Author Topic: Lee Production pot mishap-replacement?  (Read 1894 times)

Offline darkroomdan

• Trade Count: (1)
Lee Production pot mishap-replacement?
« on: May 15, 2011, 07:57:27 AM »
Well, until today, the only problem with the Lee 20 lb. bottom pour had been the off-and-on dripping thing. Just after I refilled and it got all melted and up to temp - the control pin in the hole jumped past the retaining screw and before I could get anything to stop it or even something to catch the molten lead, it emptied the pot all over the picnic table and down on the concrete patio. Made a huge mess!
So, what is out there that has similar capabilities (bottom pour and holds 20 or more lbs. of lead) that is higher quality and wouldn't be dripping and breaking down?
Thanks,
DRD

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Lee Production pot mishap-replacement?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 03:59:19 PM »
A lot depends on what your willing to spend , RCBS , Lyman as well as some others all have good pots , it boils down to how much Bang For Your Buck you want .

And then theres this option .

http://www.wenesco.com/melt.htm

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline darkroomdan

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 02:57:15 AM »
The Wenesco stuff looks interesting - thanks! And I'll check around at the others too...
DRD

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »
Wow! Those 4  look exactly like Lee pots. Could Lee be making pots for Wensco or does Wensco make pots for Lee?

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:44:37 AM »
I can't believe how expensive they've become. :o

I think I'll keep buying replacement parts for mine.
One's about 30+ years old and the other is about 15-20.

I'm afraid to look at how expensive some of the other brands might be.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:56:07 PM »
 You might be able to run across an unloved Lyman 20# or an RCBS for less than retail. 

Offline brad925

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 07:37:49 PM »
Ya the 20lb one looks just like it right down to the wood knob. MAKES YA WONDER EH!

Offline ratdog

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »
i have lee pot never had a problem cast some 500 45-70 bullets the other day bat the crap out of a pot and dipper.

Offline kbstenberg

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 04:24:08 AM »
  I couldn't aford a lot of the stuff I have if it wasn't for Lee. I don't mind paying the price for the other stuff if theirs is better. I would just have to do with less loading equipment.

Offline ratdog

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »
i have used lee stuff for years most all my molds a dies are lee's when you pay that much for a different brand bullet mold it should come with handles.

Offline ratdog

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 01:33:52 AM »
you can also have leaky mold valve because there is something stuck in valve mold may be dirty i use a lot of wheel weights they are dirty and the metal retainers can cause the a valve problem always use a spoon to clean down around valve when cleaning the crud of to of molten lead and retainers floating on top.you might keep an ingot mold near just case of a leak.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 04:13:06 PM »
I found that the end of the valve rod was a poor fit in the hole in the bottom of the pot on my Lee 10 pounder so I lapped it in with some valve grinding paste.  Now it seals way better...

Tony

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 10:18:09 AM »
you can also have leaky mold valve because there is something stuck in valve mold may be dirty i use a lot of wheel weights they are dirty and the metal retainers can cause the a valve problem always use a spoon to clean down around valve when cleaning the crud of to of molten lead and retainers floating on top.you might keep an ingot mold near just case of a leak.

GOOD points.  I have had virtually no problems with leakage since I've started using plain old borax to flux the pot.  AND  I keep my ingot moulds within reach.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 02:22:26 AM »
ive had lyman and rcbs. the rcbs are sightly better in my opinion but are more expensive. thing is that rcbs will fix them when they quit and use them enough and they will eventually die. Lyman will charge you to fix there pot.
blue lives matter

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 05:16:51 AM »
I've been buying saeco pots at gun shows and yard sales whenever I find them. They are good and solid, and easy to repair if they ever break.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 07:31:10 AM »
I have very few Lee things except a few molds and i'm on my 3rd pot had a 10lb for 25 years bought a like new used 10lb so I moved the old one on, then about a month ago I bought a 20lb one, for the $$$ lee makes the best pot on the market new Lee 20 lb pot $54 new RCBS $320 lets see how many lee's can I go through before I reach $320 and if one laster 25 years and my replace that worked fine for 5 I think i'll be on the other side of the grass before I buy my next Lee pot.

You should not smelt WW in your pot there is just too much junk stuck to them .

I found it you keep a rawhide hammer close and it starts pouring lead tap the top of the stem and it will seat and stop then drain pot and clean around seat and stem.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 07:41:28 AM »
I use a plumbers pot and lead furnas . Been using them for lead joints since 72 and bullets for about 15+ years . I use a wax ring ( the seal that goes undr a water closet , bees wax ) for flux . Never had any trouble . So far its been pure lead for muzzle loaders. Saturday I got 1 mold each for 38 spl. , 44 spl and 45 Colt . Will try pure lead mixed with 95/5 soder . Will my lead pot be a problem ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !