Author Topic: Help needed with old Low Wall  (Read 772 times)

Offline inthebeech

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Help needed with old Low Wall
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:56:11 AM »
An old Winchester Low Wall which is in our family is marked on the barrel "25 WCF" which I thought meant 25-20.  I tried to chamber a 25-20 and it wouldn't go.  There is no dirt or crud of any kind so I have no ideal what cartridge this gun actually shoots.  Can you folks help me out?

Here is as much as I am certain of;

Definately a Low Wall from the images that I've seen everywhere, and of course definately Winchester.
Marking is exactly as I described
Octagon barrel, steel butt...
Serial number just under 60,000 (located on lower tank behind drop lever.

Thanks,
Ed

Offline guzzijohn

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help needed with old Low Wall
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:02:29 AM »
25-35?
GuzziJohn

Offline inthebeech

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:52:50 AM »
Not being familiar at all with these old cartridges, I will do my best to describe the chamber.

Take maybe a 22 Hornet and give it a larger rim.  The shoulder was very gradual and the body not much larger than the neck.  This I guess is why the shoulder of the 25-20 was the first thing to prevent chambering - it was probably hitting the very beginning of the chamber.
I'm not shooting anything through it until I get a definite answer and then go and borrow a set of chamber gauges from a gunsmith.

Offline eastbank

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:28:05 AM »
it may be a 25 wcf single shot, check in cartridges of the world.in the obsolete american rifle cartridges( it in chapter 2 in my older book

Offline inthebeech

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:08:18 AM »
Thank you very much.
This looks like it is it, I'd say.
Unfortunately, it also looks even more rare than the 25-20's that I just bought for a dollar a shot.
much appreciated.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 12:00:34 PM »
25 WCF is a correct designation for the 25-20, aka 25-20 Winchester or 25/32-20 (all 1.33" cases), and not the 25-35 WCF, aka 25-35 Winchester or 6.5X52R (2.043" case).    There was also a 25-20 Single Shot, aka 25-20 SS (1.603 case).   The smart move would be to do a chamber cast to confirm what you have before trying to buy/make ammo or trying to shoot it.
FWIW

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus