Author Topic: Thumbhole stock question  (Read 612 times)

Offline ThomD

• Trade Count: (0)
Thumbhole stock question
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:58:23 PM »
Comb height on the thumbhole stocks seems pretty low.  I looked at one varmint in the store, and it seemed as though with a proper cheek weld I was looking straight into the base of the hammer.  Is this what shooters are finding, and if so, other than restocking, what are people doing to get a decent cheek weld on these stocks.  One of our local stores seemed to buy a lot of rifles with these stocks, and while they look nice I  was wondering how they shot.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
Re: Thumbhole stock question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 04:51:07 AM »
I've got one of the Boyds thumbhole stocks on my rifle and I don't have a problem with cheekweld and it shoots fine and I love the stock.

That said, there are those who have posted in the past that it was too low for them.

I also use the lowest scope rings that I can get away with, that will clear my hammer, and there is also information in the FAQ's on bobbing the hammer if you need to go that route.

I think it's an individual thing, and you just need to try one and see if it will work for you as everyone doesn't have the same distance from cheek to eye level because of varying facial features, and one size doesn't fit all.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 04:51:44 PM »
"I looked at one varmint in the store" Are you talking about a wood laminated thumbhole or one of the Ultra varmint or Survivor type thumbholes?? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline ThomD

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 07:49:13 PM »
Sorry, yes I was wondering about the wooden laminated ultra varmint stock.  Replacements aren't really an option.  I would prefer the Monty Carlo, it's just that a local shop has the Varmint, and they have great prices and a sale.  I don't think I will buy one but I was looking at it, and it didn't seem workable, so I was sorta wondering about it.  I also like the stainless 45-70, but I don't have confidence in the stock.  I have read of people who didn't like the recoil performance of the stock, but I was wondering in addition about the  fit with a scope.  There seem to be more stocks that don't fit on rifles out there, than ones that do.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 09:24:52 PM »
I put one on my .35 Whelen Handi.  Have not noticed any problem when I shoot it, with it being too low.  The one thing about a Thumbhole is that it will stop you from canting the gun.  One reason so many people miss at farther ranges is they cant the gun.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 04:14:56 AM »
I agree with you, its the same story with the handi Grip stock.  I still LOVE the look and feel, but I have relegated the couple I have to target or varmint calibers. I also find hammer manipulation to be poor. The Handi Grip is better in this respect.

I like the Lam Monti for scope alignment and the camo lam for looks. But its a bit heavy. Ilike the camo lam for weight, looks and scope alignment.

People are built different, so different heights of comb will work for different people. To me the comb on the thumb holes is also too low.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 05:32:03 AM »
Sorry, yes I was wondering about the wooden laminated ultra varmint stock.  Replacements aren't really an option.  I would prefer the Monty Carlo, it's just that a local shop has the Varmint, and they have great prices and a sale.  I don't think I will buy one but I was looking at it, and it didn't seem workable, so I was sorta wondering about it.  I also like the stainless 45-70, but I don't have confidence in the stock.  I have read of people who didn't like the recoil performance of the stock, but I was wondering in addition about the  fit with a scope.  There seem to be more stocks that don't fit on rifles out there, than ones that do.

The Thumbhole stock actually helps dampen recoil as the weight of your arm can hang almost directly down at your side and will absorb most of the recoil.   I mounted the thumbhole stock on my 20 gauge Tracker ll and I also drilled out a hole behind the recoil pad and filled it with lead shot from my muzzleloader and now I could shoot 3" slugs all day long and it's fairly mild on the recoil.

For a 45-70 or slug gun the stock is a good match and one reason why H&R puts them on some of their 45-70's and slug guns.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 08:31:58 AM »
I recently got one of the 45-70 SS and I didn't have a problem with cheek weld as far as scope alignment was concerned. The thumb hole stock just didn't seem like it would be conducive for still hunting. I swapped it out for the cin. lam. set I had on my SS 223, and yes it's a better recoil pad on the cin. lams.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 05:27:40 AM »
My take on this is that if you find a good price on a Handi in a caliber you want, buy it.
The 'Classifieds' here are your friend and the change of stocks is soooo easy.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974