Author Topic: 40 MM Rifled Breach Loader  (Read 15273 times)

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 40 MM Rifled Breach Loader
« Reply #180 on: July 16, 2012, 05:43:59 PM »
I am getting a new camera soon ,so yes I can get some close ups . The carriage and wheels are not painted final color yet and I am working on rubber military army wheels so it can be towed behind my truck . Not quite satisfied with the ignition , so that is being reworked also.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #181 on: July 16, 2012, 07:30:54 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing it when you get finished with the painting, Moose.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #182 on: July 17, 2012, 04:43:28 AM »
Moose I would reconsider pneumatic wheels and towing this unless you are not going very far or very fast.... your axel is narrow it may want to flip if towed..... also pneumatic wheels may bring this into the "modern" catagory as far as ATFE is concerned...... I know someone who restores artillery who was having problems getting approval on cannon with pneumatic wheels right after 9/11, I know it sounds silly but government entities make their own rulings.......just wanted to bring these concerns to your attention....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #183 on: July 17, 2012, 05:51:48 AM »
Thanks , point taken. Barrel can be removed for transite and replaced on site . Might avoid a overzealous reaction from from nonlocal police when traveling out of town.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #184 on: July 17, 2012, 07:24:36 AM »
Thanks , point taken. Barrel can be removed for transite and replaced on site . Might avoid a overzealous reaction from from nonlocal police when traveling out of town.
Might actually take the wood wheels with and just use the pneumatic for transport......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #185 on: July 17, 2012, 06:23:34 PM »
Even if you trailer a piece, you should put jackstands or some other solid support under the trail at the axle so the wheels don't carry the load while in transit.  High speed bounces can put greater forces on the axle and wheel parts than they would ever experience in normal service.  It is a good way to break things.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2012, 06:06:33 AM »
Yes I wouldn't tow a wood carriage , but a welded steel carriage with a solid steel axle and pneumatic tires is just about indestructible.   :)

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »
I finished my tires today . They are mounted on modified 16 inch x 5 1/2 inch x 6 lug rims. The tires are 7x16 military  tires. The color is as close as I could get to the civil war color from the Artilleryman article. You can see from the photos how the color changes in the light , it is a hard color to nail down.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2012, 06:40:24 PM »
I finished my tires today . They are mounted on modified 16 inch x 5 1/2 inch x 6 lug rims. The tires are 7x16 military  tires. The color is as close as I could get to the civil war color from the Artilleryman article. You can see from the photos how the color changes in the light , it is a hard color to nail down.

Ok, Moose, those wheels look good, and practical for towing and everything; but this would be the version of your rig that would be on display outside on the grass at the Artillery Museum in St. Petersburg. Now we need photos of the classic version of your outfit equiped with wooden artillery wheels, that would more likely be seen resting on the marble floor inside the museum. ;D
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2012, 01:37:49 AM »
Without springs and shock absorbers, the cannon will bounce like a rubber ball on rough pavement. I had that problem with my first cannon trailer, which was built on a mobile home axle that had extra heavy springs and tires and no shock absorbers.
Max

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2012, 02:03:28 AM »
Never had that problem with my first tire set up , just used ATV trick of low pressure in tires . With low weight load you can get down to 5-10 psi , will have to try this set to see how it behaves. Wooden wheels aren't finished yet , had to finish rubber tires first so I could roll it around the shop while I paint the wooden set.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #191 on: August 04, 2012, 01:23:34 PM »
Interesting note on the tires , had to deflate them to 5psi for any noticeable deflection when I sat on them . It looks like they could be run with no air pressure just fine. They are bias ply tires.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2012, 07:24:07 AM »
It's a pity you couldn't find a pair of 1920's solid automotive rims and narrow tires ... then it would look like one of the transition guns when they were going from wood wheels to rubber..... actually a set of the wheels off one of the swiss ammo carts would look good......

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2012, 10:01:39 AM »
Now  that you metion it I remember seeing a few light cannon with that type of wheel , maybe german or russian ?

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2012, 04:54:35 AM »
There is a Austrian 45 mm AT gun that uses the same wheel as the Swiss ammo cart.... but in the 20's the US 75 MM field gun fitted with new carraige and pneumatic wheels  - rather narrow with solid rims......

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2012, 06:48:42 AM »
Thanks , found a US M1897 A2 75mm Gun VFW post 3103 Fredericksburg , VA  . The modern small spare tire may be modifiable to work as a close copy.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2012, 12:51:44 PM »
Here is the tire I was thinking of , it would make a good copy of 1/2-3/4 scale wheel with a new center and some holes filled in.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2012, 03:41:08 PM »
These are the rims I was talking about.... tire size looks to be about a motorcycle size.....

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2012, 05:19:39 PM »
The tire and rim wouldn't be a problem , will have to keep a lookout for anything that could be used for dished centers. 

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #199 on: October 15, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »
Moose when you threaded the breech plug how big over the bore diameter did you go? Reason I ask is that I was thinking of using a large B7 heatreated stud and if you used a common thread diameter would make my life a lot easier. I plan on having the cascabell looking like a witworth with the ball handles such as yours.It still would be free to rotateand unscrew the threaded breechplug.
I ropbably missed this. My trunion ring will most likely be threaded to the barrel and have 2-2" trunions screwedand then welded.
Thanks, Frank

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #200 on: October 16, 2012, 11:13:23 AM »
Frank look at reply #97 this topic . Breech is dimensioned in drawing. Happy building.