Author Topic: Fixed 6X riflescope  (Read 8038 times)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Fixed 6X riflescope
« on: June 01, 2011, 02:58:50 AM »
Who still makes a fixed 6X riflescope?  The Leupolds have been out of stock at the online dealer I usually buy from. Monark used to make one but I can't find one of theirs either and the european makers I can't afford.  ::)

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline parkergunshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
Re: Fixed 6X riflescope
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 04:35:03 AM »
Midway has Weaver, Leupold several models and several off brand cheap 6x scopes:

Weaver Classic K-Series Rifle Scope 6x 38mm Dual-X Reticle Matte
Product #: 468799
4.57142857142857 stars$149.99

Leupold FX-3 Rifle Scope 6x 42mm LR Duplex Reticle Matte
Product #: 828576
5 stars$429.99
U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:54:24 PM »
weaver is a good scope
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
blue lives matter

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 02:07:15 PM »
I checked out one of the new Weaver Classic's in 6x and it was a very nice scope. Real bright, crystal clear image. Great scope for the money. ;)

Spanky

Offline glazer1972

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 03:08:51 PM »
I like the Leupold FX3 6x42 but it's price is pretty stout.

The Japanese Weaver K6 6x38 is an excellent scope at a little bit over a hundred.  The lifetime warranty on the Weaver is only too the original owner though.

Only two I ever had any experience with.

I also like the FXII 4x33 and the Weaver K4 4x38 if someone were looking for a 4x.

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 07:22:40 PM »
I've got acouple of these

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=229764

If you can find them Weaver made a steel tube T6 with AO they hold there value @ $200 better than the later model.  Leupold made a compact 6x with an AO also and those run around $200-$250.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
To each his own, but I feel that a 6X is right in the middle of being useless.  Too big for a low power and not enough for a higher power.  Why not get a 3X9 or a 4X12 and have the best of both ends.  I think you can spend your money wiser.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 03:18:59 AM »
charles i have got to about agree with you. Ive thought many times about putting a 6x on something just because of the cool factor but everytime i look at a gun i think what would be best for my hunting needs and invariably the answer is some kind of variable. A 4x fixed is actually better for this area then a 6x. But then a 3x9 or 2x7 covers it all and in most cases doesnt cost a penny more then a 6x.
To each his own, but I feel that a 6X is right in the middle of being useless.  Too big for a low power and not enough for a higher power.  Why not get a 3X9 or a 4X12 and have the best of both ends.  I think you can spend your money wiser.
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 04:50:12 AM »
Lloyd,

Have you ever tried a good quality fixed 6x40 or 6x42? They are one of my favorite scopes. I also love the leupold M8 3x riflescopes. I believe in most cases though the leupold 6x42 is superior to any variable I've ever used....... ;)  Try one and see how you feel about it then.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 06:25:14 AM »
pastorp - what are you considering mounting a 6x on?

I ask because I thought about using a 6x on a 22LR, but also considered a 6x on a light weight coyote gun.
Seems like the scopes for those applications would have different attributes.

I have a 4x and really like it, all others are variable, but I rarely vary them; a 2-7 is used as either a 2 or 7.

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 07:42:05 AM »
Just as I prefer to find one good load for a rifle and not alter it, I also prefer a fixed power scope. either 4x or 6x on rifles.  Trouble is most people want the variable power scopes thinking it will make the rifle shoot better.  With fixed power scopes you can learn how to judge the distance and also learn the trajectory of the projectile better.  You actually have to learn how to shoot.  With variable power scopes (ie extra moving parts) there is just more potential for seal leaks, and more that can go wrong. 
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 04:16:15 PM »
Have a K4 and K6...............very good scopes, had them for 5+ years.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 03:14:44 AM »
ive never owned one but have looked through a number of those leupolds and they seemed like excellent scopes. Problem is around here in regular deer season we hunt fields and swamps so a 6x is a bit to much for quick work in the swamp. It would probably work fine for crop damage deer shooting but even then when the ranges get out past 300 yards and up to 500 a bit more power is nice. Im sure it could be used though. I do have fixed 4x scopes on a couple guns and theyve worked for the most part. But the problem still remains. In calibers like 243s-06s that i use for both crop damage and regular deer season i want lower power and for the 25-06 up into the mags that we use for long range shooting id like a bit more and just cant see the any advantage to a 6x when i can buy a 2x7, 3x9 or 4x12 just as cheap. Sure you may claim there a bit more rugged and they might be but a typical 3x9 leupold is a pretty rugged scope itself.
Lloyd,

Have you ever tried a good quality fixed 6x40 or 6x42? They are one of my favorite scopes. I also love the leupold M8 3x riflescopes. I believe in most cases though the leupold 6x42 is superior to any variable I've ever used....... ;)  Try one and see how you feel about it then.

