Author Topic: 300 lb parrot.  (Read 635 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
300 lb parrot.
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:52:04 AM »
well i am home from nationals and now i have 2 weeks till the new river vally shoot, so i have pulled out the books and have decided to build a 300 lb parrot rifle.  in 1/8 scale.  so we will have a bore of 1.25   fun fun.   I hope to have this barrel done for the shoot in two weeks.  with a simple wood carriage. for now. the iron carriage will come with time. 
   just think maybe there will be a few geese out on the firing line in the morning.  so i can use up my lead bird shot. lol  just kidding. 

rick bryan

Offline BoomLover

Re: 300 lb parrot.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »
 :) A Noble Endeavor...removing the threat of "Goose Poo" from raining down from above in the case of a flyover....A Parrot to take out a Goose, and with bird shot, maybe a flock of Geese ...BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:37:39 PM »
Jezz Romper thats not much time to make a cannon ! Good luck  ;D

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline bluelake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • 1871 US Military Action in Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:47:49 PM »
300 lb. parrott: "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty..." ;D 8) (Sorry, old joke)

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 04:57:14 AM »
"Heeeer Kitty kitty kitty...BOOM hahahahaha

is a ringtone on my friends phone
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 01:22:29 PM »
     Do you really mean we have to wait two whole weeks for you to start, work on and then finish this cannon.  What's the hold up, Rick?   ;) ;)  At 1/8 scale the tube should weigh just about fifty-two and a half pounds, lighter than your Brooke only because of the smaller scale.  If we made a 300 Pdr. in our typical 1/6 scale the tube would weigh almost one hundred twenty-five  pounds.  When you add metal to the diameter of a cannon it really starts to put on pounds, just like people.  Can't wait to see it , Rick, even on a temp. carriage.  We need fire and smoke pics from the NRV shoot!!

When you get to making the iron front pintle or center pintle, barbette carriage and chassis, let us know, because there is a pretty steep learning curve on fastening with steel rivets and we could save you lots of time.

Tracy & Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 01:55:39 PM »

When you get to making the iron front pintle or center pintle, barbette carriage and chassis, let us know, because there is a pretty steep learning curve on fastening with steel rivets and we could save you lots of time.

Tracy & Mike
Being close by hopfully I can give him a few pointers too if he needs them, I have riveted a couple of 1919A4 reciever boxes together.

He did a great job on the brook so I looking forward to what he brings about next.

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 01:57:51 PM »
well,  he are my thoughts,  i have been rethinking the parrot this week, and are gong to build a gun i can finish and shoot at the shoot and look good, so i am going with the 9 inch Dahlgren on steel carriage.  i can have that finished and ready to shoot in the time i have. I will start turning tommorrow.  the breach diameter will be 5 inches.  so scale??  I am not sure yet i have let a friend borrow the prints so i will pic them up tommorrow. should be fun.  parrot rifle will come later in a few weeks. with a steel carriage. and yes seacoast i have lots of questions for you guys, and i am jsut trying to write them all down so i dont keep bothering you guys tomuch.  and yes the rivets are at the top of my list.   milling out the I beams is the main thing that is holding me back.

rick bryan