Author Topic: Nano or Micro Cannon ( small dia. vent) Ignition  (Read 1357 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Nano or Micro Cannon ( small dia. vent) Ignition
« on: May 25, 2011, 08:19:52 AM »
   When I built a nano Cannon about two and a half years ago I wanted my new 10-Inch Rodman, 1:54 scale seacoast gun to look good with an appropriate sized vent.  We had 1.4mm fuse  and a little cross-match 1mm in dia. so I thought a .045" dia. vent would be about right.  These fuses, despite being really small, close to .040" still didn't fit and the cross-match was very fragile so you could not force it into the vent.  Powder trains with FFFg didn't work reliably either.  What to do?  I was sweeping up a bunch of white oak shavings from the jointer just thinking about that tiny vent.  Viola!  Broom straws!  Coated with BP, very fine BP.  Would they work.  Yup, they did.  After many glues and granulations of BP, we came up with a HOT BROOM STRAW that worked.  Pics below show method of manufacture.

Tracy & Mike

The small .045" dia. vent 10" Rodman nano cannon with a .182" BB sized bore.

Glue and straw experimental matls.  Spray adhesive and .025" to .030" dia. straws worked best.  Other glues did not work very well at all.

I converted an old bandaid box and a basswood block into a fuse holder.  I cut the straws into 3" lengths which can be cut to any length wanted.  Taped ends make doing a batch easier.

Two coats on each side works best.  One coat is a little sparse for coverage.  Can held at 10"from straws.

FFFFg granulation works best.  A small amount of 1,2 or 3 F powder can be converted to FFFFg with a small brass roller.  1/4 oz. at a time is safe to do while wearing heavy gloves and glasses.  Dip and flip and dip again.

They will look better than this if you use FFFFg  BP.  This is FFFg  BP.  A little thin.  Usually works,but not 100%.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Nano or Micro Cannon ( small dia. vent) Ignition
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 05:20:48 PM »
Will FFFFg work or how a meal or just grind what ever to dust?

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 06:29:44 PM »
      Either way, Double D.  We just renewed our supply last week by buying one Lb. of FFFFg locally.  That's at least a ten year supply.  We have used 'grind your own' 4F without screening for size, just going by looks, and it works fine even with some dust and some FFFg in each batch.  Two coats of spray adhesive with 10 to 12 inches of standoff is the secret.  More stickiness yields at least 100% more adhering powder for a superior flame going through the vent.

Suit yourself!

T&M

Online Double D

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 07:30:55 PM »
As we know from past experience with these broom corns and straws they will fire faster that a vent full of powder

Offline Microboomer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:50:32 AM »
Wow!  Thanks, this is just what I've been looking for.

I think that's the first view of the mount for that Rodman I've seen.  I wasn't around when you built it, but I found the barrel build in the archives about a month or so ago, and was quite impressed.  Do you have a side view of the mount?  Smoke and flame shot?  :)
andy

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 02:51:17 PM »
     Microboomer,    We kind of like that mount too.  It's a portion of an Iron, Seacoast, Front-Pintle, Casemate Carriage which includes an Upper Carriage and a lower Chassis with two wheels in the back and a pintle plate in the front.  The pics are found below and also a movie clip with smoke and fire.

Welcome to the board!

Tracy

The photo of an original 10" Rodman Gun at Fort Knox in Bucksport, Maine.  This was the inspiration for that particular Nano Cannon.

The side view you requested.  Size comparison to a 45 ACP cartridge.  In the background are the three bandsawed blanks for the Applied Trunnion Rings we must put on the Brooke cannons we are building.  They are 4150 steel, 2 inches thick and weigh 40 Lbs each.  After machining they weigh 5 Lbs each.

Click on this image for Smoke and Fire.  This has been shown before, but I haven't got time to search for it.

Online Double D

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:41:58 PM »
The recoil of that gun is incredible, you need  tie it down... ;D

Offline Microboomer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 02:23:45 AM »
Wow, that video gives a new meaning to "21 Gun Salute" - the nano Rodman is saluting the 21 Krupps guns!
Amazing how tiny the cannon looks in comparison to them.

Thanks for posting this.  I'd looked around a couple of times before and couldn't find the finished project.
Ya'll do some nice work!
andy