Author Topic: holster issue  (Read 919 times)

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
holster issue
« on: June 06, 2011, 12:45:01 PM »
Hi,

The bold font text below is copied from an email I received today from the NW Ohio Action Shooters (IDPA) regarding problems during meets with a particular holster.  Moderator, if this should be in a different forum please move. 

Thanks

BB

Hello All,

Well the season is finely here, and the rain hopefully will stay away from all the match dates.

One thing I want to Pass on to all of you and Pass this on to your SO's and Match Staff, a couple of weeks ago in Florida a shooter had an AD and the round, luckily just skimmed his leg without any serious damage to his leg, this has accrued 3 times within the last 18 months down in Florida, I don't know all the particulars on the other two but a good friend of mine was SOing this shooter when it happened on this occasion.

Twice last year here in Ohio, we had this happen with out any injury, but after hearing what holster was being used I figured I would past this along.

The Safariland Serpa, Please take the time and remind the shooters that use this holster to be careful drawing and re holstering when using this type.

I think this is a great holster to have and use, but possibly somehow that finger is going rite to the trigger after releasing the catch, (my opinion).
Bad gun handling skills on the shooters part most certainly, but a problem when the timer goes "Beep" regardless.

I didn't here of the experience level of the shooter's, either way this can become an issue, Please remind your Staff to be on the look out, and Please remind the shooters to be extra cognisant when they are using this holster.

As Always, If you need anything give me a call.

Joe Buchanan   
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: holster issue
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »
I've heard these rumors of NDs with the Blackhawk "Serpa" holsters. Still haven't been able to verify any of them.  I have a couple of these holsters. It's hard for me to visualize how these alleged incidents happen.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 02:35:51 PM »
Trigger happy?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:11:54 PM »
This is how it's happening.  Instead of using their trigger finger FLAT and pushing the release button, they are using their trigger finger hooked (just like they were pulling the trigger) and punching the button.  As the gun comes up out of the holster, the hooked and stressed trigger finger goes right into the trigger guard and hits the trigger.  If their finger was flat when pushing the button, it will end up flat against the frame of the pistol.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 02:30:31 AM »
This is how it's happening.  Instead of using their trigger finger FLAT and pushing the release button, they are using their trigger finger hooked (just like they were pulling the trigger) and punching the button.  As the gun comes up out of the holster, the hooked and stressed trigger finger goes right into the trigger guard and hits the trigger.  If their finger was flat when pushing the button, it will end up flat against the frame of the pistol.

LocnLod,

This is almost verbatum what one of the IDPA fellows emailed to me last night.  Basically a case of operator error.

Savage,

The original email was corrected, it is the Blackhawk holster.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 04:36:01 AM »
Yeah, that's what I heard as well. Guess it proves there's no way to idiot proof anything. I have tried to replicate such a draw with my holsters without success. (Unloaded Gun) Those I have are for Glocks and 1911s. The safety is still on as the 1911 clears the holster, so one would have to disengage the safety in the holster to successfully have an ND. With the Glocks, the long pull would seem to take a conscious effort to pull that trigger through on the draw. Does anyone have any verifiable occurrences that can be referenced?  I'd like to understand more about these alleged events.
Savage

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:24:57 AM »
Savage, this should be good verification for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 09:05:39 AM »
Savage, this should be good verification for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

Looks like another factor was introduced into the equation. Specifically the thumb release holster. It's tough going back and forth with different types of retention holsters. Glad the guy's ok. Thanks for the video.
Savage

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 09:17:08 AM »
Yes, there definitely is nothing wrong with the holsters.  Operators who don't practice adequately, who don't KISS, and who don't respect their firearms sufficiently are the cause.