Author Topic: Fixed 6X riflescope  (Read 8044 times)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Fixed 6X riflescope
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2011, 08:25:27 AM »
Greetings everyone from the "Banana belt of Alaska".  ;D

I've been looking online at the european riflescopes and with the exception of the Meopta they are all very expensive, even used. Not sure I could justify their prices.. If it was like Brithunter says it is in England where the prices for a zeiss was the same as a leupold then sure give me a zeiss but thats not the case here in America.  :o  I have even been checking used scopes on various forums and used zeiss varables are 2-3 times the price of a leupold.

If I only owned one rifle, but who in america only has one hunting rifle. I have kids & friends scatered all over the USA and leave guns at their houses to simplify travel. When I go for a visit my gun is already there.  ;)

Regards,

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2011, 09:05:14 AM »
I have a new Zeiss.  Very unimpressive.....
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2011, 01:08:42 PM »
I was not looking at the conquest line......

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2011, 02:41:35 PM »
Me either....
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2011, 03:15:14 PM »
So Swampy, which zeiss do you have that is unimpressive.  ;)

Reguards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2011, 10:32:05 AM »
All that I've looked through so far.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2011, 10:48:13 AM »
I've checked out a couple of them too. Wasn't really overly impressed either. :-\  I guess some people get hooked on the name and gotta have one but I can make better use of my money.

Spanky

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2011, 01:25:01 PM »
Come on Swampy, You said you had a new zeiss. Which one do you have?  ;)

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2011, 06:14:30 PM »
I've checked out a couple of them too. Wasn't really overly impressed either

Where they and other truly high-end optics shine is in low light.  If you will be using them in typical American hunting conditions, you can do just fine without spending the substantial premium for high-end optics by Zeiss and others. 

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2011, 02:15:14 AM »
All that I've looked through so far.

We now wait whilst Swampy hunts out a Zeiss catalogue or online to find a model designation to blind us with  ::) .

As for prices well check out the offerings here:-

http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/optical.htm

Note they don't stock new Leupolds and only have one used one listed that i noticed a 6x40.

Here is a  Leupold stockist and their prices:-

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Category/543/riflescopes/?manuf=153

For £95 more one could have a Meopta 7x50 illuminated scope from this place but hre is their leupold offerings:-

http://www.scopesdirect.co.uk/leupold_scopes.asp

More Leupold offerings:-

http://www.donaldson-guns.co.uk/Leupold-Rifle-Scopes.html

Now I just googled Leupold rifle scopes in the UK to find those. The current exchange rate I believe is 1.7 USD to 1GBP so multiply those prices by 1.7 to get the US dollar price and once you recover from the heart attack it's bound to give you your'll realise why I have to buy used.

h and one other point.............................. some folks see better with brand A than brand B which I think is due to different coating techniques and blends suiting their eye better  ;) .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2011, 02:56:44 AM »
ive owned two ziess conquests 3x9s. THere good scopes but not great scopes. Guys get blinded by the name but when you think about it how can a german company make a 400 dollar scope that even comes close to comparing with there 2000 dollar scopes. They have to be cutting corners bigtime. Either that or there 2000 dollar ones are extreamly overpriced. How can they even make a 400 dollar scope in germany that competes with a 400 dollar scope made in japan. It just isnt happening. I got caught up in the have to have a ziess club but when compared to my nikon monarchs or vx3 luepolds they just didnt hold up. a conquest is about equal in optical performance to a vx2 luepold or a nikon buckmaster. Anyone that says there any better then that is just blinded to the ziess name.
blue lives matter

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2011, 06:12:19 AM »
Lloyd,

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Zeiss conquest line was assembled stateside. I have 3 german made zeiss riflescopes that came on my drillings. One is pretty old the other 2 are newer. They have very good glass but good glass or not for me to buy them new is out of the question. The only european scopes I've ever bought new were the IOR brand from Romania, I believe there very nice scopes, a step up from the leupolds but their prices have crept up over the years.

To me at least, it's not just about the quality of the glass but the whole scope package. Leupolds are usually lighter than the german optics and more compact. Most european optics are overbuilt in my opinion. I was looking at a new, used zeiss varable and it weighed 25oz. way to heavy for me to lug around. When a leupold 6x42 is about a pound or slightly less. Perhaps not quite as good a glass but pretty good overall package for $400.00.

While Swampy thinks up his excuses and prepares his response I think I'll investigate the Meopta 6x40s a little more. Thats the only one in my price range at this time beside the Leupolds.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2011, 06:17:23 AM »
Say Brit,

How would you rate the Meopta riflescopes?  ;)

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2011, 02:23:21 PM »
Say Brit,

How would you rate the Meopta riflescopes?  ;)

Regards,

Actually very highly... I have a 7x50A and a 3x Prepov which was meant for the Brno Model 1 or 2 or the ZG47 sporting rifle so it dates for the 1950's or early 60's. The 7x50A has a range estimater based upon the average Roe Buck. I was thinking of getting a 6x40 from a place in the US an shipping it over when the hassle happend here so it's all on hold of course.

Offline tboy

« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2011, 06:52:17 PM »
As for the original question, the Weaver 6x38 is my favorite scope. My 3 most used rifles all wear 6x scopes. I actually keep 4 or 5 of them on the shelf, just in case.

I even put one on my new Kimber .243.

I had a store credit from Optics planet a few years ago. They were closing out the Simmons 6x40 Master series. I took one just for giggles to put on a .22 mag. It now resides on my 7.62x39 Mini Mauser. I've used it for hogs, deer and coyotes, from 20ft. to 200 yards in all conditions. If I'd have known they were this good I would have bought a dozen.

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2011, 06:36:30 AM »
I'll take a fixed every time, within reason, what I mean is 6x and below.  the two deer I killed last year dropped to a $40 bushnell 4x. they were both over a hundred yards which is not long distance by any means but just sayin..

I'd kill for a 6x M8.  I still shoot rifles with the old wire reticle K4 and they still hold zero and get it done.  I have a rebuilt widefield 4x that killed my biggest deer (body and rack) >200 yds on my 7mm-08.

I have a vintage crystal clear redfield 2 3/4x that still hasn't found a rifle to call home.

for variables I do like the the 1.5-4x type on my Marlins.
the 3x9's that I do have end up riding at 6x and never zoomed in or out.

maybe I'm seriously wrong here but I do believe that POI will change at the same distance with a variable at diferent magnification.  not something I want.  I want a dead deer laying on the ground after I shoot.
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2011, 09:00:31 AM »
John.

The older varables would change POI as the magnification increased, but with the newer riflescopes thats not a problem anymore.  ;)  I believe all the current mfg. have the POI change sorted out.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2011, 03:38:38 PM »
Best of my knowledge all of our variables change POI, just a matter of how much and when.
At least according to Jon Sundra.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2011, 03:02:57 AM »
im no expert on it but ive not noticed any point of aim changes at least out to 200 yards or so with a good variable. It might show up if a guy is out to 500 yards and it certainly will show up in a cheap variable. Bottom line is i sight my guns in at about the power level ill be using them for hunting anyway. If its going to be used for crop damage shooting its sighted in at the highest power level and if its going to be for hunting at camp where shots are rarely past a 100 yards i sight it in on the low side. I dont think even a cheap scope is going to be so far off that youd actually miss a kill shot at even 400 yards.
Best of my knowledge all of our variables change POI, just a matter of how much and when.
At least according to Jon Sundra.
blue lives matter

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2011, 05:34:03 AM »
Yes in the article that i read by Sundra he talked about this in much the same way and said that when sighting in for Varmints that it was a possible issue and that even a 1/2 inch or so change at a 100 would translate to missed varmints at 300 to 400 yards. I dont remember exactly word for word but think he said that the front focal plane type of scopes did not change poi.
he even went as far as saying that if he had remembered correctly EVERY scope failure he had seen was a Variable and not a fixed power. True or not I do know that for me Either a fixed 4x or a fixed 6x will do every thing I need a scope to do .

Craig