Author Topic: reduced .308 load  (Read 426 times)

Offline 1911bmw

• Trade Count: (5)
reduced .308 load
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:55:00 PM »
I am loading some reduced velocity .308 loads using hornady 208gr. A max bullets.  Using Trailboss powder I am at 14 grains which is case capacity but have not reached the velocity I am looking for.  I want to keep the case as full as I can.  So my question is what powder is almost as bulky as trailboss and still fast and clean?

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
Re: reduced .308 load
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:13:59 AM »
If you haven't already done so and if you're OK on pressure, you could add a bit more Trail Boss and compress the load a bit.

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: reduced .308 load
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 04:05:34 AM »
In conversations about reduced loads with the Hodgdon tech folks they have said that the max load with Trailboss is whatever you can fit in the case without compressing the powder.  Unless you have published Hodgdon/IMR data listing a compressed load I would call them at 913-362-9455 before using a compressed load, especially since a heavy for caliber bullet takes up a lot of case space and can really skew pressure curves. 

The published rifle loads for Trailboss limit velocity to around 1600 FPS since the powder is intended primarily for lead bullets and they want to keep excessive barrel leading down.  Note that Trailboss is used for reduced velocities and relatively full cases for uniform ignition and it does not mean that the pressures are lower.  In some cases they are right up to maximum pressures for many cartridges.

You don't say what velocities you are looking for so recommending a load or powder may be tough but, here goes...

Hodgdon H4895 has been tested for reduced loads (it's the only Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester powder tested for them) and the rule of thumb is that you can use as little as 60% of the max powder charge and get consistent ignition, pressures and velocities.  There's and article on reduced loads with H4895 at:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/reduced_recoil_H4895.htm

H4895 can be used for reduced loads from .223 Remington to .458 Win Mag and Hodgdon's website has a lot of info on reduced loads.

Hodgdon lists a 200 grain .308 Winchester load at 41 grains of H4895 as the maximum charge with 2403 FPS velocity.  60% of that is 24.6 grains, the lowest you could go with H4895.  I suspect that it would give around 1600 FPS with a 200-208 grain bullet.  A change of 3 grains seems to give about a 150 FPS change although a chronograph would be needed to confirm that guess.  Looking at the maximum velocities with Trailboss and the minimum likely velocity with H4895 I think that together they will cover any velocity you want.

I do wonder if Trailboss can be safely used to push a heavy for caliber bullet to the velocity you want.  From the little published rifle data I've seen there are few if any heavy for caliber bullets listed (although I haven't looked around too much).

Hodgdon has a ton of data that's not on the site so I suggest calling them for more info and suggestions.

Good luck

Lance