Author Topic: Primitive furniture  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Primitive furniture
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:37:23 AM »
Here are a few pictures of some primitive furniture I have made.
I just finished the two benches.  They are made out of 5" thick wood and weigh 200lbs. and 250 lbs.
This stuff is fun to make, dosen't take a lot of time, gets rid of wood you can't use for anything else, and make great gifts. ;D
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
Re: Primitive furniture
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 02:18:12 PM »
The benches are unfinished. They are evenly worked over with a 6" disc grinder with 30 grit paper.
If you have never tried a disc grinder as a wood remover, I highly recommend that you try it.
You will never go back to a belt sander again. :o 
It works great!  ;D
If you want finer sanding, I would go from there to 60 or 80 grit, then move to 100 grit in a palm sander.
A 6" disc sander with 30 grit paper eats wood as fast as a hand held power planer.  Pulling back on it works best. Pushing on it can cause serious mistakes.  :P
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline hillbill

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 02:40:05 PM »
very creative, i like!

Offline kodiak1

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
Zulu
That first bench looks lik it might nip one on the behind with that crack in the slab of wood.
Nice benches at 200 plus pounds the wife wouldn't be moving them around the house.  ;D

Ken.
:D Love to Live Live to Shoot :lol:

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:54:27 PM »
Started another bench today.  This will use up all my large slabs.
Drilling Man, where are you when I need you? ;D
Zulu

Raw material 8' long X 15" wide X 5" thick

Bad Boy angle grinder.  About 15 lbs. :o
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Hit or Miss

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 04:11:25 PM »
Nice work!  I would be proud to have something like that around the place!
Which lie got to you so that you refuse Him???

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 08:35:22 AM »
Another finished bench.  Same as one of the others.
No room in the house for it.  :P
I like these things.  You can't mess them up. ;)
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »
Great looking work!
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Alan R McDaniel Jr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 01:40:14 AM »
I use a twisted wire wheel also along with an extremely dangerous little device called a lancelot tool.  The lancelot tool is a chainsaw blade wrapped around a disc that fits on a 4" grinder.  Use only trigger operated grinder and don't lock it on.  Keep hold of it tight and pointed away from you at all times.  I'm really surprised that they still sell the damn things, but they will remove wood in a hurry.

I like the wire wheel because it will show the grain on primitive wood projects.

Alan

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 02:33:27 AM »
I've seen a lot of nice carving done with the Lancelot tool.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline cange

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 12:50:06 PM »
Are those pegs tight up against the side supports? They would almost have to be to prevent wobble, no? I haven't seen it done that way before, it's pretty cool looking. I assume there is no glue used either, correct? I really like the look. I enloy building the rustic stuff. I build mine with mortise and tennons. Great idea on the grinder....gonna try that for sure too. Keep up thegood work.

cange
NRA member-World traveler-All around good guy-Soldier of fortune-Singer of songs and ballads-Casual hero-Defender of orphans-Parachutist extraordinaire-Part time scholar-Sportsman specializing in tasting of sundry alcholic beverages-The difficult done immediately-The impossible takes a little longer-Miracles done by appointment-Wars fought-Bars emptied-Tigers tamed-Orgies organized-Chastity belts unlocked-Virgins converted-Revolutions started-Governments run...............Cabinet making done on the side.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Offline cange

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »
I was also wondering what type of adhesive you used on the stools considering there are no cross members on the legs. I would be a little concerned about them coming loose. No fasteners underneath I'm assuming. I'll hang up and listen for my answer.

cange
NRA member-World traveler-All around good guy-Soldier of fortune-Singer of songs and ballads-Casual hero-Defender of orphans-Parachutist extraordinaire-Part time scholar-Sportsman specializing in tasting of sundry alcholic beverages-The difficult done immediately-The impossible takes a little longer-Miracles done by appointment-Wars fought-Bars emptied-Tigers tamed-Orgies organized-Chastity belts unlocked-Virgins converted-Revolutions started-Governments run...............Cabinet making done on the side.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »
I was also wondering what type of adhesive you used on the stools considering there are no cross members on the legs. I would be a little concerned about them coming loose. No fasteners underneath I'm assuming. I'll hang up and listen for my answer.

cange

cange,
The pegs in the benches are tight against the sides.  There is no wobble at all and no glue or fasteners of any kind.
The legs of the stools are split with a band saw about 2" before setting them all the way through the seat with wood glue.  Then an oak wedge is hammered with glue into the split.  The legs do not move at all.
After the glue is dried I take the big disc sander and sand everything flush with the seat top.  It works great!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline cange

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 12:59:30 PM »
Zulu, That was my next question....is there any kind of wedge in the stool legs? Great idea. I was really hoping that you were gonna say no fasteners on them and no glue onthe benches......are the stool legs oak? If the wedges are a contrasting species, it could be quite decorative. Purple heart would be kinda cool, or maybe wenge. Nice work man!

thanks.....cange
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 04:36:39 PM »
Zulu, That was my next question....is there any kind of wedge in the stool legs? Great idea. I was really hoping that you were gonna say no fasteners on them and no glue onthe benches......are the stool legs oak? If the wedges are a contrasting species, it could be quite decorative. Purple heart would be kinda cool, or maybe wenge. Nice work man!

thanks.....cange

cange,
The stool legs are oak.  Any type of wedge would work.  The contrast would look great!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com