Author Topic: The Bullet Pinch  (Read 532 times)

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
The Bullet Pinch
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:48:03 AM »
Just about this time last year I bought a sleeve of 150-grain bullets for my 270 Winchester, Remington 760 pump.  The intention of the purchase was to have bullets for practice at the range.  Nothing against the Winchester Power Point; I found it to be very effective on deer.

This one I recovered from a buck I shot at just over 250 yards, it was a factory loaded round.

For this session I resized G.I. 30-06 brass down to .277 for the 270 Winchester.  I checked the resized brass in the 760 and it chambered without a problem.  I used CCI200 primers to lite the 56.0grains of H4831.  The load average 2831 fps across the new Beta Master Chrony my wife bought me for our 46th wedding anniversary. 

The target represents 11 rounds.

A few weeks before I had put a round from my 357 Magnum into the face of the Chrony she had bought me for Christmas 13 years earlier.  But that is another story.  I solider a wire back together and it works.  Poor thing flopped on the ground and started flashing Err….

When I returned home from testing the rounds over the “new” Chrony I resized the same brass, used the same primer-powder combination, and pulled bullets out of the sleeve in the order they were presented. 
I did notice that a couple of the bullets required a little more effort to seat, but not enough to set off alarm bells.  The Lyman Mag-T II press has a lot of leverage.  I might have notice more with the old Spar-T press which does not have near as much leverage.

The goal on this last trip was to check the loads out at 200 yards, and come up with some experience using the 200-yard ballistic line in the scope with BDC crosshairs.  The first rounds functioned just right in the rifle, then I had one that failed to chamber properly, and lack about a ¼ inch of fully chambering.  It required extra effort to eject the round.   I fired two or three rounds and had a second round stick.

I packed up the rifle and remaining loads to be examined at home and continued to shoot at 200 yards with another rifle.

At the reloading bench I broke down the problem rounds and pulled out my digital calipers and started out measuring the cases.  I could not find a problem there.  But when I measured the bullet diameter the problem became apparent.  The bullets in the problem loads measured .284/.285.

I measure miscellaneous .277 bullets I have on hand and they measured .276/.277/.278 with the majority measuring .277.  I have a few boxes of factory loaded WW 150-grain PP and they measured .277 above the cannelura. 

I called #2 brother who bought a 1000 bulk WWPP 150-grain .277 bullets from Midway years back and asked him to measure some of those bullets.  In a return call he told me they measure .277.

I should note that I do not have any .284 Power Points in my inventory.  I did have two sealed boxes and traded them to my brother a few years ago.  In return I received 160-grain Speer spitzers.

I started pulling remaining bullets out of the sleeve, I ended up with 12 bullets including those from the broken down rounds that measure .284/.285.

I bought some additional bulk bullets from the local dealer.  A couple hundred150-grain Remington CL for the 30-30.  I will be measuring them before loading.

I bought a few hundred blems from Mid-South, they are 130 grain Hornady SST; A very accurate bullet.   I am spoil by the consistency of the bullets I purchased from Mid-South.  The only problem with the purchase was that I did not order a thousand.  But that might have caused problems with the banker.

P.S.

I did not repair the old unit until the new Chrony arrived.    It is now my pistol Chrony.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Savage

Re: The Bullet Pinch
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:48:30 AM »
So, the bulk bullets you received from MidSouth were mixed.  Imagine what kind of pressures it would have created if it had been possible to chamber and fire the 7mm bullets in your .270! Although it's unlikely any .270 chamber would allow that, it's a serious error on the part of MS. I'd make them aware of the error so that they can take steps to prevent it's recurrence.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:10:14 AM »
“I bought a few hundred blems from Mid-South, they are 130 grain Hornady SST; A very accurate bullet.   I am spoil by the consistency of the bullets I purchased from Mid-South. “  

I have had ZERO problem with the products or the bullets I have purchased from Mid South.  A bad on my part, I should not have mention them.  I was trying to compliment them. 

I purchased the bullets from the following dealer.  I have been buying items from Miwall for about 30 years and the only problem was with the sleeve of bullets I purchased last year.
The mixed bullets came from Miwall:

http://www.miwallcorp.com/index.php?route=information/calendar&calendar_id=153

My bad, I should have never mention Mid South in the same post.  :-[

I am grateful that Miwall is in business.  Back in time I purchased a few 1000 Large Rifle primer cartons from them at the Big Show in Reno, between those and the magnum primers I got from my friend Gun Runner I stayed in business during the recent shortages.

Years back when I was working we would buy cases of Miwall reloads for training.  It was reliable and priced right.  The good prices allowed us to train more and become more proficient with our duty weapons.  Miwall reloads were used by a number of outfits for training.

No problem with Mid South bullets.  My regret is not buying more.  Mid South did not identify the manufacture of the BLEMS I purchased from them but I have no doubt that they are Hornady 130-grain SST.  I averaged 3060 (3061) across the Chrony using 60.0 grains of H4831.  Sixty-two grains is listed as maximum by Hornady.  This is out of my Remington 700 with the slow barrel 22-inche barrel.  I suspect that I would get an addition 30 fps out of my Savage 110CL.

I have not used the SST for hunting but these BLEMS have proven to be very accurate.  The ones I measured were .276.  From my range experience with them I wish I had bought a 100 of the Bonded BLEMS for hunting.  A long time ago I switched to heavier bullets in the 270 Winchester for deer.  I went to 150-grain bullets in the Model 760 and the Remington 700.  I went to the 140-grain Hornady BT in the Savage 110 pushed by WW785 at 3030 fps.

It has been a sweet load. 

I bought a few hundred 140-grain BT old style Silvertips when they were discontinue.  The price was right and I was amazed at the groups I was getting out of them from the Savage and the 700.  I got a 3/8 group out of the Savage pushed by WMR, and lite by Winchester primers purchased from Miwall.

Back to the problem bullets, they messed up part of a day at the range.  Rather discouraging trying to get jammed rounds out of a rifle and it could present a safety issue.  I was concerned that I might have to use a cleaning rod to knock the live round out of the chamber.  But I was lucky to get them out with using extra force.  I suspect the range master had a critical eye on me. 

Savage thank-you for your post, it made me aware of my mistake and I apologize to Mid South who did not error.   :D
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 07:55:38 AM »
Siskiyou,
Looks like I jumped to conclusions there. I have ordered from MidSouth numerous times, and have been totally satisfied with their products and services.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,