Author Topic: 929 side kick question  (Read 884 times)

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
929 side kick question
« on: May 15, 2011, 08:11:34 PM »
I came into a 929 sidekick. According to the serial number it was made in 1956. It seems to be in really good condition minus a little blue wear however it's missing a screw according to numich that is the hammer pin. But the pin is there it basically looks like it missing a screw plug if that makes sense. Its on the left hand side of the gun. Number 19 on numich website I hope that makes sense. I'll try to take pictures later   http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=7927
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline gjdykeman

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 929 side kick question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:16:58 AM »
I have one and took the screw out to see. It is a screw that holds the hammer pin into the frame. The hammer pin could come loose or fall out without the screw.
SFC US Army 32y 8m 13d RET

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:29:41 AM »
sachel.45,
gjdykeman gave you good advice.  Here's what I see with mine - the hammer screw has a round shank upon which the hammer rides - there are threads at the far end which are engaged by a "chicago type" threaded bushing - this holds the hammer screw in place.  If the threaded bushing is not in place, eventually the hammer screw will come out, ruining your day and letting the hammer do whatever it feels like doing at the time, as it is under pressure from the main spring assembly.  Note that H&R changed this arrangement on several occasions on the Model 929.  I have several of them, but not enough to tell you when a change occurred.  I have a 1958 version which should be very similar to yours.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the pic it does look just like your minus the screw of course. It cocks just fine I just need to find that little screw since it doesn't look like numich had the screw.  Any ideas?
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline jim ritchie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »
If ever in doubt, CALL them, don't rely solely on the listed parts on the schematic!
I have run into things not listed, or sold out, and asked anyway, only to find they actually had the part.
The customer service folks, have always helped me out there.
Good luck!
Jim
Deceased 3-31-2012

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 09:13:41 AM »
What Jim R. said - or try Jack First gun parts if unsuccesful with Numrich.
Glad to help!  You're welcome.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012