Author Topic: fireforming?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
fireforming?
« on: May 24, 2011, 01:03:57 PM »
what's some good recipes for fireforming bottle neck cases?
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: fireforming?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 03:10:10 PM »
I've been a wildcatter for decades, but I'd have to know what the case is and what you are forming it to to give a recipe that will do the job but is still safe.   Doing so otherwise on an open forum is foolhardy IMO.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »
30-06 to 30-06ai
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 05:07:54 PM »
I just load a moderate load of IMR 3031 with a 160 gr cast Lee bullet, and load as normal. New brass is best to use, as older brass may give you troubles..
At least that is what works for me.
ANY load that you use needs to come straight from a load manual. The Lyman is a good one for that, if you'll be shooting cast bullets.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:57:33 PM »
30-06 to 30-06AI is about as easy as a wildcat gets.   

Most wildcats that are simply improving the parent case to a blown out shoulder can be simply loaded with a reduced "book" load for the parent case, and then go hunting or target shooting as Tom suggested.   IOW, usually they are nearly as accurate as the improved version will be, so you might as well enjoy shooting them.   Fireforming these easy WC's with fillers and no bullet seated is mostly just a waste of supplies IMO.

HTH

L.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Catfish

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 05:36:03 AM »
For fire forming Ackley improved cases do not use loads that are loaded to lite as the shoulders will not form. I like to find a max. or near max. load for the parent round and fire form while hunting, or target shooting. With my 411 Hawk you have to load heavy charges to get the shoulder to form enough to head space on.

Offline parkergunshop

• Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 05:51:54 AM »
My approach for the 30-06 Ackley Improved, the .257 Roberts Ackley Improved, the 338/06 and .35 Whelen is:

Use midrange loads couple grains below maximum in the loading books, adjust the bullet seater so that the bullet is just contacting the lands in the barrel when the round is chambered, this keeps the base of the case back against the bolt face and causes the front of the case to do all the stretching in the shoulder area, you don't want brass stretching near the base of the case.

I have never lost a case with this method in these calibers.

U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 05:22:09 PM »
I learned that the hard way.. Those bright rings will have you scratching your head until it dawns on you.... ;)
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 08:21:22 PM »
Depending on the round I use 5 to 10 grains of red dot, a cotton ball and pack the rest of the case with rolled oats.  Got outside and shoot them straight up.  Yes it's messy but it works and doesn't stretch out the case. 

I've used this method for forming cases for .22 K-Hornet and 7.7mm Arisaka rounds from shortened '06 cases. 

Tony

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 05:57:47 AM »
30-06 to 30-06ai

If the 30-06AI is chamber right you should be able to fire a 30-06 case with no problems.  I'm not going to waste my new Ackely barrel fireform with bullets so I use the COW method.  About 16gr Bullseye fill case to bottom of neck with Cream-o-Wheat you can take alittle cotton or tissue paper fill the neck tap in down over the COW point the barrel slight upward and fire.  I've fireform using that for the 35WhelenAI,30-06AI and others.

I run  a wet/dry patch 10/15 rds fired.  On some of my varmit barrels I'll fireform shooting PD and that way I've got two loads worked up.

Offline cpileri

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 08:02:30 AM »
I can only offer my limited experience.  But i can agree that i never got anywhere blowing out the bottleneck of a 9.3x74R case until i put some 'oomph' into the load: a projectile with some weight to it and a decent powder charge.  Nothing super magnum, but not cornmeal and 10gr of Unique either.
Here is my experience with it:
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,223383.0.html  check on page 2 of the thread, posts #34 and 35 by me for the meat of the info.  The beginning is my information gathering phase.
Bottom line: what worked finally to get 95% where i wanted was the 148gr projectile and then 200ish grains of shot over my powder charge: in other words, about 2/3 of the final projectile weight, with a powder charge light enough to make ~50% of the foot-pounds of the final load. 
So, my conjecture, with a 30-06 Springfield to 30-06AI, using factory 30-06 ammo which is plenty powerful relative to most recommended fireforming loads (which are all very light in annealed brass) it should form your case in one shot, maybe 2. 
C-
and that without them
we should have no knowledge of it at all."
~ Martin Luther

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 09:30:21 AM »
Isn't the 3006 AI and 3006 factory the same head space ? If so just fire the factory load in the 3006 AI . I thought the AI chambers were able to use parent factory load incase you need to use them in a pinch.

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 09:31:58 AM »
When I shot a 7 TCU I would fire 223 rem. in my 7 TCU and it worked great. And no it was not accurate with the 223.  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 04:57:42 PM »
Isn't the 3006 AI and 3006 factory the same head space ? If so just fire the factory load in the 3006 AI . I thought the AI chambers were able to use parent factory load incase you need to use them in a pinch.

Might want to read this

http://www.mansonreamers.com/Instructions/Ackley%20Gaging.pdf