Author Topic: Ballistic Tip or no  (Read 719 times)

Offline jathames

• Trade Count: (0)
Ballistic Tip or no
« on: December 30, 2003, 05:12:52 AM »
Would you guys give me your 2 cents on weather to shoot ballistic tip bullets or not. It will be used in a 7mm-08 to deer hunt. I am looking at the Winchester line or Federal line and also at the Hornady Light Magnums in the SST Thanks

Offline jlk

Ballistic Tips
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 01:31:19 AM »
I have been shooting ballistic tips in various rifles for years on deer. They have all preformed like I wanted them to. I have used them in 22-250, .257 Wtby Mag, 25/06, .270, 7mm Rem. Mag. 7tcu, .308, 300 Whisper, 300 Win. Mag.
One Well Placed Shot Is All It Takes

Offline Will_C

• Avid Poster
Ballistic Tip or no
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 02:34:47 AM »
I have used 140 Ballistic Tips in my 7mm-08 for years, have shot 7or8 deer with it, never had a problem. Many swear at the BT's, I swear by them, at least in the 7.
Deer were shot between 40-125 yards, with a great combination of expansion and penetration. Have not recovered one yet.
Will

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Ballistic Tip or no
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 06:28:28 AM »
:D I've used them in my 30.06 and 7x30 waters and they have performed well on game. They also shoot very accurately out of my firearms. Ive shot at least 12 deer and antelope with them and 2 more this year with the contender (7x30).

Offline Tc300mag1

• Avid Poster
Ballistic Tip or no
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 06:47:33 AM »
Ive only used them in 300mag. I must say the performance was quite impressive . First deer that we had shot with my handloads and with the Bt's i will keep using them.

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
Ballistic Tip or no
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 02:32:17 PM »
I don't like the BTs.  I've shot them in my 7mm mag, 30-06, 270 win and 264 winmag.  

I've found that they tend to 'blow up' with very little penetration.  I've lost too many deer with these to ever recommend them to anyone.

You might want to consider the new Hornady SSTs.  Similar BC and looks to the Nosler BTs, but bonded and with an interlock ring so more rugged and supposed to hold together better.  I've shot them in my 7mm mag and they shoot very well, but haven't shot any game with them.  

I'm still sticking with the good 'ole Nosler Partition for critters.

Offline animal

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Ballistic Tip or no
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 04:19:02 PM »
Jatthames, I just purchased a 7mm08 for my young son. He shot 2 deer with it and I shot 1 deer with it. The first deer was shot at 125 yards with a hand loaded Hornady 139 gr interlock SP, the deer was flatened (hit behind the shoulder. The next 2 deer were hit behind the shoulder at about 40 yds and 65 yds with Winchester ballistic silvertips. Both deer ran almost 100 yds with great blood trails. I found bullet jacket fragments inside of both deer while dressing them out. We will shoot up the remaining bullets and go back to the Hornadys.
                                 Sincerely, Animal
Animal

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
Ballistic Tip or no
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 04:10:24 AM »
The new BONDED ballistic tips appear to offer the best of all worlds and in a bonded core bullet that won't fragment or take off its jacket. Nosler accu-bonds and Hornady inner-locks seem to be answers to the perfect balance of good BC - boattail base - high weight retention - integrity when used at close range and higher velocity - no deformed tips in magazines after recoil (paritions always drove me crazy on this point) - good accuracy - and great penetration on game. They will get very popular as hunters start to use them in the field I figure. Just got 200 Hornadys in 139 grain inner bond and will see what kind of accuracy and load I can work up for my 7mm-08. Good Shooting

woods
PUT GOD FIRST
Shoot Straight - Shoot Often - Shoot Smokeless - Shoot Savage!