Author Topic: vegtable fiber wad  (Read 578 times)

Offline woods

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
vegtable fiber wad
« on: June 15, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
I'm reloading shot shells for my 41 mag and have been useing cardboard cut outs for building a shot cups under and over the shot charge. This months midway catalogue lists vegetable fiber wad for black powder loads for the 40 caliber. I was wondering if these would work in place of the cardboard  I have been useing. Curently I've been cutting out wads useing a sharpened case edge of a 41 mag shell had to drill out the primer pocket so I could push the cut out circles back out of the shell. The heavy cardboard from the dividers in soda 24 packs with the waxed surface seems to work best for me so far the are slightly water proof if you place the wax surface against the powder and the top of the shot charge. I was hopeing someone else has given these veg wad cards a try before I went and bought them. These are quite fun to quick draw on tossed soda cans and bugs. It only takes about a half hour to burn up 50 shells in a good swamp area or hay field. Even use them on those iritateing bees that bore into your wood structures around the house.  Very short range, 10 feet or so with very little wory about where the shot charge comes down.

woods

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
Re: vegtable fiber wad
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 07:24:09 PM »
Hello, Woods.  I have been using the Walters veg. fibre wad material for years in my single shot .40 cal. rifles.   I turned up a wad cutter for use in a drill press.  It's hardened & ground to a knife edge from air hdn. tool steel.  The I.D. is .410.  Walters sells .410 dia. wads..and Midway's are most likely this dia.  This would be a perfect fit for your .41.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:37:10 PM »
Woods

I have been loading 41mag shotshell for years using a 30-30 cases need some cutting and grinding along with fire forming but you get way more capacity then a 41 mag case I also use the botton of a styrafoam cup for over powder wad and side of cup for over shot sealed with wax.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline greenrivers

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:29:32 AM »
Huntducks, are you using these in a handgun? If so are you cutting the brass to full chamber length just short of the throats?

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:14:55 AM »
Huntducks, are you using these in a handgun? If so are you cutting the brass to full chamber length just short of the throats?

I'm using a S&W 57, that's what i'm doing full cut to chamber length you will have to grind the rim just a wee bit I use a bench grinder, 303 Sav also works then I fire form the cases using 2 grs of either unique or RD W/ the over powder wad and stuff batting in them and sealed with wax, you can anneal the necks or just make more then you can shoot because after 3-4 loads you get a 1/16" split in the top, right above the shoulder on the neck you will see were that flattens out, i'll take a few pictures later and post and if you want the load let me know #9 shot is a killer.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline woods

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 04:54:50 PM »
     Thanks for the input I think I'll order the veg wad and give it a try. What shot sizes does everyone use I'm useing #9 seems to pattern well with my 7 1/2" barrel. The 30/30 brass sounds interesting but I don't own one have a couple friends that do though I'll check with them, might save this for a winter project.

woods

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 06:08:47 PM »
Here are a few pictures

Picture #1 is 41mag case #2 is a cut down 30-30 and #3 is a 30-30 case you can see in the picture how much more capacity the cut down 30-30 has vs a 41 mag case I can put in 190grs of #9shot with 218grs being a 1/2oz.

Picture #2 is the componets laid out.

Picture #3 is a fire formed case and loaded ready for first full charge fire forming other case is a finished ready to go case.

I submitted this to Handloader Mag. 30 years ago and the writer did an artical about it and took you thru all the steps.

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 09:26:31 AM »
or one could possibly use .414 Supermag brass..
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis