Author Topic: Red dot on sunny days  (Read 484 times)

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Red dot on sunny days
« on: May 25, 2011, 06:36:27 AM »
On a whim I changed the regular scope I had on my .44 1894 to a cheap red dot I had laying around. (got to have something to do this time of year besides mow the lawn).  When I took it to the range on a sunny day I had to crank it up to the highest power to see the red dot well.  The problem was that thismade the red dot so large that it covered a lot of the target at 50 yards.  While the gun shoot reasonably well because of this it was not up to the standard that I got from the regular scope.  Is there a red dot or reflex ($100 or less) that is usable on low (small size dot) settings on sunny days?  44 is loaded with stout loads but not at top level.  Think just a little above WW white box.

RJ

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Red dot on sunny days
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:52:36 AM »
highest setting  on brightest  day

sounds like it is working like it should

i have been happy with my ultradot  for  over 20 years  now  [44mag win-trapper]
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 01:56:04 AM »
if you buy a good one like a aimpoint or trijicon the optics have better coatings and you wont have to crank them up near as far. Even my vortex strikefire does good in bright light. Its a red only model. The one they sold that was switchable from red to green didnt do near as well.
blue lives matter

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 02:41:56 AM »
Look at the Bushnell Trophy models to stay in your price range.

My Red/Green model is not only accurate, but holds up to the recoil of the .44 mag The 3moa dot works well in the bright sun with a setting of just 2 or 3. I have three more recticle choices. The crosshair is ok but kind of course, 3moa inside of a 65 moa circle tends to hide the target, and it has a 10 moa dot which may be good for a shot at a speeding car?

They also make a Red only model to include one with an auto shut off with the firearm turned sideways but I just did not trust this technology to turn the thing on when I really need it.

I, like a lot of others, have simply found that it works so well and for so long that one forgets about buying a more expensive one. The only problem that I had with mine is that I had to do three installations to keep the tube from slipping within the rings. This was cured by putting just a thin bead of the red loctite on the uppers n lowers of the ring half's. I am very happy with the 3moa dot and the green is great for dawn or dusk.

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 05:49:50 AM »
I am leaning toward putting the scope back on it.  The red dot was an interesting experiment but...My wife has a cheap Barska reflex on her 357 1894 and it isn't bad on a sunny day but it seems a little fragile looking.  One good bump against the deer stand might be all it took.  I have a friend that has an eurotec and swears by it but of course he paid $400 for it.  While I have the red dot on a Marlin 44 where I can really see the advantage of one would be on my Ruger Deerfield.  But then because of the odd Ruger scope mounting system I would have have it converted and that would involve more expense.Oh well someday when I get rich. :D 

RJ