Author Topic: 1st 1911, ???RIA, Regent, or Hi Standard???  (Read 4322 times)

Offline czvz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
1st 1911, ???RIA, Regent, or Hi Standard???
« on: May 20, 2011, 07:49:52 AM »
I want to get a 1911 pattern .45 acp.  Have seen alot of good things said about the RIA's.  But I can't find a local distributor.  However I can get a Regent @ Gander Mountain and a Hi Standard GI at Cabelas.   What are your thoughts on these 3 manufacturers?  I don't have alot of handgun experience so of the 3, which would be the "Best BANG for the buck"?  I was leaning towards the RIA Tactical version.  But if in the opinon of my esteemed coleauges I would be better off with a Hi Standard or Regent please compare/contrast.
Lastly does anyone know of a local distributor in Minnesota for RIA?
Thanx
CZVZ

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: 1st 1911, ???RIA, Regent, or Hi Standard???
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 08:47:45 AM »
I guess I wouldn't get any of them.  I like made in the USA arms.  Others can give you advice on how well each works.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Steve E

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
Also check the 1911's from ATI.

Steve E........
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 01:48:24 PM »
czvz:  please scroll down this page and the next page as well and you will find about half a dozen threads comparing the different 1911 offerings out there.  The RIA is spoken to often, and not in a derogatory fashion; it is manufactured in the Phillipines I believe (but not sure).  I have not heard of the Regent but hopefully some of our other posters have.  The High Standard is, as I understand it, a high standard pistol but none the less, scroll on down and see what others have said before, and all probably withinn the last 6 months.  HTH.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
Of the ones named there is really only one choice--RIA.
Now, there are better choices that the RIA.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline czvz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 04:31:10 PM »
Of the ones named there is really only one choice--RIA.
Now, there are better choices that the RIA.

And they would be???? 
And the approximate price range is????

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:14:26 PM »
And they would be???? 
Dan Wesson, Kimber, Springfield, Para, STI--------------to name a few.
And the approximate price range is????
$600>
Wish you lived in my state--------I'd make you a hell of a deal on a RIA Tactical--------didn't buy it-----took it in trade.

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Plenty Coups

• Plenty Coups Archery
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 05:39:53 PM »
I bought a RIA and am extremely pleased. Officers model makes it very comfortable to carry. It is accurate and has fed everything from self defense to ball to handloads with Berry bullets without a hitch. Have a friend who shot pistol competion years back and told me he thought it to be an excellent firearm especially for the money.
"Diplomacy is the art of saying nice doggy while finding a rock"- Will Rogers

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 04:01:49 AM »
And, he is correct.
There are others.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 09:06:39 AM »
I almost drove myself nutty trying to decide on a 1911. I read reviews, researched gun sites, and bugged forums with the same questions, "which is better, most reliable, etc?". Finally I gave up and walked into a local gun store and bought a Plain Jane RIA 1911M1. Funnest gun I own (so far). I've shot it, reloaded for it, taken it apart down to single components, modified it (trigger and sights), and really enjoy it both at the range and on the workbench...

Offline Qualitymilk

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 02:49:07 AM »
I agree with mdi on the fact that u can drive yourself nuts making a choice.  I just bought my first 1911, and I went with a Kimber Custom II plain walnut stocks.  They are pricey in the gunshops, but I got one on gunbroker with a second magazine for $769, and they shipped it free to my FFL.  I love the fact that they are made here in the USA, and the Kimber has (IMHO) the smoothest trigger and it fits my hand like an old worn in glove.  I haven't shot it that much yet, and I am just starting to reload for it as well.  I look forward to years of enjoyment out of this fine piece in my collection.  You have to just ID your budget, read some reviews, and most importantly go shoot a few in the shops where you can try before u buy.  Good luck and enjoy the process - it is fun!

