Author Topic: Am I the only one?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline dittles

• Trade Count: (0)
Am I the only one?
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:03:22 PM »
 Am I the only one that names their pieces? My golf ball Parrot is Clara Barton and my G.B. mortar is Sarah Emma Edmonds. I'm thinking about getting a pop can mortar in the future and I have already picked out a name for her.  It's funny, I have posted pictures and a small video for my Face Book friends and they now refer to them by their names.  I'm attending a friend's 40th birthday party this weekend and today I was asked "Will Sarah be joining you?".
 P.S. My aunt asked me "Why do you name them after women?". Because, just like a woman, it doesn't take much to set them off!  ;D She didn't see the humor in that >:(

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Am I the only one?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:31:45 PM »
I used to name the cars and trucks I drove.  Like the old '63 3/4T Chevy - Truckasaurous Rex (big and old).

I have named but one mortar.  My 4.5" is named H.H. for an old boss who was the biggest b. and most hated (fearsome) person on campus.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dittles

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »
Cat Whisperer, "Truckasaurous Rex", now that's funny!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 06:15:20 PM »
I was going say how silly it is to name these things....then I remembered I have K.I.S.S., No. 24, Dom Dictator,  Cairo Gun, Colin's gun, SAMCC gun, Junk yard dog and  K.I.S.S. the can.

Offline shooter2

• Avid Poster
  • To err is Human, to ARR is Pirate.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:31:25 PM »
In do not name the few small model cannon that I have (the letter box excepted) however my partner has taken to naming my tools with derogatory names owing to the time I spend with them and away from her.

e.g. - Lathe - Bitch
         Mill- Mole
        Shaper - Slut.
She is a lady of remarkable taste (she likes me after all) but is very jealous of our time together.

shooter2
We are the Guns and your masters!
Saw ye our flashes?
Heard ye the scream of our shells in the night, and the shuddering crashes?

'The Voice of the Guns'
Captain Gilbert Frankau Royal Artillery 1916

Offline keith44

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »
I've named vehicles (Cougar XR-7 1BadCat, the thunderchicken, and Lucy ), rifles (Thunderstick, smokepole, etc), Motorcycle (the Faithful Steed, and my little steel pony), but I have yet to name a connon.  No reason, just haven't named one yet.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 08:46:51 PM »
I had an old Ford F-100 pickup I called "Too loose La truck" and my Palmer mobility scooter Is called "Helen Wheels". I don't call my mortars or cannons anything.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:10:09 PM »
Why would you think it odd?  In the Confederacy most guns were named rather than numbered.  Granted, they were usually named for men, but womens names were not unknown.  The gun I take care of and tow around for our unit is named Flo in memory of the owner mother.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 12:45:39 AM »
Well I have REAPER which is a scale 24 pounder on a navy truck carriage and MORT which is a golf ball mortar.... heck some of my guns have names .... like my 45 1911..... it's ROSCO......and a new addition..... my wife's favorite Walther P-22 which now has my pet name for her inscribed on it.... M'Lady Carol
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 04:17:17 AM »
They all have names and I don't feel a bit odd or strange about giving each of my artillery peices names.  I guess it is a confederate thing.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 04:22:21 AM »
They all have names and I don't feel a bit odd or strange about giving each of my artillery peices names.  I guess it is a confederate thing.

NO.
There are those of us that name our mortars and cannons (and trucks and cars) that will NEVER be considered as either Southerners nor Confederates.  Not our choice. 
   ;) ;D :o
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 05:09:06 AM »
Yeah I have named a few cars and trucks over the years too.... most memorable was the
Millennium Falcon a 1980's Chevy cube van all white in color... always had trouble getting it
up into light speed and it had a couple of features I'll not mention like the original....He,He.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 02:33:56 PM »
I got into cannon through friends that do renaissance faires, and they have a rule that you name your weapon the first time it draws it's owner's blood (most of the time it's a sword, dagger, halberd, or other type of "sharp" weapon).  Though I don't follow that rule, and generally don't try to name my inanimate objects, I did once try to start calling my car "Black Stallion", but it just didn't stick. 

My largest cannon, however, does have a name.  It's a 5/8 scale (1.5" bore) Hern Carronade that got it's name from my friends, rather than myself, though.  I built my carriage (and my cannon's sister's carriage) out of a single board of 8/4x14"x13' red oak, and I decided to try using old world processes to finish it.  In doing so, I made my own acid stain, which, when applied to the red oak, turned it purple.  After finishing it with linseed oil, there is little trace of the purple, but in telling that story to several different friends, they each told me that the first image that came into their heads at the thought of a bright purple carriage was Barney, the dinosaur, and the Barney name stuck.  :)

My friend, who's wife bought Barney's sister for him as a Christmas present, chose to finish his carriage with a minwax stain, so it never had the purple color, but he fabricated a tompion and a strap for it and for the vent cover out of leather, which earned his cannon it's S&M name. :o

Offline dittles

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »
Why would you think it odd?  In the Confederacy most guns were named rather than numbered.  Granted, they were usually named for men, but womens names were not unknown.  The gun I take care of and tow around for our unit is named Flo in memory of the owner mother.

