Author Topic: Home Defense Shotgun  (Read 2866 times)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Home Defense Shotgun
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:45:53 AM »
My choice of home defense shotgun was a former Nebraska State Police shotgun.  The gun came to me lightly used and in desperate need of a good cleaning and oiling up.  It is the Remington 870 Police Magnum with an 18.5" barrel and the +2 mag extension.  It is a smooth bore with a fixed improved cylinder choke...I removed the Speedfeed Stock in favor of the Hogue Overmolded one.  I am a Southpaw and the shell cavern on the right side of the stock would impact my left cheek...The Hogue is much nicer.  I added a Mesa Tactical 4 shell side saddle as well as an XS Big Dot tritium front site.  A CDM Gear flashlight mount holds a Streamlight TLR-1 light up front.

I see some guys putting every whizbang gadget they can on their home defense setup but I prefer to keep it relatively simple (to each his own I always say).  This gun is about as complex as I want it...Especially if I need to grab it out of the closet at O'Dark thirty with the sleep still in my eyes...I need to be able to quickly get it up and running...The light is a necessity.  I want to see what I am pointing that gun at...

I took it to the range at work and it shoots right on target using a 6 o'clock hold which is just what I want.  That is the site picture that I use with my Glock 22 and that is how I train with it.  Putting 00 Buckshot through a shotgun and seeing what it does to a target is impressive...Much more so that putting one measly bullet from my Glock on target.

It took some work but I can move around my house relatively easily now that I have practiced.  That big shotgun is obviously not as easy to move with as my handguns are.  A little more difficult to "slice the pie" with this gun.  Hopefully that is a drill I will never have to utilize.

Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Home Defense Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:11:42 PM »
Looks like you've got that shotty setup just right. I don't like a lot of stuff hanging off a working gun either. Extended mag tube, white light, decent sights, and a sling. That's everything I need on a shotgun. Anything else just seems to get in the way. Nice shotgun!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 06:03:53 PM »
I like simple.

Years ago before Texas' concealed carry laws this is what I took traveling with my young family.  I figured it to be wieldy in a pickup truck and less likely to draw the ire of law enforcement than a pistol.  Besides, back then I couldn't afford a CCW weapon anyhow.  I paid $89 for the barrel and made the pistol grip myself.

It is now set up more like yours with a buttstock, but I don't have a light or extended mag.  If five 3" 00 buck don't get it done I'm up the creek anyhow.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 06:45:13 PM »
I like simple.

Years ago before Texas' concealed carry laws this is what I took traveling with my young family.  I figured it to be wieldy in a pickup truck and less likely to draw the ire of law enforcement than a pistol.  Besides, back then I couldn't afford a CCW weapon anyhow.  I paid $89 for the barrel and made the pistol grip myself.

It is now set up more like yours with a buttstock, but I don't have a light or extended mag.  If five 3" 00 buck don't get it done I'm up the creek anyhow.

Curtis
Curtis, Neat setup! Good job on that pistol grip!!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline muffindrvr

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »
i use a weatherby pa 459 for my home defense shot gun with a glock light.i love it.

Offline Dee

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »
My home defense is my search warrant, and SWAT entry weapon before I retired. It is a black parkerized, Remington Model 1100 with heavier springs, a 20" barrel, rifle sights, screw in modified choke, with true glow front, and magazine extension. I at one time had a six round side-saddle on the receiver, but it only added weight, and bulk. If it ain't over in 7 rounds it's time to turn the house over to the intruder. After I've emptied the 870 too. ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 07:13:07 PM »
My home defense is my search warrant, and SWAT entry weapon before I retired. It is a black parkerized, Remington Model 1100 with heavier springs, a 20" barrel, rifle sights, screw in modified choke, with true glow front, and magazine extension. I at one time had a six round side-saddle on the receiver, but it only added weight, and bulk. If it ain't over in 7 rounds it's time to turn the house over to the intruder. After I've emptied the 870 too. ;)
Dee,
Got any photographs of that setup??
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 12:33:42 AM »

Sounds allot like mine!  Only mine is a 870, not the auto..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dee

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 02:52:09 AM »
Dee,
Got any photographs of that setup??

I will take some when I get back from Florida, and post them here. It's pretty basic, and looks a lot like WNY's rig, only AUTO, and sans the side-saddle shell holder. I, in the old days, and still, prefer a leather cartridge belt with the buckle in the back, and the 25 rounds in front in loops. Faster than the side saddle in every way, and less bulky, but only if I leave the house. If I'm inside, I doubt I'd need it. There isn't much in a house to hide behind if I'm after you with #4 buck magnums.
I see many that mount lights, but I instead chose to install night lights with shields in strategic locations, where the intruder will be facing the lights, and I have shadows. Outside, I have installed street lights on my out buildings I bought from Lowes. They are cheap to buy (about $40.00), last for years and years, and the neon bulbs put out a good, but not harsh light. This is one of the best determent's for intruders. Even the Bible says most evil hides in the dark.

You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 06:43:59 AM »
I just wanted to throw in a photo of my home defense shotgun. I I've won many a 3 guns competitions with it to boot. It's a FN SLP mark1 , fn tri rail mag ube and a 8 shot sure shot side saddle from mesa tactical. ( I dn't use the red dot any more since i has proved unreliable.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:12:34 AM »
WNY, nice gun . If It were mine I would add a piece of white elec tape to the muzzle end of the bbl. It will aid in finding the muzzle in low light when shooting from other than shoulder. Some say tie a rag to it. Mine is a police mag. 870 with rifle sights and screw in mod choke. Thinking about a light but none yet.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »
Cw and simplicity,
Those are some neat looking setups! I have an old Rem mod 1100 in 12 ga that I think I will setup for home defense . I bought it in 1967 and it has been a real meat getter throughout the years!!
Looking forward to seeing Dee`s setup!
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 03:35:27 AM »
Streak take a look at the remington 1100 tac2 and tac 4. They are the tactical/3 gun versions of the 1100, they still use a vent rib barrel so it really wouldn'ttake away from the game getting.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 10:49:57 AM »
All this talk about a TAC shotgun has me thinking....I looked at the Rem1100 TAC4...very nice and heavy and awkward and heavy and pricey for me.  Every now and again I have a hanker'n for a semi auto tac shotgun.  I'd prefer a 20GA but the 12's are available.  I own an Ithaca deerslayer, but it kicks like a mule...and...I'd just like to buy another gun.

Any opinions on mossberg 930's either the home security or the SPX in 12GA or the SA-20 Tactical???
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 11:35:06 AM »
Well out of the three 930 spx's I've seen at my rane only one came through with no problems. All three who bought them were guys who saw me winning 3-gun shotgun stages with my SLP. The one's who has run good is a fellow 3-gunner, the two that had problems had troubles cycling, another problem I've noticed with them is they tend to weld the high front sight off to the left and mossberg hasn't been known for great customer service. My advice after playing with quite a few of them is spend the bit extra and go for a FN SLP same price as a 1100 tac2 or 4 and yo just hve to change a gas piston (which the gun comes with two of them) to shoot turkey loads if desired rather then haveing to get another barrel like you'd need  to with a 1100. The is one good thing about the 930 though is that it like th SLP and Benneli's it will ghost load or aka carry a extra round on the flipper.

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 06:16:20 PM »
Streak take a look at the remington 1100 tac2 and tac 4. They are the tactical/3 gun versions of the 1100, they still use a vent rib barrel so it really wouldn'ttake away from the game getting.

Thanks!
Will check these out!!
NRA Life time Member
Gun Owners of America

Offline muffindrvr

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 03:21:03 PM »
i also just got my saiga 12 with a 20 rd drum.just another toy to add to the arsenal....