Author Topic: Cleaning  (Read 1553 times)

Offline clum sum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Cleaning
« on: June 12, 2011, 04:34:27 PM »
I have been told many times how much fun it is to shoot a cannon. So after many months I got to shoot, or is that choot, my carronaid .It was a learning experince for me, it will be more fun as I learn all the diffrent way of doing things. No one and I mean no one told me how much a pain it was to clean. Lets hear the many and easy ways to clean these #&(**)!$% things. As soon as I can get the Grandson to show me how I will post pics.
A man's hand shake is his bond.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 05:08:33 PM »
clum sum,
What is the bore?  If it is big enough, put the hose down it and scrub it out with your sponge.  When it is dry, oil it with motor oil. 
If it is small, clean it like you would a muzzle loader.  Hot water and soap.  Then oil it.
It really should be pretty easy.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 05:26:04 PM »
I've stopped at the car wash before!

;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:09:38 PM »
Garden hose ands swab here also.

Dry it and oil with Automatic transmission fluid.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »
I've stopped at the car wash before!

;D

That almost always draws a crowd. 

I wipe down the outside with hot soapy water.  For the bore I have a round toilet brush screwed onto a long piece of closet doweling.  I flush the bore with water, then dip that brush into soapy water, scrub the hell out of the bore.  Brush the vent with a nylon brush (.22 cal).  Flush with water.  Drain.  Have my wife stop the vent, flood the bore, run a clean sponge down to force water out the vent.  Repeat till clear.  Run the screw all the way up, and put a block on it so the tube drains.  Then, depending on how ambitious I am, I either oil it down or do the paint touch up, let that dry and then oil it.

It really isn't that much of a pain to do.  If I'm not doing any painting it takes maybe 15 to 20 minutes.  Heck, takes longer to clean a 1911.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline keith44

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:47:40 PM »
takes me longer to clean my flintlock rifle than any of my mini cannons.  If you have a mini-cannon (something under 1" bore) get some shotgun (or if small enough rifle) bore mops, and a basic cleaning rod that the mops fit.  Pre-rinse with garden hose, mop the bore with boiling hot (or as close as you can get it) soapy water, follow with equally hot clear water (with or with out water solulable oil added) dry the bore and oil while warm. Compressed air helps dry the vent (vent should have cleaning and rinsing sloution "blowing out" with each stroke of the bore mop).

What did you do to make it harder than needed??
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline bluelake

• Avid Poster
    • 1871 US Military Action in Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:10:53 PM »
I clean out my muzzleloaders with what some have called 3-2-1 (off another muzzleloading board), which has a simple recipe:

3 parts alcohol, 2 parts hydrogen peroxide and 1 part Murphy's Oil Soap.  It works quite well. 

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
Jeepers... I've seen some shooters going to almost as much trouble between shots:o

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 09:19:37 PM »
Zulu is right ! Just hose it off with prejudice, let her dry  in the sun .....OR use boiling hot water and lots of it to heat the steel so that it evaporates the water .

Motor oil is good stuff .  ;)  For whatever lame reason my wife dosn't think it smells as good as I do ....go figure :o

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 01:36:11 AM »
takes me longer to clean my flintlock rifle than any of my mini cannons.  If you have a mini-cannon (something under 1" bore) get some shotgun (or if small enough rifle) bore mops, and a basic cleaning rod that the mops fit.  Pre-rinse with garden hose, mop the bore with boiling hot (or as close as you can get it) soapy water, follow with equally hot clear water (with or with out water solulable oil added) dry the bore and oil while warm. Compressed air helps dry the vent (vent should have cleaning and rinsing sloution "blowing out" with each stroke of the bore mop).

What did you do to make it harder than needed??

I think I just came up with another use for the wife's blow dryer  ;D

I'll let ya know how that turns out.

bp

Offline Double D

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 04:18:20 AM »
I clean out my muzzleloaders with what some have called 3-2-1 (off another muzzleloading board), which has a simple recipe:

3 parts alcohol, 2 parts hydrogen peroxide and 1 part Murphy's Oil Soap.  It works quite well.

You would be better served leaving the  hydrogen peroxide out, it creates oxygen and promotes rusting...

