Author Topic: The 4th Almost Annual New River Valley Mortar and Cannon Shoot (4AANRVM&CS)  (Read 2762 times)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
Tim,  Thanks for posting this.  Looks like you guys had a great day.  Great weather and food and lots of fine artillery pieces of all sizes.

Offline MR.GADGET

• Trade Count: (0)
at latest I will be dropping them off at artillery shoot, and getting them back at fall nationals. 

rick bryan

Lets talk, at one of the shoots.....

We can do this after I feed you and let you drink much from the jug
MR. GADGET
NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
www.nra.org
Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T. "Rowan Artillery"
www.n-ssa.org

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
lol   I am good for trades too.  I think you know what gun i want.   bang bang bang bang very fast.

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
All,

Had an awesome time! ;D  Beautiful range, great people, artillery of all types and grilled steak for chow.  ;D ;D

I have the last long range target.  At least 14 .22 cal holes from Mr Gadgets .22 rimfire AR and Kaybar2's .22.  There was 1 .45 hole at 6 o clock.  The Mtn rifle had four 2.25" shots within 12 inches and the 5th opened the group up to to 15".  Nothing earth shaking but signs of promise for the 2nd time being fired & I learned a lot.

Did we post that Rick's 24lb mortar was the winner of the mortar shoot? Very impressive watching those big rounds fly and impact!  My thanks to Kaybar2 and Mr Gadget for letting me shoot the 1919 and their muskets!

CW.  I have some close ups of the 1919 and a few others I'll e-mail your way if that would be okay. Edit= found my computer upgrade has killed the camera memory card interface. Pre USB days... arggg

Another fine effort from our east coast moderator with help from Dale and Dennis.  Many thanks to all!!
What a great time.  :)
Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Offline MR.GADGET

Next time I will have my 12 pounder on the line also.......
MR. GADGET
www.nra.org
www.n-ssa.org

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
This really sounds like fun.  I wish I could have been there.  The next shoot is Cutbank and it's as geographically undesirable as Virginia is to Houston, Texas.
 :-\ :P
At least I am getting to enjoy the temperature in the 100's here.

Hey Rocklock!  It's almost hot enough for the "Big Head Convention" again.  I remember how much you enjoyed it last year. :o
Zulu The Sweat Hog
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline KABAR2

Zulu,

Looks like your goning to need to get a shoot started for the fellows
down your way that are too far from theses two...
  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Let's see who won, the computer or me...
1 Allen's arsenal

2Carol's glory

Rick smokin'

grins aplenty

my stuff

prizes for all

Sincerely submitted,  "moob"
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Zulu,

Looks like your goning to need to get a shoot started for the fellows
down your way that are too far from theses two...
  ;D

THAT's the ticket.

This shoot started by one person pestering me to go shootin'.

SO, by atmospheric extraction the "First Annual New River Valley Mortar and Cannon Shoot" was started.

ALL it takes is one or two folks that want to shoot and go FIND a place, then set a date!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Pete -

THE pictures of the awards !

THANKS!  the "Moob" heard loud and clear!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Bruce -

As you said "awesome"!  An experience verified photographically.

John -

I think next year I'd love to try a mortar competition where everyone fires "at my command"  "FIRE" one shot each at the ONE target.  It would be a great photo op.
So to have a volley of golf balls, then a volley of tin cans, and a volley of really heavy spheres would be awesome!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Wowee-Zowee!!!  Looks like everyone there had a great time. The pictures turned out great and help me feel like I was there with you smelling the burnt powder and listening to the guns going off. Thankyou for sharing!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline VA Rifleman

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
I think it was Bruce that donated a can of Goex for a prize of mortar marksmanship.

Both Little Seacoast and I were pleased to donate that can of powder. 

Wish I spent more time with Little SeaCoast shooting his Parrot. Hopefully we can get together soon and shoot it at a more reasonable distance.  :)
Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
I think it was Bruce that donated a can of Goex for a prize of mortar marksmanship.

Both Little Seacoast and I were pleased to donate that can of powder. 

Wish I spent more time with Little SeaCoast shooting his Parrot. Hopefully we can get together soon and shoot it at a more reasonable distance.  :)

AHHH  HAH!  So it was a TEAM effort!

Thanks to you BOTH!

This shoot is one to be remembered!  I have pictures of Rick (wearing his bright yellow tee shirt with www.bigassfans.com on it) as the desktop picture on one of the production lines test computer where I work.  Rick works for the only company licensed in Virginia to install the BAF's.  Yup.  It's on the line that makes the motors for two of the Big Ass Fans - the Isis and the Element.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

• A Real Regular
that is awsome,   you will have to send me a pic of the pic on the computer so show my office that its up on the production line of the fan motors. they would get a kick out of that.    well i am getting back to casting pellots tommorrow night getting ready for this weekedn for another shoot in winchester va.   

we have got to get together again soon for a shoot.  maybe we can find somewhere in centeral va. to shoot so its about the same distance away for all of us.   i think we need to sweet talk  va rifleman,   opps did i just through him under the bus?    opps. 

rick bryan   

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
This really sounds like fun.  I wish I could have been there.  The next shoot is Cutbank and it's as geographically undesirable as Virginia is to Houston, Texas.
 :-\ :P
At least I am getting to enjoy the temperature in the 100's here.

Hey Rocklock!  It's almost hot enough for the "Big Head Convention" again.  I remember how much you enjoyed it last year. :o
Zulu The Sweat Hog

That's exactly how you get started, a couple of guys get together and shoot.  It builds from there. 

In  Houston I would go over to the American Shooting and contact the Manager. Tell him you want to shoot a SAAMC postal match.  Be prepared to show him the targets, rules and Cannon. Be ready to demonstrate you safe shooting skills.  Let himn see you are serious competitor and not some nut case. Ask him if he can help or suggest something.  Use you salesman ship skills and open the door.  See what he says.

• A Real Regular
well at the next shoot i wil bring my new toy,  I have just picked upa digital bore scope. so we can inspect everyones breech and vent hole from the inside if they want to , which i recomend.   and i can also do this anytime for anyone just bring the gun and its free.  you will be able to see if the vent is erroding or if there are any major cracks.
I can do 50 cal on up.
  rick bryan

Offline MR.GADGET

well at the next shoot i wil bring my new toy,  I have just picked upa digital bore scope. so we can inspect everyones breech and vent hole from the inside if they want to , which i recomend.   and i can also do this anytime for anyone just bring the gun and its free.  you will be able to see if the vent is erroding or if there are any major cracks.
I can do 50 cal on up.
  rick bryan

No checking of cracks for eroding.......
MR. GADGET
www.nra.org
www.n-ssa.org