United States occurred during the defense of the north ditch of Fort Stephenson by American forces against a vigorous attack by 500 British regulars, most of whom were battle hardened veterans and had been with Wellington’s forces in the Peninsular Campaign.  This happened during the Battle of Fort Stephenson, 1 and 2 August 1813, just after a very young, 21 year old, Major George Croghan, assumed command of this Sandusky River outpost. 

We were fortunate to meet the author of The Complete Cannoneer, Matt Switlik at the show and he told us the story of the famous cannon named ‘Betsy’ and how it helped win that desperate battle long ago on a hill in what now is Fremont, Ohio.  He advised us to visit the gun, still there after all these years, on the very hill where it once dispensed death with every blast of double canister into that north ditch.  We did visit the gun and the historic fort site just behind it.  We found this information in a document we located at the Birchard Public Library which occupies most of the ground once within the fort’s walls.  The cannon is outside on the north side pointing at the fort’s north ditch which is now Croghan Street.

Another document we saw at the Library was Titled, An Authentic History of the Second War of Independence, containing a chapter, The Battle of Fort Stephenson by Samuel R. Brown which was an account of the battle by Henry Howe and Moses Dawson, first published in 1815.  It was this account, the most logical of several that we read over the years, that provided the information that we impart here.

In a nutshell, The British selected the small garrison at the fort, 160 men under Croghan as a relatively easy conquest to be followed by bigger and more grand objectives.  700 British troops and their artillery, three six pounders by most accounts, were landed from Commander Barclay’s fleet near the stockade fort.  From 1,000 to 2,000 Indian allies joined the British force there.  They pretty much stayed in the woods and avoided the cleared land surrounding the fort.  After bombarding the northwest angle from 250 yards nearly all day on the 1st, the British main force of 500 attackedthe fort, with approximately 300 attacking the north wall which they thought was weak from the extensive 6 Pdr bombardment.  Constant repair and reinforcement by Croghan’s men kept it strong.

The battle smoke was so thick that when Lt. Col. Short’s force came within 20 paces of the fort, they were momentarily stunned by the fierce, galling fire of the defenders.  The Col. rallied them and leapt into the ditch followed by about 100 of his force, many of whom had axes which they used with vigor.  Out of sight in the Caponier, which was called a blockhouse on the frontier, sat the American’s only cannon, a six-pounder named ‘Betsy’.  At Croghan’s signal the wooden port door was flung open suddenly and Betsy let fly her double load of canister into the British attack force in the ditch.  The ditch was raked from one end to the other by this gun and the British force melted away under this hailstorm of lead balls.  A second wave entered the ditch and met the same fate.

Over 150 of the attackers were killed in that ditch.  By all accounts only 10 to 20 left it alive.  If the typical Blockhouse construction had been used, the cannon would have been elevated by 12 to 15 feet and the canister ball beaten zone would have been much shorter due to the steeper angle of attack.  As it was, with the blockhouse built like a Caponier, the cannon was on the ground, right at the top edge of the 6 foot deep ditch, a perfect situation for devastating results.  The remaining British, seeing the folly of further assaults, retired from the field in relatively good order and the entire force left the area the following day.  The Indians, except for a few, did not participate in the attack.  The Americans had one killed and seven slightly wounded.

Fort Stephenson is truly unique in being the only fort in the United States preserved in its original form with its original cannon and with the body of its defending force's Leader.

Tracy

This first two images are from a post card site called ‘Card Cow’.  The third we saved from a site that we visited back in 2006.   Our original pics of the cannon and historic site were lost when our "Free" photo hosting site hiccuped and lost those first ever, for us, digital pics.  It's been low-cost, FOTOTIME for us for 5 years now with ZERO problems. 

A 1930 photo of Birchard Library and the cannon, 'Old Betsy'.

A map of the battlefield showing the 'Blockhouse Caponier' on the fort's north side and the Sandusky River where Barclay's fleet landed the British force of 700.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
Tracy I believe it would be best all around as it is only you and I on this thread  :o , that we (you)
should scuttle this thread on an even keel ,and possibly sometime in the future we can raise the rusty hulk . ;)
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Spuddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Hey, I really liked the history thanks.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
One attribute of this forum's organization, whether strictly software or in software setup, is the View count on the table of contents page.  Other forums I deal with do not have this and they have lost posters of interesting data (admittedly ones with fragile egos) who weren't constantly told how great they were since they could only see posted replies instead of the view count.  When a person doesn't have original data to add to a post, he most commonly just reads the post and moves on without massaging the original poster's ego.

So don't think no one is interested in or reading these posts just because no one adds a reply.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Lethal Cannons in use. OOPS! Almost Forgot the Story of "Old Betsy".
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 04:46:54 PM »
Boy has George called this one right!  Take a look at the demographic of our board.  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=stats   That's what you show potential advertisers so they can see the traffic on the board..

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 05:06:38 PM »
What Double D, George, and Spuddy said! Interesting history! Thanks for posting it! Boomlover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 04:23:02 AM »
   You're right, Double D., George was spot on with his explanation.  It would be difficult indeed to keep your marbles in the game without any feedback at all.  The counter is an excellent indicator of general interest.  However, our motivation for posting comments or new topics is simply to achieve a balance between the nuts and bolts topics and the old cannon or history-based topics.  There was a period of time when we wondered if anyone would ever again post anything on a "how to do topic".  It seemed like nobody was building anything.  Spuddy and Boomlover, thanks for your interest; we had fun putting this together. 

DD, I just took another look at the GBO stats and it is truly amazing that the Mortar and Cannon board rates so highly.  I think it has something to do with the unusual nature of the topics.  This board seems to draw comments from people who have no familiarity at all with artillery, but who are genuinely interested, just the same.  This place on the internet is special, because it presents the unusual and different as respectable and worthy of comment.

If you didn't get a chance to see the stats when DD put up that link, just take a look here:

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=stats   

We still find it hard to believe that our Mortar and Cannon board places so highly in all three topic-related areas.  We think you can say accurately, that, with the Herculean efforts of the two moderators, it became the "Little Cannon Board that Could"!

T&M

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 06:10:06 PM »
Thanks, Tracy and Mike.
There has been some work - over a long period of time - but it has been by EVERYONE and it's been positive.  As you've observed, there is quite a mix of newly interested folks and greatly experienced and knowledgeable folks as well.  Very little of "I'm right, you're wrong" and lots of exploration of widely diverse topics.

OK, everyone reach around and pat yourselves on the back.   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)