Author Topic: Scope recomendations for 25-06 sporter. thoughts please.  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Eugene

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope recomendations for 25-06 sporter. thoughts please.
« on: June 05, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »
Hi all,

I went away for a 3 day hunt this last weekend, I took my CMC (howa) 25-06 sporter and my Remington 7615 223 pump action, the 25-06 has had the same scope for 20 years, a tasco 4-16x40 high country adjustable objective scope, I had always been happy with it as I had not owned any high end optics until I bought my Tricicons.

After 20 years of being happy with this scope, but using less and less due to liking the little pump gun, I thought I would use the 25-06 for the weekend, but I was unable to use the scope, my eyes are getting worse, but I just could not see through the scope, it was like looking through a dirty window, I could not get a focus, friend who was with me struggled but said it was OK.

We spotted a mob of pigs on a far hillside, approx 1000meters away, I could see them naked eye (eye glasses only) but could not see them through the scope, not even a blur, I got the trijicon equiped Remington out, bingo, clear as a bell, could even see suckers no bigger than a cat running around, super clear, bright, just fantastic.

Now my question. I want to (have to) re-scope this rifle, I dont use it alot, but it is accurate enough to shoot bunnies at 300meters with hand loads, my dilema, I want a 30mm scope, say 2.5-10 with iluminated rectile, as my poor eyes just love the glowing chevron in the acog. but my budget at the moment doenst stretch to a trijicon accupoint.

Should I wait and get the accupoint ($850) or is there something else out there that will fit my bill. I have a few other big purchases on the go so budget is not like it would normaly be.

to go to the 30mm also means new mounts/rings etc, so more cost.

are any of the cheaper (redfield for example) worth looking at ?

I really want the Accupoint, I know I should wait, but I have new scope fever.

Please help?

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Scope recomendations for 25-06 sporter. thoughts please.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »
First of all you need a scope that will do that rifle and cartridge justice.  a good variable with 15 to 16 top end, like you already have. 

I have several scopes where you adjust parallax by dialing the front of the scope.  I have decided I don't like that.  If I am going to have a parallax adjustment I want it on the left side of the scope, so I can dial while I am looking through the scope.  Yet other people like dialing the front objective lens.  I'll throw some out that I think might be what you are looking for.

Bushnell Elite 3200  4-16X40  With the DOA reticle.    Dial-able Objective     I like the clarity of the Bushnell Elites.
Nikon Monarch        4-16X42 BDC reticle                   Side Focus Parallax    (My son just put this scope on his Savage 30-06)
Leupold Mark4        4.5-14X50  Illuminated reticle     Side Focus Parallax     Real Spendy.

There are many others out there that will fill your need.  Just get out and look 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 02:34:29 AM »
first thing to do is dump the 30mm thinking. the only thing you gain is maybe a bit more windage and elevation ajustment. then i will recomend you dump the lighted reticle. I like them on a combat scope but there not needed on a hunting optic. Buy good glass and you will see your crosshairs fine in any legal hunting light. If it were me and i was on a buget id look at a 3x9x40 as there usually a bit cheaper then anything else. If you dont go over 9x you dont need an ajustable objective as most focusing problems to show until your up around 10x. For specific models id look at the nikon monarch and the vx2 leupold. theres other good ones but i know these are good scopes and the companys will back them up properly. If there still out of your buget look at the vortex line. They seem to be real good scopes and there a great company too. I wouldnt go any cheaper on a nikon or leupold though as there bottem line scopes just dont impress me. You should be able to find a monarch or vx2 for around 300 bucks if you shop around. Just keep in mind that your ALLWAYS better off to pay for glass quality then for novelty things like lighted reticles and ajustable objectives or even higher power.
blue lives matter

Offline parkergunshop

• Contributor
  • Retired Computer Tech, Gunsmithing as a hobby
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 02:58:57 AM »
Eugene, take Lloyd's advise.

The new fads, 30 M/M tubes, 50 MM front objectives and fancy reticules, A/O's are costly and don't add enough to the performance to make a difference for most of us.

The big oversized tubes cause problems with the selection of scope rings and mounts and bolt handle clearance in some cases.   In some cases you have to move to medium or high rings and even super high on heavy barrel rifles when using the 50 M/M objectives.

I have had lens replacements in both eyes due to cataracts, but still use my old Lyman All American scopes in 3X and 4X with a cross hair and post.

From my viewpoint nothing beats the cross hair and post combination for hunting use.    Keep it simple reduces cost, likelyhood of problems later on.
U.S. Airforce 1961-1967
Lackland AFB,  Sheppard AFB, Texas
Homestead AFB FLorida, 1962-63 Cuban Crisis
Loring AFB, Maine 1963-1964
AFTAC Alexandria, VA 1965-1967
Air Force Competition Rife Team
NRA Endowment Life Member
National Benchrest Rifle Shooters Association

Freedom is not cheap in any sense of the word.  Only those willing to fight for it will have it in the long run.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 03:02:40 AM »
For hunting I use the 3.5 to 10 Vari-X III Leupold on the 25-06. It will do anything you need doing, and is high quality.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 03:32:45 AM »
I have a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40mm scope on my Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 338-06 A-Square and its the best scope I own and worth every penny.

I recommend a Leupold VX-II or VX-3 with a 40mm objective for your 25-06 Remington, 50mm objective is OK if you like, but stay away from 30mm tubes as suggested.

yooper77

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 03:36:02 AM »
It's a little different than what you asked for but I chose the Leupold VXL 4.5x14 for my 6.5-06. It has a strange front rectical that permits the use of a large rectical and low mount rings. This is my multi use distance rifle.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:51:51 AM »
I would not be a good person to advise you on what to get and what to avoid because I have made a habbit of purchasing Leupold variable scopes for 40 years.  I still have two old 3X9's made in the 70's but most of my scopes were made in the 90's or later when I was acquiring more deer rifles.  Now I'm age 64 and still enjoy reading about new products, but I wonder how much of the new stuff is any better.  I have some 50mm scopes, and one LPS with a 30mm tube but the rest of my scopes are one inch tubes and 40mm objectives.  They serve me fine.  I can shoot until well after legal shooting hours and do not need a lighted model.  I rarely shoot beyond 300 yds and don't need a range finder.  I wold never adjust a scope while in the field so I don't need those features.  I don't wan't any mild dot recticle to ponder.  If you ride a horse, select a scope that will fit nicely in a scabbord without putting it in a bind.  I don't often ride.  I mostly hunt from elevated box stands.

I think hunters should seek the best glass they can find, in a magnification range that is appropriate for the way they hunt.  If you do this, you can eliminate your scope shopping worries.  Forget all the new scope names that show us in discount magazines.  Stick with a few well respected brands with solid product lines and lifetime warranties.  That's my advice.

Offline Eugene

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 01:39:13 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for all of the replies, it is like you guys have all read my mind, I have been thinking alot about this over the past few days and Illum rectile and 30mm tube were both there to try and increase hunting time due to my poor eyes, but if I drop them, buy better Glass/optics, then I will see the increase without needing all the other crap.

I dont use high power setting very often, more to spot game across a wide gully to pick if it worthwhile of a stalk than to shoot, so 10x would be kmore than enough magnification.

I use either 90gr or 120gr projectiles at near max loads, I shoot a 200 meter zero, which gives me 40-50mm high at 100meters and 65 low at 300, so I dont need balistic dots, I just hold on and shoot, they all drop when hit.

So it looks like a VXIII 3.5-10 will do all I need, not break the bank, and be a scope my sons can use when I am worm food.

Thanks guys, I will let you know how I go, any tips on where to buy one online at a reasonable price would be great.

Offline DannoBoone

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 02:26:03 PM »
I usually find the best scope buys at Graf & Sons or Natchez:

http://www.grafs.com/

http://www.natchezss.com/index.cfm

My .25-06 sports a Bushnell 4200 AO 6-24x40 mildot. Granted, the higher magnification
is not needed for hunting, but certainly comes in handy for load work-up on paper. The
glass is superb, but it is 10 years old and I do not know the quality of them now.
We need to change our politicians
like we do dirty diapers.............
for the same reason.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 02:48:53 AM »
a good 3x9 is plenty of scope for a 2506 unless your using it for varmit hunting too. If you go to a more powerful scope theres a big jump in price usually at that point for most manufactures. My #1 2506 wears a vx2 3x9 luepold and ive shoot groups just over an inch at 300 yards with it. My remington wears a older varix2 3x9. Its only capable of about 3.5 inch groups at 300 yards but that rifle has been with me for years and has taken at least 10 deer at around 400 yards and i never once thought after the shot that i needed more magnification. If your plans call for you to shoot real small animals or deer out past 400 yards maybe a 4x12 would serve you better but most rifleman are out of there class at ranges like that and dopeing wind and accurately figureing range are more important that how powerful your scope is.
blue lives matter

Offline one eye joe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 10:13:17 AM »
I ran a Leupold Vari X-II on my .25-06 for many years and never felt underscoped.  You might call Cameraland and check out their prices on Zeiss and Minox 3-9 scopes. Also the Vortex Viper I believe is on sale for under $200. Any of these should give you all the optic quality you want.

Offline 2ndtimer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 08:29:38 PM »
I agree with most of the previous posts.  Get the best glass you can afford and I certainly prefer quality to "bells and whistles" like 30 mm tubes and lighted reticles.   The one area the other posters didn't really address was the more affordable scope segment.  The fact that you got along fine for years with a Tasco 4-16X suggests that you might get along just fine with a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14X scope.  It has a 1 inch tube, 40 mm objective and side focus.  I really like mine and it has given good service on a .243 Win for deer and varmints at longer ranges.  Natchez has them for about $300 plus shipping.  If you are using your 25-06 mostly for big game, and can make do with a 3-9X scope, then the Leupold VX-2 is a really good option for the same $300 with free shipping from Natchez.  If your budget is a little tighter, I would take a long look at the Redfield Revolution 4-12X.  I just picked up a couple of them and haven't mounted them yet.  But for around $210 to $220 it offers decent glass and Leupold lifetime warranty.  It doesn't have an adjustable objective but is a nice, lightweight scope that offers more magnification than a 3-9X.  Of course, there are better scopes, if your budget allows, but these are some pretty decent ones for the budget conscious shooter.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 01:37:47 PM »
I've got a Leupold VX-II 3x9x40mm with the post & duplex reticle.  The reticle is bold enough for my 57 year old eye to use well in any legal hunting light and the 3x9 is more than clear enough to for my use. If you want one of the brightest and clearest scopes made in the US the Leupold FX-III 6x42mm with the heavy duplex is a dandy. 
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 07:30:56 PM »
I can't add anything about the high end scopes, but in defense of the lighted reticle.... you mentioned hog hunting, some states allow night hunting for hogs. When I went to TX last winter we sat in the blind and watched several hours in the dark ready with a light set up, a black pig in the med dark with black cross hairs could be hard to see cross hair placement. So that would be one place I would have liked to have an adjustable lit up cross hair (that doesn't bleach out the target behind the cross hair). For legal night hunting.
thejanitor