Author Topic: Aluminum gas checks  (Read 777 times)

Offline sirgknight

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Aluminum gas checks
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:41:30 PM »
have any of you used these?  I've read where there may be some concern with oxidation or thickness of material used to make the checks, but my primary concern would be the fit on the bullet.  your thoughts are appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-Caliber-011-Aluminum-Gas-Checks-1000-count-/130493494784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6204b600

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: Aluminum gas checks
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 04:21:53 PM »
Yup. I make my own. The best material I've tried is 0.014 flashing, but believe it or not, double thickness soft drink cans work well for me.
0.010 thickness didn't do well at all, and left the check in the bottom of my lubrisizer.

I wouldn't worry about oxidation. The cans are coated, and I don't think you'll have the checks long enough for them to oxidize..
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 03:41:13 AM »
I make my own with the Pat Marlin's tool.  I use aluminum roof flashing that I buy from the building supply store.  My roll of flashing cost me about $8.00 and I figgure that it will last for several thousand 30 caliber checks.  Punching out the disks is a little obnoxious, but I just make a couple of dozen at a time as I need them.  I keep an old RCBS press right next to my lube maching just for punching gas checks.

All of my loads seem accurate, and I'm not too worried about any "oxidation" because I figgure that is the least of my concerns.  The aluminum is so much softer than copper that there is little chance of it ever damaging the bore.  All the gas check is for is to protect the base of the bullet from the hot gas generated by the burning powder, and the aluminum does this nicely. Since my flashing is a little thinner than recommended, the checks look a little like tiny bottle caps, but that doesn't matter.

With the price of gas checks up around $38/K, it will not take long to pay for the check maker, which is about $80 or so. 

Offline Bob J

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:38:57 AM »
I make my own as well with a Freechex III....  Cheap and bullets are as accurate as with the expensive copper ones.....

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »
I don't make my own and use D.CROCKETT's "home made" aluminum GC's here on GBO for my 30-30 Lyman #311041 x 173 grain (Keith like) FN's.  Work like a charm so far.

Offline sirgknight

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 05:30:09 AM »
Ben directed me to a great thread and I'm ordering a checkmaker from Pat.  Like someone said, it won't take long to pay for the tool and materials.  I'm even getting a paper cutter to cut the strips; that should save me on my arthiritic hands. 

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 09:24:02 AM »
Care to share the thread URL?