Author Topic: Billiard Ball Mortar??  (Read 2219 times)

Offline gunsonwheels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Billiard Ball Mortar??
« on: May 19, 2011, 01:31:57 PM »
Has anyone done a mortar to shoot billiard balls?

Their specs.

Billiard Balls
Molded and finished in a perfect sphere in the following weight and diameter:
-Pocket Billiard Balls
-Weight: 5 1/2 to 6 oz. *Diameter: 2 1/4"
*Diameter tolerance of (plus or minus) .005"

Looks like the ammo tolerance is sufficiently tight and they are available on the internet for about a buck and a half a round...??  I figure they should hold up about as well as bowling balls... about five cycles out the tube... anyone have some experience here? ? ?

I looked at past threads but didn't see anything... (doesn't mean it isn't there and I just missed it)  :-[

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Billiard Ball Mortar??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:43:26 PM »
I made and sold one a year or so back . Haven't heard any results yet . Ed

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »
About what size did you make the powder chamber? (dia. X depth)?

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »
Used my standard GB chamber . 1" x 1.5" Looking back I could have gone bigger .

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 03:34:20 PM »
I have South Bend "cohorn mortar" it was made to shoot V8 juice cans . Then I discovered pool balls fit very well .
They work great 2.25" is the bore the chamber is about 5/8" x an inch or so . With 40 gr 3F they will go @ 80 grs. with 80 grs ...... BANG she's outta sight . You can recover the balls and use them over and over .

I have a freind who owns a pool hall ,he gives me the old chipped balls .  ;D

The 8 may not work also the cue ball may not fit as these balls had to avoid the ball recovery in quarter tables .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Winger Ed.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 07:29:40 PM »
Has anyone done a mortar to shoot billiard balls?
Before I built my bowling ball mortar, I dug around and researched it for weeks.
I ran across a few replicas made to shoot billard balls.

The whole concept of them, I think its a great idea***, I look forward to you building one.
and this size mortar should possibly have it's own events & competition.
Rather than having a (single) accuracy type target area down range, like 'regular' mortars....
How about a common pool table shaped target, drawn out with chalk,
and about the size of maybe a Baseball, or even a football field?

Call & aim your shot at a 'pocket', like ya would a '8 ball' billiards game.
One person would have 'solids' and the other 'stripes', and keep score accordingly.
It'd be difficult to do bank shots, put a little 'english' on a shot, etc., but it might be do-able.

I do what I can to get others- especially younger folks into shooting, and the outdoor sports
whenever, however, and much as I can.
For these more and more 'city-fied' people, its much harder to go shooting, hunting, fishing--
all the things that were just natural for most of us in years gone by.
Anyone that has even the most remote, or casual interest in these historical weapons---
I try to encourage and otherwise help them all I possibly can.
"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
I doubt we shall ever see their likes again".
Unknown US Coast Guard Commander on the upper US East Coast.  Circa 1920

In our modern & enlightened times:
The only thing the Meek will inherit- is a Berqa.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 02:47:29 AM »
Hi, I shoot pool balls in my Hern 2.25" coehorn all the time without problems, have reused some more than a dozen times.  You should be aware that all balls will not measure to specs. When I buy a bunch used ( usually less than $0.50 ea)  I sort them by whether or not they fit my Parrott rifle or not. Any too big for the Dom 2.25" parrott will fit the Hern which has an oversized bore. No wastage here. I've gone to pouring zinc balls for both but the pool balls make a nice light weight short distance round.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »
Reading Winger Ed's reply reminded me of a slinging meet we held here in '07.  Went out to our local golf course and played a round of "sling golf".  I wonder if the golf course's board would let us try GB mortar golf...  it is Wyoming and most folks are "looser" about things like that than most places.  :)   :D  ;D

And yeh... GOW is a member of slinging.org's  forum also

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »
     About a year and a half ago Mike Gary and I had a chance to shoot his 2.25" Dia. SBR Coehorn Mortar and his 1.75" Bore Dom-built, Parrott.  What we noticed was that most of the Fox balls we picked up were found between 500 and 800 yards from the gun.  The billiard balls really flew far as well.  With a full chamber, (.590" dia. X 1.25" long), holding 100 grs. of FFFg BP, we found that they could be relied on to go from 375 to 425 yards.  There's no sense in trying to push them further than that, because you can't see them land at any distance over 250 yards anyway.

The rest of the time that day we went on a fired projectile roundup and found a few we shot years ago.  We were calling Gary 'Hawkeye' after that 3 hour adventure.  He found three of the four that we located.

Tracy and Mike

Gary found this 12L14 steel, 100 Pdr. Parrott Bolt out at 2,200 yards from the gunline.  Well oxidized, it must have been there since 2006 when we shot about 160 of these 7 oz. steel whistlers downrange.

This Fox ball was shot during the first shooting session during the fall of 2008 and was found in the spring of 2009, so the rust is understandable.  Mike found this one right at 800 yards from the firing line.

This is the billiard ball that Gary found at 400 yards.  We found it quite amazing that they would go this far with only 100 grs. of FFFg BP!  When I was checking the bore of his SBR Coehorn, I noticed that the two balls I had on hand were a close fit with the bore which measures 2.254" Dia.  The balls were only .010" and .012" less in Dia. at 2.244" Dia. and 2.242" Dia.  Not much windage there!  Regular cleaning is necessary to keep this combination firing.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 02:37:58 PM »
I built a few 2.25" mortars several years ago.  I like to try a flat base mortar this size sometime in the future.  I have the material for it.