Remember the John Wayne movie The Horse Soldiers? At the end of the movie the confederates fired (if my memory serves me right) Peter and Paul at Billie Yank!

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 01:54:51 AM »
Ive been waiting for my guns to let me know what name they want.  A friend of mine while deployed had a truck in the unit they named 'Rosie' because she was big, loud, and ugly.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 02:22:52 AM »
Ive been waiting for my guns to let me know what name they want.  A friend of mine while deployed had a truck in the unit they named 'Rosie' because she was big, loud, and ugly.

;D ;D ;D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 02:25:28 AM »
I got into cannon through friends that do renaissance faires, and they have a rule that you name your weapon the first time it draws it's owner's blood (most of the time it's a sword, dagger, halberd, or other type of "sharp" weapon). 

My Dad had a OLD French dagger (12" blade) that had inscripted on it 'don't draw me without reason and don't sheith me without honor'.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 03:14:25 PM »
You know come to think of it there is a long tradition of naming cannon both the French and the Spanish
inscribe names on them there is an English nursrey ryme that names a Royalist cannon and it's fate....
during the Civil War the cannon at VMI got their names:

"When the Rockbridge Artillery was commissioned, four "cadet" six-pounders (slightly lighter than the regulation M1841 6 pounder and mounted on smaller carriages) were given to the Rockbridge Artillery by the Virginia Military Institute. These cannons were christened at VMI as the "4 Apostles - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John" "because they spoke a powerful language". Pendleton had worked with these same cannons while a cadet at the school and felt it was a "good sign from God". "

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 03:54:33 PM »
I long heard about the 4 apostles, M. M. L. & J.  Does each one have it's own name?  Or is it generic within the set?

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 03:09:48 AM »
On the flip side - I'm tempted to name this one after a cannon!  (Hasn't gone off yet - hope to get it moved away from the cat-feeding area before dark.)

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline keith44

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 05:42:56 AM »
lil stinker?

seriously though, move slowly, cover with burlap, and ease the trap into the bed of the pick-up.  Take a stick with ya and unlatch the door from a distance.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 09:00:23 AM »
     Mike and I aren't much into naming cannons, but we made an exception when it came to the 2/5 scale 24" Paixhans Monster Mortar M1832 that we built in 2009.  This thing ended up weighing 1,200 Lbs. and completely overwhelmed our shop.  We were constantly tripping over this hulk or one of it's bulky parts.  We didn't fill tin cans with concrete or coffee cans either.  NO, they were not monsterish enough.  We had to fill 5 gallon water jugs with almost 140 Lbs of concrete.   We finally decided to name it
                                                                    "La Bete"
because it reminded us of the Beast in the story called:   La Belle et La Bete.   The second movie by that name is by far the best 'Beauty and the Beast' movie and it features a beast of a Beast.  The 11" mortar reminded us very much of it.

Mike's expression in each of the photos below pretty much sums up his opinion of 'La Bete'.

Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »
Yes I can see MIke is just glowing with enthusieasm at each stage of the project..

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »
Yes I can see MIke is just glowing with enthusieasm at each stage of the project..

ROTFLMAO

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 07:39:23 PM »

During the Civil War the cannon at VMI got their names:

"When the Rockbridge Artillery was commissioned, four "cadet" six-pounders (slightly lighter than the regulation M1841 6 pounder and mounted on smaller carriages) were given to the Rockbridge Artillery by the Virginia Military Institute. These cannons were christened at VMI as the "4 Apostles - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John" "because they spoke a powerful language". Pendleton had worked with these same cannons while a cadet at the school and felt it was a "good sign from God".   

During the last years of the Civil War the North built 4 giant naval guns at the Fort Pitt Foundry.  They were 20" Dahlgren Shell Guns; 3 were accepted by the Navy and one was sold to Peru.  They were named Satan, Lucifer, Moloch and Beelzebub!

Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Tracy

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 04:50:35 AM »

During the Civil War the cannon at VMI got their names:

"When the Rockbridge Artillery was commissioned, four "cadet" six-pounders (slightly lighter than the regulation M1841 6 pounder and mounted on smaller carriages) were given to the Rockbridge Artillery by the Virginia Military Institute. These cannons were christened at VMI as the "4 Apostles - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John" "because they spoke a powerful language". Pendleton had worked with these same cannons while a cadet at the school and felt it was a "good sign from God".   

During the last years of the Civil War the North built 4 giant naval guns at the Fort Pitt Foundry.  They were 20" Dahlgren Shell Guns; 3 were accepted by the Navy and one was sold to Peru.  They were named Satan, Lucifer, Moloch and Beelzebub!

Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Tracy

Yes if perhaps the wrong side won.........