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
I own an RIA Officers model,  and a Citidel Officers model and I have looked at full size RIA, Citidel, and High Standard 1911s and I have this to say about them.  They are all  made in the same factory in the Philippines and except for the size of the safety levers on the High Standard and the fact that they are oversized and ambidextrous they are the same gun with different markings on them.  They are also in my opinion a very good buy.  Both of the OM I own shoot as good ad My Kimber Elite II and the trigger right from the factory are very good.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 02:24:54 PM »
The beauty of this disease is that you are not limited to numbers---a fix can be had at any whim.
I have had a lot of whims---loved every minute of them.
You are only limited to those not already owned by another.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »
I like the citadel and the rock iland armory because of them being offered in the nickel finish.  The citadel has a forged slide and cast frame i believe while the RIA is a casted frame and slide.  I think the only low budget or should i say mid field priced 1911 with a forged frame and slide is the springfield armory 1911a1.  You should beable to get a decent 1911 between $500 to $1,200.  Even the low cost 1911's can be reliable.  The RIA in nickel is on my wish list.   Don't forget the new ruger sr1911 too it comes with some goodies alreadly on it and its in stainless for around $650.             CZY

BTW;  Some 1911's are like the ford ranger which is a joint venture with mazda. The cab says ford but underneath its a mazda.  Either way they drive good, just like the 1911's since some of the casted frames are the same the prices will differ but we need to look beyond the name and get the one thats priced right since there all almost the same when there usng the same casted frame from the phillapines

Just give meany brand new 1911 that functions the way a 1911 should right out of the box and it gets my vote.  So far its my new auto-ordnance army ww2 copy and my new springfield armory G.I. Mil-Spec both have been flawless right out of the box.  To me with my bad luck with anything thats new maybe it has broken my curse i hope.

Offline ironglowjr

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 12:56:40 AM »
It all comes down the Rock Island 1911....AMAZING pistol for the price I personally own one and it is an amazing gun. The only thing you have to think of when buying lower priced guns is the amount of work you must do to them after you buy. For example the RIA i got was a GI model, i had to polish the feed ramp/barrel, do a trigger job, and a good cleaning on it, but it worked great before. I have been a Armorer/Gunsmith in the U.S. Marines for almost 8 years dealing with ALOT of pistols and rifles including the 1911.....and i personally would go for the RIA 1911....especially for around 400 bucks.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 05:28:22 AM »
I tend to buy shooters and have them worked up.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 02:59:35 AM »
for not much  more id look at the sti spartan or the tarrus. Both cost more but have features your probably going to upgrade to anyway. At least in the stis case your going to have better luck with customer service then any of the others if something goes wrong.
blue lives matter

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 03:48:51 AM »
Folks---you don't have to buy a new one.
Get a used one and save a few $'s.
Nobody I know has actually shot out a barrel--and they are pretty cheap to replace.
I got an old Norinco on a bet--well--it was a dare.
It shot good without anything I did to it---after Vandenberg got thru with it it would bea tack driver in most folks hands around here---not in mine--still a good'un though.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline tonygrz

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 04:12:22 PM »
My first 1911 was a used Norinco.  I was told that they were the best to build on.  Never built on and used it as is.  Works great.  Also bought a RIA 1911 new for about $75 less than the used Norinco and they both work great. 

Tony

Life is great, don't screw it up with WORK !!!

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 06:28:32 PM »
I'm thinking the Ruger has a different slide than a "normal" 1911.   Can anyone comment on this?  Maybe it only "looks" like a 1911.  Or maybe I'm thinking of the S&W.  It has  different machining on the underside.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline tango6

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 11:51:43 AM »
Take a look at the Taurus. I have one and it is a shooter. I have over 2K rounds thru it without a hiccup. Extremely accurate, too.
Life Member: NRA, GOA, & MOAA.

Offline Savage

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 04:29:56 PM »
I'm thinking the Ruger has a different slide than a "normal" 1911.   Can anyone comment on this?  Maybe it only "looks" like a 1911.  Or maybe I'm thinking of the S&W.  It has  different machining on the underside.
Nope, the Ruger is a true 1911 pattern gun.

Take a look at the Taurus. I have one and it is a shooter. I have over 2K rounds thru it without a hiccup. Extremely accurate, too.

Yeah the Taurus 1911 is a great gun for the money. I'm sure the Ruger will be at least as good, probably better. I bought a Taurus 1911 back when they first came on the market for $480 out the door. I took a RIA "Tactical" in on a trade. Based on my experiences and observations the Taurus is a much better deal than the RIA. If I were in the market today for an inexpensive 1911, I think I'd try the Ruger.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »
For a new entry level 1911 i would look and handle all of these, i'm talking the mid priced ones above $600+ not the lowest priced ones;

Springfield Armory GI model  or Mil-Spec model  forged frame/slide

Rock Iland Armory GI model  investment casted frame

Auto Ordnance  army model (GI) investment casted frame 4140 steel which isn't too shabby its good steel.

High Standard 1911,  didn't this company manufacture the 1911's during WW2?   Casted or forged not sure???

