Author Topic: Supressed 10/22  (Read 728 times)

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
Supressed 10/22
« on: June 15, 2011, 04:55:48 AM »
Anyone shooting a suppressed 10/22?  I'm thinking of ordering one.  I've done a lot of looking and listening on youtube (I know it's all subjective on youtube but it's all I've got).  Some seem to be much quieter than others.  I definitely want an integral supressor, not a screw on can.  I want the quietest I can get that can be disassembled and cleaned by me.  Right now, leaning toward an SRT but am willing to consider any other than maybe better or quieter.  Basically for my situation, I need to hear the bolt only (as much as possible).

Advice?

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Avyctes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Supressed 10/22
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:02:05 AM »
I don't  have one myself, but my FFL 01/03 buddy does and he loves it.  I've personally watched him step outside his shop and snatch off rounds in his front yard - it's snappy but noticeably quieter.  He ordered the completely baffled barrel and built a rather trick looking sniper with a black synthetic stock, low power scope - all very cool and tactical looking.  I was impressed with it.  Go for it, you'll be glad you did.  The last cool looking thing I saw him build was a 'street sweeper' using a Saiga 12 ga, put it in a synthetic side folding stock, put custom adjustable sights on it, sling, and 20 round drum.  The barrel has a door entry muzzle break - looks extremely tactical - I loved it. 
"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts.. that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 11:04:34 AM »
 It is hard to say which is better because they perform differently with different ammo. A bolt action with screw on is quieter than an integral on a 10-22 with a cycling bolt. I think it is 9 point something decibels for the action to cycle. 10 db is twice as loud. So in effect a 10-22 is pretty well twice as loud as a bolt action. You can buy a bolt lock. http://www.tbasuppressors.com/products/1022-bolt-lock There are different methods this one is just a lot cheaper and pretty simple. If you want it to cycle, a buffer will reduce it about 5 decibels http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1184. As for your question, two of the best as far as db reduction and longevity are http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=14 the operative and http://www.tbasuppressors.com/suppressors/integral-rifle/tba-integral-ruger-1022 The advantage of the tba is it looks like a stock barrel. The firing pin and impact are the only audible noises besides the woosh on both if you don't allow the bolt to cycle. You can actually just stop it with your thumb, but it's a little awkward to shoot consistently. Be careful because some don't come apart so they have to be sent back and disassembled by the manufacturer. Both of these listed will open for cleaning which in turn makes their useful life longer than ours.
Molon labe

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 11:59:29 AM »
thanks a bunch... I guess I don't need it to be hollywood silent.  I just don't want my neighbors to hear it.  I will be shooting from a 3-sided 6 foot privacy fence enclosure.  My property is well-treed and each neighbor has 3-4 acres.  I will be shooting into a target area with a sand pile behind the target area.  The only sound I really need to hide is the report.  The cycling of the action shouldn't be heard from that distance anyway.  It's a good 100 yds or so to the other two houses.  I want a .22 that will be quieter than my kid's pellet gun (or just like it).

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 01:28:11 PM »
A cheaper option may be to go with a long barrel and sub sonic ammo. Green Mountain makes a 28 for the 10-22. A 28 with subs is quieter than an integrally suppressed MKII pistol. You can barely hear the report being louder than the action cycling. Suppressors are illegal here for hunting so I use a 28" sporter. The wife can't hear me shooting on the back porch while in the house. No db meter, I would say it is about half as loud as a springer air rifle.

GM makes a few runs a year of the 28s. They make a sporter and a bull. The sporter isn't as heavy as a standard length bull. My .5" at 50 rig stayed at .5" when I switched from an 18" GM bull to 28" sporter. Never tried the bull because I figured it would be to heavy for a walk about. But they are in stock currently. The sporter is not. If interested you could email gm and see when the next run is. Or maybe think about a bull if it is just going to be a bench plinker. http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1463&review=read#read_review http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1438
Molon labe

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 03:17:15 PM »
CB  longs  will work  if you manually work the bolt

i have trouble  getting the  shorts  not to jamb

i  too have been considering  another suppressor
but  i think my  bolt savage  with  CB  shorts  and a mi-dot scope are all  i need

practicing with my range finder and  the mill dot for elevation
2 dots down  is the 60 yard dot  with  CBs.....one dot  up  if loaded with stingers
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.