Author Topic: bersa 380 pro or cons ?  (Read 2116 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
bersa 380 pro or cons ?
« on: June 16, 2011, 09:13:55 AM »
I just handled one all I can say for 300.00 bucks it has me thinking on buying it.The trigger pull was good as any other compact 380 two tone color
I was not crazy about the safety set up see you rack the slide and flip on the safety the hammer will fall but it will not fire.I was told first shot out double and then single all the way .
I was told the shop will warranty the gun for 1 years free repairs if needed .I am going to check out a few more reviews before I jump into it.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: bersa 380 pro or cons ?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »
It is the size Idon't care for---no matter the name on it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline spruce

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 04:27:49 PM »
I have the .22LR version of the same gun.  They're well made guns and an excellent value.

While not as small and compact as the newer "micro" .380 pistols it's big enough so you can shoot it accurately.  They have a reputation of being accurate and dependable pistols.

The firing mechanism is the traditional double action auto design.  The safety also serves as a decocker to safely lower the hammer after chambering a round.  This design has been around forever, pioneered by the Walther PP and P-38 and used in many S&W, Ruger, etc designs.

They've sold a bunch of them over the years, but offhand I can't remember ever seeing a used one for sale in a gunshop although I'm sure there are a few.  Must be some reason why people don't get rid of them!

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 08:17:11 PM »
I've owned one since they cost $190.00 brand spankin' new. (the same one even)  Mine is all nickle finish and looks like the designer borrowed heavily from Walther.  I've put probably 900 to 1,100 rounds through it.  It is a solid little gun.  I bought it for the wife, but she says even it kicks too much.  I pack it some, but have never needed it.  For it's size and mass you could have a .40, 9mm Para, maybe a .45.  None will be more dependable, few could be more accurate, but there are more powerful guns available.  More recoil, harder to control for second and third shot (maybe).  I like mine, and if you want a .380 you will have a hard time doing better.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline 3030guy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 06:06:29 PM »
It is the size Idon't care for---no matter the name on it.
Blessings

Bill, do you still have your ppk?

I've only handled the bersa in the gunshop, never shot one. I went with the ppk/s because it felt better in my hands than the bersa.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 07:24:30 AM »
Spuce has it right.  They are well made and a very good value for the money.   But I also agree with William's assessment, too big for the caliber.   The same $300 will get get a Kel-tec P-11 which packs 11 rounds of 9mm in a smaller, lighter package.     
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 05:42:29 AM »
I've owned one as my carry weapon for a couple of years now. I've put close to 1,000 rounds through it with no hiccups at all.  I've shot Golden Sabres,Hydra-Shoks, cast RN, FMJ, and cast truncated cone with no problems.  It is a little bit big for a .380 but it's more controllable then my Kel-Tec.  I have nothing but good things to say about mine.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 09:57:21 AM »
I been on a few forums looking at the small pocket gun reviews Man
Kahr 380 or 9MM Man what returns for guns malfunction and also read one had a crack slide new out of the box.
The CW45 cal. seem that have yet got it right many going back for warranty repair.
I Have a so call deal going on a Walters PPKS 380 made back imported by Interarms sitting in property clerk office,I think if all goes threw well and the gun has yet to be scraped I will go for it.
I gave Bersa Forums some reading and thee 380 seem to run excellent
I see they also came out with a compact 9MM I may look at
.I like the ruger 9MM but it really not that small I compared to my J frame and not much difference.I like the Sig: but I am not willing to throw out over $500.00 for a pocket gun.
I was hoping for a 45 acp I already reload for it in my SA 1911
no need to buy extra dies and bullets

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 01:12:53 PM »
For the money I'd opt, and did so, for the Kel tec PF-9. Very reliable, accurate, light and easy to conceal, but most important it's a 9mm which I'd take over a .380 any day. Besides being a more lethal round the 9mm is cheaper and easier to find than the .380 rounds, at least anywhere around here. It's not a gun you shoot for fun, according to some folks, but I've never had a problem and very much enjoy shooting it. Many women like it too so the recoil can't be too bad. Main thing is that it's one heck of a lot of gun in a small package and for a very reasonable price. I also like that it has a tac rail as I keep this by my bed at night too. The laser makes it much easier to get on target in the dark. :)

I'd take this over any two Bersa's. Not that the Bersa is a bad gun, this just suits my personal defense, conceal carry, wayyyyy better!

My P-32, the PF-9's little brother ( Which I carry as back-up), laying on top of my PF-9 which shows how small the PF-9 is as compared to other 9mm's. Kel Tecs are good enough that Ruger copied both the .380 and now the 9mm. ;) Also, Kel Tec has about the best service department of anyone out there. The grip extention, shown on the magazine in the pistol, comes free with a new PF-9.

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 02:57:19 PM »
Nothing wrong with a Kel-Tec .380, either. I have one of those for very hot weather.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 12:36:37 AM »
I have a couple of Bersa 380s. I liked the first one I bought so much and so did my wife so I got her one too.  I have had them now for 5 years and have put hundreds of rounds through them and have yet to experience a single failure.  They are accurate and easy to shoot well with.  This is something that is not true of micro 380s (I have one of them and it to functions perfectly but it is nowhere near as accurate).  As for the newer small 9mms I have one of them too and it holds 12 rounds int the mag and shoots well too but it is wider and harder to conceal than the Bersa is.  If you want a 380 the Bersa is a good one.  There are smaller 380s which fr strictly self defense are just as good.

Offline DC

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 06:57:19 AM »
I have owned three of them and they all were great pistol.  I never experienced a failure to feed, fire or extract on any of them they were very accurate for a dedium caliber self defense pistol.
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(

Offline cole k

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 09:42:32 AM »
 Personally, I have no use for a small semi-auto or anything in chambered in a .380. I just don't care for them.  :)

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »
I bought one for my wife last February.  It is well built but has feeding problems with Blazer Brass 95 gr. FMJ rounds.  Every other clip I run through it won't completely feed a round.  I had been warned about this by NCSurveyor when I bought it.  He said not to use the FMJ, but the price was right on three boxes of ammo....  I had hoped that running a couple of hundred rounds through would wear it in and end the problems but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Aren't these made under license from Walther?

If the store will let you, see if you can run a box of ammo through it.  That should tell you all you need to know!

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »
I am going to check out a few more reviews before I jump into it.
Bersa is a good gun. I've never owned one, but have two friends with them and have shot them a lot, most recently at the range a week ago. Good pistol.

Some say it's bulky for cal... and it is, I guess, but that's because guns have shrunk last few years. A friend has a Ruger LCP - it's a LOT smaller than the Bersa, same .380... but it's miserable to shoot. I shoot pretty good rapid groups with the Bersa - and the CZ-75, the HP, the Glock 22, and Makarov - but can't hit well with the LCP. And it's no fun to practice with.

On the issue of 380 being too small... well, not my first choice if I'm in a gunfight... but I think it's plenty sufficient for 99% of likely self-defense purposes. The other 1% are best handled by a 12GA or being somewhere else.

$300 seems just a touch high, but I've not priced a new one lately.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 02:21:01 PM »
The bersa deal went south just pick up a like new walters PPKS/1 made by S@W
Yep it on recall the year I think was in 2002 I have to say for 225.00 I don't think it was a bad deal I think the gun does not have a box of ammo threw it.
I did rtest fire it seem the de-cocker work perfect and the hammer block work as well ;I called S@W they said they will send out a pre-posted fedex to return for inspection I will see if they do
I am not the original owner Like I said I check the gun out ran excellent I am not a fan of letting the hammer drop when a loaded round is chamber I favor to walk the hammer down instead of letting it drop