Citadel 1911 has a forged slide with an investment casted frame.

Taurus 1911 i'm not sure about.

Colt has the forged frame and slide.

Ruger SR1911 It's an exact 1911 clone too and on you tube hickok45 hammers a new one in the video.  The new ruger sr1911 out of the gate comes with most of the goodies we want in a 1911 anyway. I hate the way the mags stick out the bottom on any 1911 frame.  Casted or forged not sure???

I just listed a few entry level 1911's.

Used chinese norinco made from 5100 forged steel its very tough to work with.  The chinese surely do make the clones right and even better than what there copying. These are one of the best 1911 shooters or the best platform for doing a build.  I really don't think there is a better foundation to start your build with out there than an affordable used norc 1911. I found my used norc for $299.  I missed another one for $350 a while back.

For a used 1911 checkout the front frame rail to slide looseness you will see a difference between the front and rear slide and frame rail fit/looseness. The tighter ones in the front section haven't been shot that much.  Check the feed ramp to see if its been reworked or polished.  Checkout the barrel to see if its been throated.  When they throat they make the chamfer all the way around the lead into the chamber on the barrel.  The throat being completely around the chamber opening except for the very top part eliminates the stoppage or jam that can happen.  I have some that aren't throated that run great.  I mainly look for the ramp or throat being screwed up.  There should be a space between the ramp on the frame and the leading edge of the throat on the barrel.  Maybe 1/64" or larger space between the too.  It shouldn't have no gap at all.  Then check the lock back with the mag empty.  The slide should lock towards the rear, when the mag is empty.  Then check the barrel bushing fit from the barrel to the barrel bushing.  Excessive play is no good.  Now check the barrel bushing to the slide fit.  I have seen some loose fit in this area when it should be snug or a little tight if it had any bushing work done on it. Then check the slide for loose front and rear sights. They may need to be restaked. Test the safety lever,  the hand grip safety and the trigger let off.  Try pulling the safety as you move the safety lever too.  Then check the mag lockup. If they let you take a fired case and install it in the slide to see if theextractor holds it in place when you turn the 1911 upside down or it falls out, no tention on the extractor that means it needs to be retuned or replaced.  Overall checking a used 1911 will give you an idea if it needs any work to repair it.  Then you can haggle the asking price too.  I mainly worry about the slide to frame fit (looseness or is it tight) it should have a little looseness on your average 1911.  Too loose is no good for accuracy somewhat.  But if you get a decent used 1911 with a good frame to slide fit everything else can be tweeked in no problem as long as the ramp isn't over worked.  Just look the used 1911 over really good.

Its very hard to find a good used 1911 because they sell out quickly.  A used chinese norinco 1911a1 is a very good choice too.  My norinco is one of my best running 1911's.  I tweeked it a tad too and now its also accurate. The only difference between my norinco and my other new 1911's is the slide to frame fit is tighter otherwise they pretty much shoot the same way.  My norc cycles a tad faster.

Offline tango6

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 03:13:23 AM »
A buddy of mine just bought a Metro arms 1911 and was surprised at how accurate and dependable it was. Anyone else have one of these?

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 06:04:04 AM »
A buddy of mine just bought a Metro arms 1911 and was surprised at how accurate and dependable it was. Anyone else have one of these?

Metro arms i believe is manufactured by CAI  (century arms international) its cost is around $400?

Offline tango6

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 06:15:41 AM »
I really don't know who makes it. Might be century. I think he said he paid $475 for his commander model.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 05:31:18 AM »
From my experiences, the less expensive you go the more chances you take.
Now, if you do what I do, you are going to redo the guts and fit the pieces, so, all you are really doing is buying a frame & slide.
I prefer forged---but there are some pretty good cast out there.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline boatboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (92)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2011, 01:52:31 PM »
I dont know much about the other 2 you started with but
I was going to buy a RIA
some dealers I deal with regularly and respect their opionions had told me the RIA shoot well
When I handled one it really felt like a brick
It just didnt work for me but I am sure they are very functional

Hank
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King

Say what you want, pick on him. but Ringo is still a Beatle

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2011, 05:36:08 PM »
The only thing I would change on my two RIAs is the "made in Phillipines" part.  I would change it to USA.   They are physically identical to the Colt 1911 that I had & later sold.  No, I don't miss the Colt.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 03:36:30 AM »
I have the RIA and love it, if you want made in the USA, buy a Ruger 1911.   8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman