Author Topic: Houston Pawn One's stupid new gun policy  (Read 1060 times)

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
Houston Pawn One's stupid new gun policy
« on: May 26, 2011, 06:38:53 AM »
Visited a Pawn One yesterday here in Houston, found a nice Savage Rifle/Shotgun. Wanted to look at it. First had to hand over my ID, no problem. Gun had a gun lock of course.
Asked them to remove gun lock so I could check the action.
THEY NOW WILL NOT REMOVE THE GUN LOCK. You cannot check the action before you purchase.
Visited another Pawn One today. Nice Ruger Service-Six, pre-warning. I would have certainly bought it.
Asked them to remove gun lock so I could check action. They would not.
They said that is the 'new policy', they had an 'incident'.
Now I don't know about you guys, but I would never buy a used gun without checking the action (gently, no dry-firing even, unless I asked first), checking bore condition, etc.
I asked for the number at headquarters, they said I could leave them my contact info and they would 'have someone get back to me'. Of course they can make any policy they want, it's their business. But I don't have to do my business there.
I left my info, and we'll see.
It's very sad we have fewer and fewer places to find guns and ammo for sale.

Offline Conan The Librarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonalds. Blecch!
Re: Houston Pawn One's stupid new gun policy
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »
I wouldn't dream of buying a gun without checking the trigger pull several times carefully. Sounds like the pawn shop had multiple incidents: The one they mentioned and the ones where you walked out without buying a gun. Eventually they'll get the message.

Also eventually, you'll stop going there and forget they ever existed.

Offline Spencer, Carey

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:32:16 AM »
Ask those mental giants if they will buy a car, or tv, or computer, etc. from you, but they dont have the option to check it out first and see how they take that! Whats good for the goose is good for the gander after all, right? Pawn One huh? Ill check those idiots out online. If you go bacck, ask them if they will be willing to settle out of court when the firearm they denied you the right to examine blows up in your hand when you test fire it next. Unbelievable!!

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:52:06 AM »
Well, as was stated, being a private business, they can set the rules.  Its unfortunate, but between the ATF breathing down gun dealers necks, the constant risk of law suits, and probably some idiot slipping a loaded round into a gun or two at their establishment, well, you see the results.  Be nice if they could find a middle ground, but common sense is sometimes in short supply....

Reason I replied to this post is a few weeks ago, I was riding my bike, ripped jeans, dirty T shirt, and wearing a full beard.  Pulled up to a backwoods gun shop, and browsed some.  Guy was watching me like a hawk.  I could tell I was making him nervous.  Asked to see one of the new SIG P290's, and he took it out to show me, but would not let me handle it.  I asked him what was wrong, didn't he trust me, and he stated "you have to have a clean record to buy a gun, you know".  I smiled, and showed him my retired LEO ID.  He started to apologize, but I cut him off, told him where to place his apology, and left.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Spencer, Carey

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 11:40:21 AM »
I hear ya BigEasy. Just gets under my skin that they put restrictions that make no sense on us and fail to even recognize or enforce existing laws on so many other issues for the sake of "political correctness". Of course you are right about some idiot trying to load a gun, etc, but it still bothers me. Thanx for sharing your story with us.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 01:37:50 PM »
Don't feel bad, Bigeasy, I used to get the same treatment when I had my beard and wore flip flops most of the time off duty.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 02:52:55 AM »
Easy enough to fix, walk back out the door and shop somewhere else.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 04:05:51 AM »
Maybe after a while they`ll see their "new" policy is having a major affect on gun sales.  Lesson learned.     
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 03:10:20 AM »
Maybe after a while they`ll see their "new" policy is having a major affect on gun sales.   

Sadly, it probably will not.  Consider the ramifications of that!  Consider the New Masses of under-educated gun owners without so much as the rudiments of gun ownership.  That is the legacy of political policy, school board policy, and mass brainwashing.

He started to apologize, but I cut him off, told him where to place his apology, and left.
Two wrongs don't make it right.  You could have decided to let it go.  You were not really that interested at the particular moment and had other things on your mind - like making a fool out of the gun shop employee for not knowing something that wasn't in his realm of possibilities to know about you in the first place.  Come on Man!

Appearance does play a part in how we view the world (Profiling Happens).  How does the premiss "Innocent until proven Guilty" work?  LEO's treat everyone with a cold, hard, street-wise, experience driven, profiling, personal safety first attitude and the "system" even gives a guilty-by-association sounding pseudonym "suspect", as if they were guilty from the get-go for the protection of the officer.  We the People have gotten used to that.  Why is it so difficult to expect otherwise when that shoe is on the other foot?

I am NOT the ENEMY, but who can tell?

Offline Bigeasy

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 05:10:15 AM »
He started to apologize, but I cut him off, told him where to place his apology, and left.
Two wrongs don't make it right.  You could have decided to let it go.  You were not really that interested at the particular moment and had other things on your mind - like making a fool out of the gun shop employee for not knowing something that wasn't in his realm of possibilities to know about you in the first place.  Come on Man!

Appearance does play a part in how we view the world (Profiling Happens).  How does the premiss "Innocent until proven Guilty" work?  LEO's treat everyone with a cold, hard, street-wise, experience driven, profiling, personal safety first attitude and the "system" even gives a guilty-by-association sounding pseudonym "suspect", as if they were guilty from the get-go for the protection of the officer.  We the People have gotten used to that.  Why is it so difficult to expect otherwise when that shoe is on the other foot?

I am NOT the ENEMY, but who can tell?
[/quote]

Gotta disagree with you on that one.  I take exception with any business that judges or discriminates based on appearance.  The fact that I had been camping out in a tent for a week, and looked the part should have had no bearing as a customer, and has nothing to do with experienced LEO being able to spot a potential suspect based on a lot of factors besides just appearance.  I used my ID simply to point out to him his assumption was wrong.  He, by the way, did a good job of making a fool of himself.

One thing I, and most experienced LEO's have learned is that a persons appearance alone is a real red herring when it comes to what that person is really like.  I have known men who looked like the guy next door who were cold stone killers, and weekend biker want to be's who would give you the shirt off their back.  No one likes cops until its your daughter that was raped, or your car that was stolen....

Lot of bearded, honest, good old boy rednecks around here that would have a hard time buying a gun, new car, etc. if appearance was a deciding factor.  If your comments were based on the fact that I am retired LEO, so "deserved it", well, no comment..

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 06:23:33 AM »
No one likes cops until its your daughter that was raped, or your car that was stolen....
Actually, no one likes the condescending lecture and tone of command that, should the citizen use on the cop, would possibly get him shot. And I wish they'd recovered a single piece of my stolen property. I don't think it was as high a priority as running the speedtrap or 'DUI Checkpoint' (read, fishing expedition) but I might could be wrong on that. And I, for one, don't think retired LEO necessarily deserve shabby treatment, because of their old job... unless they deserve it. Of course, I don't think they deserve any extra consideration, either. In some locales, retired LEO can carry weapons, whereas regular citizens - subjects? - cannot... that is just wrong.

To the thread... the idea of not being able to handle firearm before purchase rankles. I'm supposed to drop five hundred bucks, and only then find out it's got a gritty trigger? What we need are, more try before you buy shops... little range in back...
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Bigeasy

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 07:54:42 AM »
No one likes cops until its your daughter that was raped, or your car that was stolen....
Actually, no one likes the condescending lecture and tone of command that, should the citizen use on the cop, would possibly get him shot. And I wish they'd recovered a single piece of my stolen property. I don't think it was as high a priority as running the speedtrap or 'DUI Checkpoint' (read, fishing expedition) but I might could be wrong on that. And I, for one, don't think retired LEO necessarily deserve shabby treatment, because of their old job... unless they deserve it. Of course, I don't think they deserve any extra consideration, either. In some locales, retired LEO can carry weapons, whereas regular citizens - subjects? - cannot... that is just wrong.

To the thread... the idea of not being able to handle firearm before purchase rankles. I'm supposed to drop five hundred bucks, and only then find out it's got a gritty trigger? What we need are, more try before you buy shops... little range in back...

This is really starting to get off topic, but since people keep quoting me, I'll respond.

I have seen very few cops go out of their way to harass someone for no reason.  In the vast majority of cases, the attitude you present is the attitude you will receive, as is the case in almost all aspects of life.  I have, quite a few times, seen officers maintain a professional demeanor, when confronted with situations that would cause most folks to loose their cool.  I think you would have to dig pretty hard to find any instances of a cop shooting an innocent citizen because he didn't like his "condescending attitude".

The law you are referring to is called the Peace Officers Safety Act.  It  was an idea backed by Congress and the NRA to allow tens of thousands of retired LEO with at least 20 years  service to legally carry outside of their home state.  This has resulted in the frustration of many crimes, and the saving of many innocent lives over the years.  A bad thing, I know.  To put it into context, there are a large number of states that offer reciprocity of other states pistol permits.  Not all do.  So if you live in a state where your permit is not recognized by others, well, that's not fair, so it follows that no one should be allowed to carry, because you cant.  Right?

Larry

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 09:05:17 AM »
I have, quite a few times, seen officers maintain a professional demeanor, when confronted with situations that would cause most folks to loose their cool.  I think you would have to dig pretty hard to find any instances of a cop shooting an innocent citizen because he didn't like his "condescending attitude".
I think you're right about that. What I meant to convey was, that police can get away with behavior they would never tolerate from citizens. Ever. They can act in ways that would get me shot, and do it with impunity. No flame intended, there, just an observation. If I display a weapon or God forbid, point it at someone - I get charged with a felony, or shot. Officer Friendly can say he drew his weapon because he was in fear for his life, or uses that favored card (officer safety which seems to cover all kinds of things that would get most folks thrown in jail. I'm thinking of the cop in Philly who POINTED A WEAPON at a citizen legally carrying. 

The law you are referring to is called the Peace Officers Safety Act.  It  was an idea backed by Congress and the NRA to allow tens of thousands of retired LEO with at least 20 years  service to legally carry outside of their home state.  This has resulted in the frustration of many crimes, and the saving of many innocent lives over the years.  A bad thing, I know.
I'd never say that myself, Larry, as I'm fine with frustration of crime. I'm not quite so fine with the gov't creating a special class of citizens (retired leo's) with special rights. I'm in favor of equal protection to all civilians. How many here think that that former LEOs' lives should be held in higher regard than those of non-LEO, and so they're entitled to be armed while benighted subjects are not? May be that mine is a minority view, here. Was the idea behind this law further LE work by retirees, or... their personal safety, in being able to go about armed? If the latter... again, their lives are worth than those who have not been in gov't LE employ? I understand this can be spun either way, but it smacks of favoritism of the kind we don't need. I'm fine with former LEO being armed, just like any other citizen. And I'm consistent here; on gun control, I'm fine with it so long as the same rules apply to LEO orgs as to free men. Does the FBI agent keep a submachine gun in his car? Then citizens should be entitled to do the same. At least LEO gets someone else to pay for his ammo... :)
So if you live in a state where your permit is not recognized by others, well, that's not fair, so it follows that no one should be allowed to carry, because you cant.  Right?
Eh... I wouldn't phrase it that way.

Anyhow... I understand your disappointment with unfriendly gunshop. An observation - that's kind of common. Lots of shops have a certain... self-importance. The ones that don't, are golden.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »
I sent them a nasty E-mail, telling them what I thought of their policy.  Rio, nest time you are in the area check and see if their policy stands.  Rog

I'll be down there in the fall, and I think I'll just have to hunt this place up.  Yea, I'm a rabble rouser.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 12:17:05 PM »
Larry...It was NOT my intent to suggest or to imply any such thing.

I think the treatment you received in the backwoods Gun Shop and the "policy" of the OP's Pawn Shop are each as equally negative to avoid trading with either one.

Offline powderman

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »
Theres a big gunshop about 10 miles outside of Owensboro KY called Whittakers. They boast of a 6,000 gun inventory. I've been there 2x and just love going in there. All of the long guns are openly displayed, row after row of them. See something ya like?? Pick it up and handle it. I handled a $6,000 rifle reduced to $5, 600 just because I could. I'm going to post their link from memory, hope this is it. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D

www.whittakerguns.com
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 04:21:54 AM »
There used to be a shop like that in OKC a few years back Powderman.
It was called Southwest Shooters if memory serves me correctly.
They went out of business because there customer service was shabby.
You couldn't hardly get anyone to wait on you.
Prices were pretty good.
But there's another place in OKC that had better prices called Outdoors America.
Thier customer service was lacking also, but a little better.
In the end the place with better prices survived and flourished.
But in both cases they let you handle the guns freely.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline powderman

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 05:30:28 AM »
OLD FART. HEH, thats what I call my sister in law. Whittakers has good help and seems to be more reasonable than anybody else around here. I'd love to go there more just to look but it's about 90 miles from me, nice country down there too. A new shop opened up a few months ago clos by but it's still growing, not a big inventory and he has his guns out for all to handle as they please. He said it was because he liked how Whittakers did. He is really high. The only bargain I found was a beautiful Savage 99 with a big scope and in 308 for either $360, or $380, can't remember which. I couldn't afford it but wracked my brain trying to figure a way I could buy it. The link I provided might give some of you the current prices on guns in our area, Lou is higher though. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 08:17:42 AM »
The only bargain I found was a beautiful Savage 99 with a big scope and in 308 for either $360, or $380, can't remember which. I couldn't afford it but wracked my brain trying to figure a way I could buy it. The link I provided might give some of you the current prices on guns in our area, Lou is higher though. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
I'd sure like to find a nice Savage 99 in .308 but with a little scope.... 2-7x32 would do nicely..

Offline powderman

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 11:40:36 AM »
yellow. That was the only one I remember seeing in ANY gun shop. My neighbor has one but would never part with it. Dealer said a guy who lives down on the river bought it.  POWDERMAN.  :o :o

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 11:59:47 AM »
yellow. That was the only one I remember seeing in ANY gun shop. My neighbor has one but would never part with it. Dealer said a guy who lives down on the river bought it.  POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Many years ago I had a pal with a Savage 99 chambered in .243... and I've wanted one since then, but in a little bigger cartridge. And truth is, I'm not sure they're all that wonderful a rifle... but I do like the look of them. For now the 336 does the job, but I'm keeping and eye out for one like you saw...

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 12:31:50 PM »
I reckon' there is a flip side to this too Rio.  A friend runs a pawn shop, and all his used guns were out on a floor rack for folks to check.  On one occasion, I found a fully loaded muzzle loader, cap and all in the hands of a boy.  I noticed the cap on the nipple and took it from him rather forcefully, scaring the lights out of him, but he had cocked the hammer.

On another occasion, I picked up a rusty old Glenfield 22 that was fully loaded and a round chambered.

Whose fault....?  His of course, even though an employee was directly responsible.  A few weeks later someone came in and made a "grab and go" of 4 rifles while he was there and he didn't even notice.

Now his guns are behind the counter, and he checks each one before he hands it out as he should do.

Most likely your pawn dealer had similar instances, with perhaps less lucky outcomes and has over reacted.

Big Easy,  I went to  a car dealership with a friend once, who had saved enough cash to buy a new vette.  Because he hadn't shaved in a couple days, and had on work clothes, they wouldn't even give him the time of day.  We drove 50 miles away where he paid cash.  His first stop?  That dealership, just to show that salesman his new ride...... ;D

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)