Author Topic: Available food for game.  (Read 1420 times)

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Available food for game.
« on: May 15, 2011, 08:01:39 AM »
Between the fires and drought here in West Texas there is little food for game or cattle.  I usually run 3-4 feeders year round feeding a mixture of corn and Anthlet Max but they have gotten so expensive I had to cut back to one feeder.  With the recent floods along the Mississipp, i corn and soy bean feed will be out of sight, if you can find it. 

It looks like it might be a bad year for deer in this part of the country. :( :(

Offline markc

Re: Available food for game.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 06:50:58 AM »
Hey rockbilly, I agree. I talked to Max Martin (Martin Ranch) who is located 5-6 miles from my place. He said the deer were hitting the protein more than ever right now. We just got 2.5 inches of rain last week, which brings the total for the year out there to 3.7".   I hope it isn't too late (nearly is) to help the wildlife for this coming whitetail season.  I am running 2 feeders right now, and added some protein to the corn, but not too much.  It is expensive.  It seems that the folks out there on our place that have switched to wildlife valuation to maintain an ag exemption on their taxes are going to be spending much more on supplemental feeding than they thought.  Once it costs more to maintain supplemental feeding for an ag exemption than to pay the taxes on a small tract, it becomes a real problem.
markc

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 08:36:30 AM »
Try some fortified sweet feed mixed with corn. Deer and oddly fox love it. I left a small pile of Timothy Hay out that was for my rabbit. The deer in Marble Falls ate it. That is not a good sign.

Offline markc

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:52:47 PM »
Mohawk do you mean the loose sweet feed?  I've tried that mixed w/ corn from the auto feeders and they clog up. I am using sweet feed blocks some now. 
markc

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 05:54:58 PM »
Sweet feed mixed 1/3 worked well with corn in the feeders. We did throw it loose  at one time , though. But the 1/3 rd mix seems to be the best.