Author Topic: Homemade snake charmer  (Read 3062 times)

Offline handishooter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Homemade snake charmer
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:23:43 PM »
Thought I would share this, have too many handies and free time. It has an 18.25 inch 12 ga barrel and is 27 inches overall not including the butt pad, so there are no legal issues. Does kick a little but it does the job, will use it around the camp at the hunting lease.

Handi family   10mm, 44mag, 6.5 x53r , 25/20, 7.62x54r, 50/70, 45/70, .32 s&w long

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Homemade snake charmer
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 04:23:18 PM »
I use my shorty all the time on snakes.  It cuts them in 2 with low brass 8's.  I also use it on hogs, and mice. 

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 05:21:32 PM »
Why'd you cut the stock off like that? How do you shoulder it to fire?

Spanky

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 02:23:05 PM »
Why'd you cut the stock off like that? How do you shoulder it to fire?

Spanky

Maybe he has short arms?

Offline handishooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 12:28:11 PM »
Cut the stock down so it is easier to carry in the ATV. Still shoulders well but most shots are from the hip, a lot of fun to shoot. Does the job on snakes.
Handi family   10mm, 44mag, 6.5 x53r , 25/20, 7.62x54r, 50/70, 45/70, .32 s&w long

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
Cut the stock down so it is easier to carry in the ATV. Still shoulders well but most shots are from the hip, a lot of fun to shoot. Does the job on snakes.

Makes sense. I've got a couple shorty shotguns for the atv too.  :D

Spanky

Offline handishooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 05:57:33 AM »
Its also fun to shoot from the hip that way

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 06:26:28 AM »
Cut the stock down so it is easier to carry in the ATV.

ME TOO!!! ;)

I have a couple shorties. I made another just for the ATV! VERY similar to yours HS!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 06:32:10 AM »
After I got done with my shorty I didn't want to scratch it up on the ATV.  Now it rides in a scabbard in my jeep or boat.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 07:11:51 AM »
After I got done with my shorty I didn't want to scratch it up on the ATV.  Now it rides in a scabbard in my jeep or boat.

LOL.... That's why I used a Handi and not a Dbl!!!  Lol
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 02:31:22 PM »
Nicely done...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline atfan

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »
Nice! reminds me of the Kimel camper.....

there's one on GB for 225.00-tempting.....

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 02:26:35 PM »
Why would anyone kill a snake unless they were very hungry?
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 09:23:13 PM »
Why not?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 03:04:55 AM »
Why not?

Because you haven't had any like this around the livestock...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 03:19:40 AM »
Snakes serve a purpose...We were raised not to kill something unless you're going to eat it.  80+ percent of those bitten are bitten while trying to kill the snake.  Leave them alone, and they will do likewise.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 03:42:38 AM »
An old guy I used to hunt with as a kid would say " shoot what you will, but eat what you kill". If I had poisonous snakes around my place I might feel differently though. I do like a nice shorty though.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 08:14:58 AM »
I leave snakes alone and they leave me alone... seems to work out alright.

Spanky

Offline TxGun

• Avid Poster
  • Retired
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 11:50:08 AM »
Long-time hunter and love hunting, but I never kill anything just to kill it...including snakes. I outgrew that juvenile behavior long ago. That said, if I saw a poisonous snake real close to the house...yes, I'd probably kill it for safety's sake.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 01:33:36 PM »
Long-time hunter and love hunting, but I never kill anything just to kill it...including snakes. I outgrew that juvenile behavior long ago. That said, if I saw a poisonous snake real close to the house...yes, I'd probably kill it for safety's sake.
Juvenile.....  :o ::)  As a general rule, I agree with you guys and don't take this statement wrongly... You obviously don't any own livestock... Or what about young children. They certainly don't know to stay clear either... (Remember Adam and Eve don't ya.. you don't trust a snake.)
 You and I can easily steer clear of the snake, Scorpion, Spider or other poisonous critter. Not the case when a poisonous snake slithers into the stall with your horses or climbs into the kids sand box... :-[
 Now a Milk, Black or Hog nose of other small critter eatin' snake gets my respect. Not a Diamond back, Water Moccasin or Copper head, that's found close to the house or outbuilding. That one takes a dirt nap!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 06:08:07 PM »
If I had to kill one to protect my family, myself, livestock, etc. I would do it but I wouldn't kill one for no good reason.

I've seen them "snake roundups" on television and I don't get it... the guys go out and catch a bunch of snakes and kill them for sport or to make money from them. That just doesn't make sense to me. :-\

Spanky

Offline goldhound56

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 01:45:35 PM »
What state did that snake come from ?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 03:17:04 PM »
What state did that snake come from ?

My pic was from Texas.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline handishooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
CW- I live and hunt in Texas our lease is getting over run with  snakes and hogs, was up at the lease last weekend and in 2 days counted 15 rattlesnakes, none were in the camp but there were 2 copper heads in the camp.  Last year one of the dogs was bitten by a copperhead, didnt kill it but sure made it look funny for awhile.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 07:29:04 AM »
Since hogs eat snakes it seems like they are at the food source, or, the eternal question......which came first, the snakes or the hogs?
Im thinkin' with 'em that thick I would be eatin' some snake for dinner, after my hog bacon b-fast.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 08:07:44 AM »
Cw,
How long was that diamondback?Looked to be about 8.5 ft. to me. Last time I saw any that size, I was heading down to Nuevo Laredo from Houston early ,early in the morning and was passing just on the outskirts of Freer,Texas and there were rattlers that size stretched across the highway absorbing the heat from the highway. Of course most were already dead from the traffic.
You are right about taking these out of circulation around areas where small children and expensive livestock frequent! When I was growing up in N.W. Louisiana we always tried to encourage king snakes to stay around the property beacause they are deadly on rattlers and copperheads! I saw one take on a rattler and that was quite an experience to see. The rattler was biteing the king snake but the king snake had already gotten several coils around the rattler and you could here a slight crunch as the coils tightened and the rattler`s head just went backwards with it`s mouth wide opened and that was it. I left and came back by the same spot a few minutes later and the king snake was in the process of swallowing the rattler!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 01:50:43 PM »
Since hogs eat snakes it seems like they are at the food source, or, the eternal question......which came first, the snakes or the hogs?
Im thinkin' with 'em that thick I would be eatin' some snake for dinner, after my hog bacon b-fast.

You sir, are absolutely correct.

It's been my experience of having hunted south Texas for over 50 years that when you have a high hog population the snake population is kept pretty much in check.

Hogs will eat anything, and snakes are a delicacy to a hog.   

Don't get me wrong, they won't wipe out a snake population by any means, but they will sure put a dent in the population, but any time you are in snake country you should always be alert because they can show up usually when you least expect them, or drop your guard.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 02:20:06 PM »
Sounds like Washington DC alright......
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2011, 03:08:34 AM »
Cw,
How long was that diamondback?Looked to be about 8.5 ft. to me. Last time I saw any that size, I was heading down to Nuevo Laredo from Houston early ,early in the morning and was passing just on the outskirts of Freer,Texas and there were rattlers that size stretched across the highway absorbing the heat from the highway. Of course most were already dead from the traffic.

Sorry for the delayed response, I have been away from Internet... Northern Maine, relaxing. ;)

IIRC it was just over 9'.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Andrew Quigley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 09:48:34 AM »
Strange I just happened upon this post. Was talking with some guys at work about a 410 tamer and got me to thinking about cutting down a 12ga. Then here's one just like I had in mind. ;D
Andrew

"Lost!!  Ain't never been lost. Fearsum confused for 2 or 3 months but never lost!!"