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 05:42:22 AM »
Dish washer works great for the smaller ones............   ::)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 09:34:10 AM »
Dish washer works great for the smaller ones............   ::)

Do you have to bribe her?
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 11:59:45 AM »
Careful there jeeper ;) gonna get me in trouble with my girl, she wanted to see what this site is so I picked an innocent looking thread about cleaning the guns and now I'm in the dog house.  :P

Offline bluelake

• Avid Poster
    • 1871 US Military Action in Korea
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »

You would be better served leaving the  hydrogen peroxide out, it creates oxygen and promotes rusting...

Everything is oiled afterwards--no problems.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 03:29:05 PM »
Careful there jeeper ;) gonna get me in trouble with my girl, she wanted to see what this site is so I picked an innocent looking thread about cleaning the guns and now I'm in the dog house.  :P

Assure her that none of us ever would seriously consider putting gun parts in an automatic dish washer.  Or that teaballs make good holders for small parts in a dishwasher.

It can be too darned hard to scrub out that black film before the wife gets home.   ;D
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 04:16:38 PM »
Thats not quite the way she took that one.

Offline dittles

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 04:35:12 PM »
 I have black powder rifles so I clean my Golf Ball Mortar and G.B. Parrot the same way as I clean my rifles. Hot water with dish soap then rinse them off with water that has been brought to a boil. I then grease them down with  T.C. Bore Butter.  So my question would be is motor oil better to use than the Bore Butter? Bore Butter has a nice smell!

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 04:46:11 PM »
I have black powder rifles so I clean my Golf Ball Mortar and G.B. Parrot the same way as I clean my rifles. Hot water with dish soap then rinse them off with water that has been brought to a boil. I then grease them down with  T.C. Bore Butter.  So my question would be is motor oil better to use than the Bore Butter? Bore Butter has a nice smell!

Simple -

Bore Butter - ~$6/5 oz.

Motor Oil - ~$4/32 oz.

I know some people who save the oil when they change oil and use that.  Which effectively makes the cost zero.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 06:57:27 PM »
You can do better than motor oil.

When I shoot my  black powder  Martini Henry rifles's I clean the  bore with patches soaked in Antifreeze. I also use antifreeze and water to wet my cannon swabs when shooting.    Antifreeze also contains rust inhibitors.

After cleaning the rifles bores I oil the bore and gun with automatic transmission fluid.  ATF contains anti rust and corrosion inhibitors and and is a Super penetrator.   

When I get my cannon home I use the garden hose to clean of everything the wipe all the metal down with ATF.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 08:27:40 PM »
I like using window wash with ammonia. After everything is dry it is wiped down with an oily rag inside and out.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 05:04:15 AM »
Dish washer works great for the smaller ones............   ::)

Do you have to bribe her?

Well the trick was do a load of dishes late at night and get up and put them away before she gets up.....
this way she really appreciated you helping out with the chores........ Carol never knew....... I think........  ::)

And years ago when I was re-enacting the American Revolution after 2 or 3 days of camping I would come home pull the barrel out of the musket and hit the shower.... we both were clean in short order.....

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline MR.GADGET

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 07:40:50 AM »
I put mine out on the deck after we got back, dish soap, hose, and wash away.....

Have done the car wash on the 1919 in the past, sure clears out and gives you the pick of what one you want.
MR. GADGET
NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
www.nra.org
Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T. "Rowan Artillery"
www.n-ssa.org

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 07:43:01 AM »

And years ago when I was re-enacting the American Revolution after 2 or 3 days of camping I would come home pull the barrel out of the musket and hit the shower.... we both were clean in short order.....[/b] [/color]

My wife gave me a really strange look the first time I did that. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline MR.GADGET

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 07:45:59 AM »
I wash my guns in the sink all the time, the problem it the first time I did the 1919 I broke the sink, now I just do parts and small arms.....

edit, she will even help....
MR. GADGET
NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
www.nra.org
Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T. "Rowan Artillery"
www.n-ssa.org

Offline clum sum

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 03:00:19 PM »
Thanks everyone this makes life much easier.
A man's hand shake is his bond.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

Offline Double D

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 03:34:41 PM »
Many good ideas, no "only one right way".  Try them and see what works for you.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »

I'd still like to know what you did that made it such a PITA for you.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline keith44

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 06:21:17 PM »

So would I, not to pick on you  ::)  but rather to see if there is anything I might be doing that could be easier.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 06:24:25 PM »

Heck, I want to pick on him and subject him to ridicule and humiliation!   ;)

So would I, not to pick on you  ::)  but rather to see if there is anything I might be doing that could be easier.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell