Author Topic: 36 pounds caronade test.  (Read 715 times)

Offline oyvind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
36 pounds caronade test.
« on: June 10, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »
36 pounds caronade test.
2,5kg powder.

Not a valid youtube URL

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: 36 pounds caronade test.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
Such formal fun!

Did they hit the target?   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 10:51:22 AM »
I think I'd want a longer linstock! :o
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:56:50 AM »
I think only in our sport do you get to hear so often grown men giggling like little kids...   :)  :D  ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 12:16:51 PM »
Yep we giggle the same in any language.  ;D

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
     Thank you Oyvind!!  I think that has become my favorite movie clip of a cannon firing a blank.  Mike and I never fire blanks so we don't really understand why people would want to, until we saw this flick.  I mean, if you are going to fire a blank, well...................FIRE A BLANK!!!..

These guys are very smartly dressed for the occasion too.  They look quite formal and we are assuming they have a really nice luncheon in a wicker basket up in the woods, probably some wine, cheeze and other good food.  They probably brought a cork screw which is just what the gunner will need to get his ear plugs out of his skull after they were driven way, way down the ear canal by that BLAST!!.

Tracy & Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline keith44

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 04:40:53 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

still giggling and I wasn't even there
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 11:22:52 AM »
Simply mere opinion here, but I don't see this one as the laughter of grown men expressing their joy at witnessing "the big boom" in person. I think this would fit better under the heading of nervous laughter meant to relieve tension caused by the unexpected loudness and violent movement of a carronade they hadn't fired before. :)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 11:39:54 AM »
That Gentleman is why bigger is better ;D

Offline oltom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 12:04:56 PM »
I Know i laugh when out shooting mine....and i don't know why???!!!!!

makes me wonder, in battle, do the cannoneers all giggle as they are shooting???????????????? ???
"MORE booze!"

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 12:39:44 PM »
I'm going to make the guess that two opposing artillery batteries that were engaged in a duel to see who could destroy the other battery first, would in all probability not be laughing uproariously during the contest. ;)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 01:58:49 PM »
Thats the best report I have heard on here, How much powder is that in USA weight. Good job. Thanks.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 02:39:31 PM »
About 60 ounces...3 3/4 pounds.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 04:26:34 PM »
About 60 ounces...3 3/4 pounds.

I had missed the weight given in the original post, so I asked How much powder and what granulation? on the Youtube page.  I got this answer:

2,5 kg (0,3-2 mm) and 2kg of flour. cannon is 1000kg rekyl 0,83 meter

That would be around 5 1/2 pounds of powder behind a (roughly) 4 1/2 pound "projectile."
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 06:51:04 PM »
That would be around 5 1/2 pounds of powder behind a (roughly) 4 1/2 pound "projectile."

Hmmm.  As my step-dad would say, a stick of dynomite behind a phonograph needle.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 02:25:34 AM »
I used google to translate from the Norwegian (?) yesterday, and this is what I got.

"Skyting med 36 pounds karronade med løst krutt og 1/6 ladning for å demonstrere karronadens "uregjerlige rekyl".
Når man ser rekylen her på vått gress, kan man lett tenke seg hvorfor den ikke var poulær blandt mannskapene for 200 år siden, med kule på 18 kilo og nesten 10 kg. krutt.
Navnet karronade kommer av at den ble laget i den skotske byen Carron. Denne eies av marinemuseet og bemannes av "Kystens Voktere". Resten av helgen ble det skutt med litt mindre ladninger for publikum til sto jubel.
Den var da med i "linje" med 3 mindre kanoner og en "fotmorter"."

"Shooting with 36 pounds karronade with loose powder and 1 / 6 charge to demonstrate karronadens "unruly recoil.
 When one looks recoil here in the wet grass, one can easily imagine why it was not poulær among the crews of 200 years ago, with the ball at 18 pounds and almost 10 kg. gunpowder.
 Karronade name is because it was made ​​in the Scottish town of Carron. This is owned by the Marine Museum and staffed by "Coast Keepers. " The rest of the weekend was shot with a little less charges for the audience was cheering.
It was in "line"with 3 smaller cannons and a "fotmorter"."

The answer to Joe's question was: 2,5 kg (0,3-2 mm) and 2kg of flour. cannon is 1000kg rekyl 0,83 meter; so they're saying they loaded over 5.5 lbs in around a 2,204 lb carronade, and it recoiled about 3 ft. Now in what was originally posted it is said that this is a 36-pounder carronade, and it was fired using a one sixth charge. Well, I'd say that over 5½ lbs of powder has got to be about a full charge for that carronade; a full charge for a 32-pdr long gun in the early 1800's was just something over 10 lbs. 

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 03:51:28 AM »
I think we can see why they called caronnades murderers.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 04:02:24 AM »
I think we can see why they called caronnades murderers.

I thought swivil guns were murderers.  And caronnades were smashers.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 05:17:32 AM »
I have seen them called both.   They would load the  carronnades with canister when up close to clear an apposing ships decks.

There is also a multiple barreled rifle that is called a murderer, Sgt Harper in the Sharpe's rifles series carries one.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 05:52:45 AM »
I have seen them called both.   They would load the  carronnades with canister when up close to clear an apposing ships decks.

There is also a multiple barreled rifle that is called a murderer, Sgt Harper in the Sharpe's rifles series carries one.

Seven barrel, .50 caliber rifle.  Sgt. Harper is one of my heroes. ;D  I've read every book in the series twice.  They never get old.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 07:47:05 AM »

Seven barrel, .50 caliber rifle.  Sgt. Harper is one of my heroes. ;D  I've read every book in the series twice.  They never get old.
Zulu

Katherine wasn't a big fan of war movies.  I was loaned the complete series of Sharpes movies-TV Shows. She watched the first one with me and then every evening for the days following until we viewed the entire series, she would make some popcorn and say put on the Sharpe's movie!...lots of cannons but no carronades...

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 09:08:41 AM »
I don't understand why they think the recoil of the carronade is extreme ("one can easily imagine why it was not poulær among the crews of 200 years ago, with the ball at 18 pounds and almost 10 kg. gunpowder.") First of all, I think their estimated 10 kg load for an 18-pdr carronade is way over the top, and secondly, in my opinion this vid demonstrates just how much a lower pivot point (under-barrel lug) on a tube reduces the rearward momentum of recoil. Can you imagine how far that barrel and platform would have moved back if it had been a gunade with the trunnions placed on the bore axis? 

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 09:48:14 AM »
A few hours ago I asked:

@OddRekyl - Is that tube machined from steel, or cast iron with a steel liner?

Er det tube bearbeidet av stål, eller støpejern med stål liner?

(I hope I guessed the language correctly, and that Google Translate did a good job)

And got this answer:

The cannon is original and 200 years old, cast iron all the way.

(Google translate made a funny translation :-)

Moore questions, e-mail to odd@ulleberg.net

Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 11:17:04 AM »
Holey moly, those are some adventurous guys; I don't know that I'd do that myself. If you remember, Squire Robin did the same with his original iron gunade.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2011, 11:30:31 AM »
Holy moly, those are some adventurous guys; ...

I think that is why most of them were hiding in the bushes when the shot was fired.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill