Author Topic: Which accuracy trigger?  (Read 1528 times)

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
Which accuracy trigger?
« on: May 29, 2011, 09:18:31 AM »
I have never been happy with my miil-spec trigger on my AR.  Whech improved trigger would anyone recomend?  Jewel Timney or Jard. How light would you go? I wouldn't mnd being able to shoot some really snmallgroups, but the current trigger has its limitations. 

Thanks for your input! ;D

JeffG
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Re: Which accuracy trigger?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:02:16 PM »
I was looking in to that same topic...I haven't made a decision yet but here is a link to some information that you might want to read.
Trigger info
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 04:52:41 AM »
I have a timney on my bushy natl match...I'm not totally enamoured with it.  It's 3lbs and crisp, sometimes doesn't reset bu that's my fault as it needs to be released fully between shots.  I have a bushy lower that came from a varminter and it has their 2 stage varminter trigger....superior to the timney.  I have the trigger parts to the natl match...not as good as the varminter.

If I had to do it again....I'd have a smith polish the orig trigger.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 05:08:19 AM »
I have been considering a geissele match rifle trigger.  My friend has a couple of timneys and they are good but I am looking for something great.  The original trigger is very heavy.  This is the website   www.geissele.com.   Anybody else try these triggers?

Thanks,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline jmayton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:07:03 AM »
JP if you're on a budget.  Jewel if not.  If you want a good two-stage, the Rock River isn't bad.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:51:40 AM »
JP if you're on a budget.  Jewel if not.  If you want a good two-stage, the Rock River isn't bad.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This just about covers it.  Jewel beats out everything on the market I've been able to try.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 06:59:48 PM »
Thanks for the input guys! I will mull it all over.  Sorry about the typos in my original post....gotta get more sleep! :o
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 10:44:23 PM »
i changed to the 3 lb timney trigger my groups tightened a bit was shooting 55 gr hollow points so i switched to 62 gr 18 inch barrel 1-9 twist shoots clover leafs at 100 yards.shot the same in my rock river 20 inch bull will shot thru same hole single stage trigger.see what it will do with the 62's first.ar's are amazing.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 01:47:29 PM »
I have had good luck out of just doing trigger jobs on the factory units. I use a dremel with cotton wheel and jewelers rouge. From there you can put in jp enterprises reduced power springs in red(medium) or yellow(light). Or you can clip one leg of a stock hammer spring in half. My precision AR has a clipped yellow hammer spring with a 2# pull. My normal rifles have a clipped factory hammer spring or a red jp hammer spring for about a  4# pull.
Molon labe

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 02:42:25 AM »
for 60 bucks this guy will make you a crisp breaking 2.5 lb trigger. Much cheaper then buying a drop in and his turn around is pretty quick.  http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html
blue lives matter

Offline stalker1

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 06:37:33 PM »
I've used CMC triggers on my last 3 builds and they all pull a measured 3lb. pull. The newest has fired about 1200 rounds and the oldest has over 4500 and they still pull at 3lbs. They are single stage and break like glass with zero creep or overtravel. No adjustments, modular, and come with pins and retainers. Botach tactical have them for $159 to $169.

Offline emsemt911

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 02:40:59 PM »
i just put a lighter trigger spring kit i all my ar. 

I have been looking at the Wilson Combat trigger.  It sounds
pretty promising

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 02:52:23 PM »
I'm kinda in the same boat I'm looking to replace he trigger in my LR308. Far as I know the lr308 will take any ar15 trigger group. I've been looking at the timney triggers bu truly can't decide whether to g with the ar10 version or the ar15 version. I've looked at the JP's but I'd like to get the whole unit sear + hammer but for the price it's only $50 sifference from the Timney.

Offline DC

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 02:32:52 PM »
I went with the Timmney.  It is set at 3#, crisp and clean.  It was a little pricey but worth it.
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(