Author Topic: Drew a cow tag  (Read 662 times)

Offline chewie146

• Trade Count: (0)
Drew a cow tag
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:53:55 AM »
Well, it looks like I'll be hunting cow elk this year after all.  The first choice was a bull tag, but I drew out for 6A in NM for antlerless.  The good news is that my friend, who never has hunted big game before, put in with me.  We should be able to get something, I would think.  Most of the elk will be slow and wheezing from all the Arizona smoke.

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
Re: Drew a cow tag
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 09:54:54 AM »
If NM 6A is next to Arizona Units 1/27,and the fire blows your way,you might be toast. All the elk and deer hunter's who got 1/27 maybe sol. A few years back,when we lost all that country to the Rodeo/Chediski fire, the forest service closed a lot of the areas due to the dangers of burnt trees falling.Lots of hunter confined to a small area,and the wildlife that left during the fire had not migrated back yet.Might be a dismal season for those so picked.

Offline chewie146

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Drew a cow tag
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:01:20 PM »
6A butts up against the Valles Caldera.  It's a decent unit with good numbers.  I'm a good 4 hours away from the arizona border, give or take.  I hope those fires are controlled soon.  Living in Los Alamos, I know what it's like to have fire that close.