Regards,
blue lives matter

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 03:04:26 PM »
LLoyd, my son had a Leupold 6x42mm with a heavy duplex reticle on his .280 and hunted eastern NC swamps with it and had no problems. He sold the rifle and scope and just got a .308 with a Leupold 6x36mm with their post & duplex reticle for hunting here in WV. It's not as thick as swamps but pretty brushy.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
I love 6X on a 50-100 yd. shot on deer, most shots stationary. My variables invariably(snort)stay on number six.Now if we're dogging or driving or in real tight spots they get dialed down a little. Seems to me a fixed power scope can be very accurate 'cause of no shift in plane.I still have a M70 .243 that would shoot clovers @100 with a stinkin' 4X weaver. But no,I had to have a 3x9 on it and have struggled to do half as good.Know the gun will do it.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 03:48:44 AM »
kind of the beauty of a variable is if you want you can do just what you did and leave it on 6x if thats what you like. But i dont know to many that wont admit that 2 or 3x is a bit better in the thick close stuff and that when shots come out past 300 yards a bit more then 6x is never a bad thing. As to accuracy ive never noticed any decrease in accuracy by switching from a 4x fixed scope to a 3x9 but then i dont buy cheap vairable scopes either. bottom line it comes down to what your comfortable with. If you believe your 6x is more reliable then you will have more confidense and probably shoot better with it. Me i feel like Im limiting myself when i dont need to be. If i had to i could get along very nicely with a 4x scope if i had to but the thing is i dont have to. Variables, at least the better ones are every bit as reliable and in many cases have even better optics then the fixed powered scopes as most companys dont put much research into improving fixed power scopes as they just dont sell like there variable models so in alot of cases you wont get as good of glass. The leupold 6x is an exception to that but there 4x isnt. I guess i just dont see why anymore a guy limits himself with a fixed scope when for the same money he can buy a variable thats just as good.
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 06:52:53 AM »
Lloyd,

I just don't see how you can pass judgement on something you have never used.... ;)  A leupold or zeiss or other quality brand 6x riflescope is not the same as a 3x9 set on 6x. If you actually hunted one for a while you would find that out.  :o 

The leupold 6x42 is the best of the american made 6xs currently for sale, I believe. I know most hunters prefer a varible but then again many have never used any fixed power scope except a old weaver.. Thats a bad comparison.  ;D

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline parkergunshop

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »
Ok,

I have a half dozen variable scopes mostly Leupolds however here are my fixed power scopes:

Lyman All American 3X cross hair and post on a .308 Winchester.
Lyman All American 4X cross hair and post on a .458 Winchester Mag.
Lyman All American 4X fine cross hair on a .257 Ackley Roberts improved.
Burris 4X with heavy duplex on a .375 H&H Mag.
Weaver 6X with cross hair and post on a .270 Winchester.

On rifles with heavy recoil, I prefer fix power scopes because I feel that they can handle recoil better than a more complex scope with more moving parts and not suffer failures.

A lot of my friends have expensive German made scopes and some of them are excellent,  better than any Leupold I have seen, but I personally cannot justify putting a $1,000-$2,000 scope on a $500 dollar rifle.

Everyone should be open to someone else's opinion without trying to dominate the field.

I for one don't feel short changed using my fixed power scopes in any reasonable hunting situation in the mountains and foothills of NC.  Someone else's hunting situation may be very different from mine, I know a fellow with a 27,000 acre spread in Wyoming,  I would probably use my .308 Norma Mag with a 3x9 variable or my .338 Winchester mag with a 4x10 variable there.

In Africa, my .375 and .458 with fixed  3 and 4 powers are as good as you need, noone needs to take long, long high risk shots on the type of game hunted there.

The situation sometimes helps make the decision on scopes, one size does not fit all.
U.S. Airforce 1961-1967

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 10:26:45 AM »
 ;)  I have a number of 6x scopes..a couple Leupolds and one old Lyman ...all are clear..but not superior to a 3-9 Leupold...the Lyman has been in the gun cab. for the last 20 years, and the two 6 powers from Leupold are on model 99 Savages...While some may like the 6x. to me it has too little power for long shooting and too much for close range shooting...my last trip to Africa, I took a 6x on one of my rifles..I planned to use it most...but when trying it out, I took one waterbuck with it..then switched to a rifle with a 4-12...not for long range shooting, but for picking a hole in the heavy brush to shoot though..the 6 x just didn't have it...for my money it would be a 3-9 everyday over a straight 6xxxxx

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »
we can go round and round on this forever as its mostly a personal perference thing. I may not have hunted with a straight 6x scope but i have shot a few guns with them mounted and i just cant see why you feel there so superior to a variable set on 6x. Parkergunshop you are welcome to your opinion too but ive had variables on 458 mags that never gave me a lick of trouble. The days when recoil wrecked variable scopes past 20 years ago. At least if you buy a quality variable. Ill just ask the same question. I what way do they hold ANY advantage over a good variable. It isnt optics or cost or reliability so whats the majic answer other then some think theres some cool factor to them.
Lloyd,

I just don't see how you can pass judgement on something you have never used.... ;)  A leupold or zeiss or other quality brand 6x riflescope is not the same as a 3x9 set on 6x. If you actually hunted one for a while you would find that out.  :o 

The leupold 6x42 is the best of the american made 6xs currently for sale, I believe. I know most hunters prefer a varible but then again many have never used any fixed power scope except a old weaver.. Thats a bad comparison.  ;D

Regards,
blue lives matter

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 02:25:34 AM »
always bought variables. tried a weaver 6x. i realized that i always hunted with 3x and shot at the range with 9x. so range time was not really much use as hunt training. now i always have the same sight picture. and i stand up at the range to work on reasonable offhand shots. even woods hunting i mostly walk the cutting roads to still hunt. a 25-50 yd shot is very doable

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 02:35:48 AM »
you guys are better riflemen then me if you can consistantly get on a running deer in the thick stuff at 25 yards with a 6x scope. I have to wonder why there isnt more of them on dangerous game guns ;)
blue lives matter

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 05:11:50 AM »
only a fool shoots at running deer in the woods. too many other people in there. but if you got an open clearing or road you are walking  near,which is what i do, then it is fine. maybe not exactly the still hunting some think of.  anyway not trying to change your mind just pointing what i like about fixed scopes

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 05:37:51 AM »
Shooting running deer in the woods is a piece of cake if you can shoot.  A fixed 6X isn't worth anything.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 05:47:02 AM »
Ahhh, Swampy. Your back from your all expense paid Remington cruise.......Good to see you posting again.  ;D

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 01:12:54 PM »
thanks for the insight swampy

Offline parkergunshop

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
Swampy wrote:

Shooting running deer in the woods is a piece of cake if you can shoot.  A fixed 6X isn't worth anything.   Report to moderator    Logged "You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~

You tell'm Swampy,   I kill my first deer in  NC in midair jumping a creek with an Enfield No. 4 .303 British with a Williams Peep sight with a ghost ring rear in 1969.  My first deer period  was killed on the run with a 7.7 Jap with the military rear peep sight on the run in 1964 in Maine.    At close range in the woods, a scope can sometimes be a handicap, though all my dozens of deer since have been killed useing a scope, mostly a 2x7 or 3x9 Leupold, but several with 3X, 4X and 6X scopes from Weaver or Lyman.   As you get older a scope becomes more of an asset.       
U.S. Airforce 1961-1967

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »
thanks for the insight swampy

You're welcome....Try to get more than 10 feet from the highway.  There's no logical reason to choose a fixed power scope.  The 6X is the worst of the lot.  Not powerful enough for long shots and too powerful for close shots.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 04:37:47 PM »
so kind swampy... really. thanks again