Author Topic: OPINIONS  (Read 624 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
OPINIONS
« on: May 14, 2011, 02:33:09 AM »
OK NOW---I have this .41 mag, 4 inch, model 57, circa 1989 and it has a port---wheather it is factory or after market is immaterial to this thought.
I have not had an opportunity to shoot it---Ann's (AKA, the Hen) upcoming catarac sugery is taking most of my time at the present.
Is this porting likely to effect/affect accuracy?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: OPINIONS
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 02:55:39 AM »
NOPE! But it will affect muzzle blast (noise) dramatically back at you for sure, and it will speed up recovery from shot to shot. I would suspect it is NOT factory porting, but instead aftermarket in an attempt to dampen the recoil unless this is a further enhanced version of the Model 57 which it normally would be coming out of the Smith custom shop.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:34:01 AM »
I can't wait for you to shoot it.  It could actually tame some of the recoil but most 41mag shooters say it isn't bad to begin with.  It doesn't bark like the 44mag does yet its within the same area of power.  I'm thinking our 41mags will have close to the same recoil as a hotter loaded 357mag. and the larger N frame S&W just maybe a pleasure to shoot, maybe hotter but less recoil due to the heavier revolver. That little porting maybe great.  The massive porting on the s&w 500 scares me. If there letting that much gas out trying to tame it how does it really handle.

Offline luckydawg13

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:42:44 AM »
 i have 4port mag-na-ports on my encore 454 shoots great and not as loud as a break
i would put on  in a heart beat
kids that hunt and fish dont mug old Ladies
and drive a F150

Offline rawhidekid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:41:38 AM »
The positive aspect of porting is milder felt recoil, faster recovery.  The down side is louder report, muzzle flash, and inability to hold on target in rapid fire.  The amount of muzzle flash will very with the type of powder, faster burning powder should result in less flash.  Waiting for sights to realign will stop any problems with accuracy.  A friend got rid of his Glock ported barrel because he liked shooting as fast as he could pull the trigger.  The porting kept driving the shots lower and lower each shot because he wasn't allowing recovery time.  The hotter the rounds the more the porting will be effective.  Smith & Wesson made a two or three inch 44 mag that was double mag-na-ported they called the Magnem Packer.  Had a Bears' head on the right side pannel.  Was a great shooter, easy to control and my favorite shooting 44 hands down. 8)  Hope this helped, rawhide

P.S.  Sorry to hear the wife needs surgery, hope all comes out ok, will include in our prayers.
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:19:56 AM »
Thanks for the thought and prayers.
It was good surgery and she is fine. The next eye in two weeks. I don't know if she is going to have the one in the back of her head done.  ;D ;)
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD