Author Topic: Hardness testing  (Read 556 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Hardness testing
« on: June 02, 2011, 07:54:28 AM »
My new Lee hardness tester was waiting for me when I got home and I immediately ran to my man cave for a 'speriment!   ;D

First, my ingots of WW's sweetened with a little 95/5 solder came in at 9 BHN.  Right where the charts I have read said they should be!

Next up was a bullet cast from the aforementioned ingots and quenched in water.  It tested out at just a hair over 14 BHN!

So I learned that my tests confirm, in a general sense, what I have read and heard.  I also figure that once I know the BHN I can make a SWAG as to the makeup of an alloy using an alloy/BHN chart.  Whatever, I'm having fun!   ;D

That scope is real hard to use though...  :-\  I think I'll make a stand for it like I've seen people do on other forums.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Hardness testing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:13:52 AM »
I have been "toying" with getting a tester from Veral.  Pricey but stipulated as reliable and easy to use.  I too would like to know where my 50/50 Pb-WW ingots and air cooled boolits lie on the BHN scale. 

So far, cast alloy boolits, powder charge, and lube are shooting well and without leading in my formerly dang-quick-to-lead Ruger Blackhawk Convertable 45 ACP/Colt with Ruger-hot hand loads.  It used to spit lead shaving back in my face.  REAL scary.  Now it is a pussy-cat by comparison spitting red hot lead down range - only and without leading the barrel to a smooth bore after a dozen rounds!!!  I like that and am having FUN FUN FUN!

Offline kbstenberg

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »
  I also was interested in testing my ingots. But I was told on CB that because of the larger size of the ingots. The relation of the 2 BHN's would not be the same. I do not know for sure, just what I was told.  Kevin

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 01:50:20 AM »
ive used them all and the one cabin tree makes has been my choise for the best. It does well at testing ingots too.  http://castingstuff.com/
blue lives matter

Offline Bob J

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 02:11:40 AM »
Another vote for the cabine tree hardness tester....  Tried several others (including the lee) and couldn't get consistent readings....  No problem at all with the cabine tree....