Author Topic: NEF Handi Throat, .223 vs .204  (Read 738 times)

Offline h4198

• Trade Count: (0)
NEF Handi Throat, .223 vs .204
« on: June 16, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »
Good evening, new guy here from Ontario- I've been lurking for a few years and always enjoyed reading the intelligent posts.

I am a well rounded shooter/reloader with 25+ years of experience and am about to purchase a new NEF Handi rifle.  The question comes down to caliber in this instance- .223 Rem vs .204 Ruger.
I really couldn't care less about terminal ballistics between the two because lets face it- at 3000+ fps  I'm sure the Coyotes/Paper targets won't care either.       My interest is inherent accuracy of the Handi Rifle.

Specifically I have been reading about a long leade/throat on the .223 Handi.  Plenty of internet folk claim sub-MOA with handloads while some get 3" patterns.   I'd be happy with a repeatable MOA.
I didn't read anything about the .204 Ruger having a long throat...     
Right now I'm already set up with dies/components for .223 Rem, and ideally would like to buy the rifle in this caliber- makes sense right?    However I would like to have the bullet seated just shy of the lands.     Are current models still subject to the excessive throat length or did that clear up with the switch to 1:9 twist barrel?

So based on your collective experience can you who know best please chime in on which rifle should be inherently more accurate based on these two calibers throating.

Obviously its not a benchrest gun- I get that, but I'd like to be off to a good start too..   Thank you all, in advance.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: NEF Handi Throat, .223 vs .204
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 06:19:43 AM »
Welcome! Between the two, the 223 is most commonly the accurate choice, you'll see more complaints about the 204 than the 223 even tho there are many more 223 owners here. The 204 suffers with a slow 1:12" twist which limits bullet selection to under 40grs for the most part. My 204 Ruger is long throated, 2.390" COL to the lands with the 40gr Vmax, but it shoots great at the SAAMI recommended  COL with a max load of BL-C2, under 1" at 100yds. My 223 is an older 1:12" twist and shoots Win white box 45gr JHP into a ½" at 100yds which is very typical of this ammo and the rifle, so I wouldn't worry about the long throat, any late model 223 will have a 1:9" twist and you can shoot longer bullets which will get you closer to the lands, but it's not necessarily required as many 1:12" owners here can attest to, I'll leave the 1:9" reports up to someone else.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 05:21:46 AM »
I will not dispute the master (quickdtoo) as he has far more experience with the ins & outs of the Handi than I do.
I will give an account of my experience with these two calibers in the Handi.
At the present time I own 4 223 Handi rifles, (both in 22" and 24" ultra) along with 3 204s, (again both barrel lengths).
I have owned a total of 8 204s and can say that not a single one of them ever shot over 1/2" with factory 32gr V-Max ammo.
Two of the ones I own now will do just as good with 45gr V-Max also and keep 5 32s under a dime if I do my part.
I have 1 223 that will shot a strong 1/2" or a tad bigger with the cheap ULTRA MAX 52gr hp ammo but hates the Winchester white box 45s.
The other 3 hate the Ultra Max ammo and 2 of them hate the Winchester white box 45s.
In fact, I have not found a factory load that will shoot under 1" with any of these 3 guns.
One 24" ultra will do 1.25" with Remington's varmint load.
All of my 223s are 1 in 12 twist.
I like to try factory ammo first in a gun before I start messing with and loading.
I have found that if it won't shoot a factory load, (and there are many to try) then most of the time you won't get much better with reloading for it.
There are exceptions of course but generally factory ammo will give a good hint as to the accuracy of a given barrel.
I once owned a TC Contender carbine in 223 that would match the 5 under a dime with the ULTRA MAX ammo but sold it back to the person I got it from.
I do miss that little gun but I love my 204s!!!
I have seen 223 Handis that can do the 5 under a dime or at least stay under 1/2" but so far I have never owned one.
Just shows that every gun has a mind of it's own as to what it likes and will shoot.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline h4198

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 07:03:28 PM »
Some sound advice there for sure, regarding the accuracy potential of factory ammo first..   Thank you both very much for the input, I have ordered a Handi in .223 Rem and once its dialed in I hope to post a few pics, look for them in early August.
And if Win whitebox 45's work wonders I may just research and attempt to duplicate that load..  Hmmmm  (Rubs chin)
          8)