Author Topic: plans or ideas for a shooting platform  (Read 1373 times)

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
plans or ideas for a shooting platform
« on: June 11, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »
I am trying to decide on how to make a shooting platform for my "Ironsides" mini cannon.  I tried the search engine and could not get any matches to my searches.   ???  I've looked at the platforms in the pic's of the how to aim a cannon without sights, but other than the really simple board model on what looks like short round stock can't really see how they're made, or how to control the recoil.  Does anyone have any links to any good sights or pages that would show details on the shooting platforms like those used in the south africa shooting clubs??
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline subdjoe

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: plans or ideas for a shooting platform
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »
Check some of the ones on this page:  http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22naval%20gunnery%22

If that doesn't work, try searching "naval ordnance" or even just "ordnance."  Something there should have drawings.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 06:17:13 PM »
You gotta use a little imagination.

Here is the one form ay Cairo  42 PDR.  A couple of 4" x 4"s with 1" x 6" for decking.

Here is a link to post on the SAMCC platforms,  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,129083.msg1098470994.html#msg1098470994

Here is a long Thread on shooting the SAMCC cannon,  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,187056.0.html

Then there are  these pictures.

Any questions, be glad to answer.

Offline keith44

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »
Thanks DD that last pic answered the recoil control question.  I've got a few pieces of 2x10 and some 2x4's that can be used for the project.  July 4 is coming and I got stalled trying to figure out how to protect the axles from taking a beating during recoil
Life member NRA

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »
I'll post a pix of Allen's adjustable stand soon - it accomodates being able to sit/stand nearby and fire a fixed cannon and adjust the base in angle of elevation.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
Here is Herr Allen's custom shooting bench.

Note the knob under the near edge (to Herr Allen) the adjustment knob that raises and lowers the end of the table top to adjust the elevation.

Keen idea!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline keith44

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 06:55:51 PM »
Note the knob under the near edge (to Herr Allen) the adjustment knob that raises and lowers the end of the table top to adjust the elevation.

Keen idea!

A very keen idea, and a very good idea for a shooting table
Life member NRA

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 08:06:45 PM »
Allan, how about posting some detail photo's of that table.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 01:50:14 AM »
I'll take some photo's of it after I unload it from my truck, the legs are from an old Bartac sewing machine
from work the top is some exotic decking material it is hinged at the front and uses a M1917A1 elevation device from the M1917A1 tri-pod with brackets I bent at work, I designed it so if firing the mortar and needing to level it I could do that, and firing the little cannons I could give it an upward slope
for recoil, it worked well at this event there is the beginning of a shelf at the base which I plan to have set up so if I need to I can add weight to it for stabilization.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline keith44

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 06:16:43 AM »
A great idea.
Life member NRA

Offline bronzecannon

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 09:55:08 AM »
I found sighting my 1 inch bore bronze garrison cannon a bother while lying on the ground so I built this shooting platform.
It measures approximately 4 feet long by 18 inch wide and 3 feet high. The wooden deck is mounted to a construction grade metal sawhorse that has locking legs. It is a little heavy but it has proven to be a very stable shooting platform and a lot easier to sight the cannon with.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »
Bronzecannon, that is a nice shooting platform you devised, and your cannon looks good on there, too! The pic with fire and smoke looks like a "Calendar" Pic!  ;D  BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »
Address the issue of spot weld and parallax and these shooting benches should work.  Only problem the veteran shooters in Durban found when they tried to shoot from the benches they couldn't shoot as well

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 07:32:16 AM »
Address the issue of spot weld and parallax and these shooting benches should work.  Only problem the veteran shooters in Durban found when they tried to shoot from the benches they couldn't shoot as well

Well with a little American ingenuity maybe I can solve that problem... besides my weight the knees are shot so getting down on the ground is out of the question, and besides sitting at a cannon bench is a
much more civilized way to shoot....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 09:27:40 AM »
Alan,

I would think if the bench or table was long enough so you could anchor you head in the same spot every time the problem would be solved.

Offline LeeBo

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 08:51:59 AM »
  I used these as a starting point.I did not buy them just sort of copied. I have a .69 caliber, 12 inch barrel , naval cannon.  Lee           http://modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS4005           http://modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS4004

Offline keith44

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 09:02:35 AM »
Nice Lee!!  I may do something like that for display, but for live fire shooting (at targets) I will be doing something alot more basic and utilitarian.
Life member NRA

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »
LeeBo,

I have plans on building a ships side & deck it will be wide enough for
two cannon  this way I can do a broadside
  ::)

Offline projector

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 11:14:36 AM »
The 2 that I've built are integrated into the storage box lid.  They work well, elevating it off the ground and having good stability, but the box gets dirty fast from the powder residue.

Offline keith44

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 02:11:26 PM »
The 2 that I've built are integrated into the storage box lid.  They work well, elevating it off the ground and having good stability, but the box gets dirty fast from the powder residue.

Now that's more like what I had in mind.  Could I trouble you for one more pic with a powder can in it with the cannon and box to show the scale
Life member NRA

Offline projector

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 03:24:52 AM »
These are from before.  I built them as gifts so they're not arround.  The lid slides in dado'd tracks cut in the sides of the crate.  The crate is sized to fit the cannon, powder can and ram rod.  It has a small elevated stand with a block to keep the cannon in place and a couple of keeper rails to hold the can, fuses and papers.  thanks and good luck.

Offline keith44

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 06:23:01 AM »
The box /crate idea is great I thinking "range box" shooting stand.

Thanks for the additional pic's and description.

Keith
Life member NRA