Author Topic: Finally Giving into the Weight, and Age.  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Finally Giving into the Weight, and Age.
« on: June 17, 2011, 11:17:02 AM »
I was hot some time back to slick up one of my favorite S&W revolvers. The 686, 2 1/2" polished frame six shot. I did, and it was as I suspected a beautiful gun, and pleasure to shoot. It was also quite heavier than in my youth, and I didn't carry it much. I have also started going to Miami once a week, and noticed that in some areas I go, they are quite reminiscent to South Dallas, and Oak Cliff.
After about a month of kickin it around, seeing the 686 when I was at home, fast becoming a "safe queen" today I sold it, and bought in my opinion the "Cadillac of Carry Guns" for duty, and fighting. I succumbed to the call of the Glock 23, and bought a 4th Generation. I have owned three others in this model, and when I was still SWATing, and training officers had the experience of shooting thousands of rounds thru these fine pistols, so I am in no doubt of it's reliability, and it is certainly the most point-able pistol I have ever carried or trained with.
SO! With that said, I must now order a set of Trijicon night sights, and I am once again "good to go".
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Finally Giving into the Weight, and Age.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:39:39 PM »
There's just an undeniable practicality to the Glock 19/23 pistols. Perhaps the best all round pistols made today.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 01:09:26 AM »
I cut my teeth on revolvers, carried one for years as a duty weapon.  A finely polished, timed, and smoothed S&W or Colt is practically a work of art, and still my go to guns for handgun hunting, and playing at the range.  The Glocks are none of the above.  What they are is soul-less shooting machines - and there in lies their attraction.  Light weight, great pointability, simplicity, tough finish, and extreme durability and reliability - About the perfect fighting handgun.  Once I bought my #26, when they first came out as my steady carry gun, I proceeded to shoot my #19 without cleaning, including cast reloads, just to see how many shots I could accumulate before it jammed.  I'd guess about 5K so far, with 100% reliability.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 01:17:50 AM »
Good show Dee, you kinda knew it was inevitable...  ::)

I'm trying to justify a second... a 20 in 10mm. A big boy Glock. I have had a couple Colts, like the caliber. If I hunted more with a hand gun or needed woods, (Teeth N claws) defensive carry it would be a shoe in. ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Dee

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 03:14:23 AM »
When I retired out of L.E. I was carrying a 23, and sold it. As Bigeasy says, these pistols are not really pretty weapons, however Gaston Glock put into reality what a fighting pistol should be. Pointable, quick recovery shot to shot, due to lower receiver flex, and wide rear grip, absolute reliability, and the simplest approach of, just pull the trigger, in shooting. The large magazine well is welcome but, in my own personal opinion and experience if it is still goin on after 13 shots, I am more interested in finding the exit.
Now when my Truglo TFO sights come in, I'll be good to go. As far as any other additions, there are none for me. I like the standard trigger, and I have Kydex paddle holsters for carry along with a suede leather inside the waistband holster. This one came with 3 thirteen rounders so I'm fixed up there also.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 08:22:10 AM »
I like everything about the glock but the trigger. I never could seem to get used to their trigger. What do you do about that Dee?

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Dee

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 02:22:19 PM »
Gettin used to something is like switching from a revolver to an auto. They work different, and things have to be done differently. The sight picture is the same, the concept of bullet to target are the same. But trigger pull is different, trigger weight is different, carry habits many time are different, and so on.
When you live alone and then get married, it takes gettin used to, but you just hang in there, and to use your term, you: "get used to it". Practice, practice, practice.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 06:10:43 AM »
Well Dee, I have owned and shot 3 different glock 20s and 2 glock 31s and a glock 32. I bought 3000 rounds of 357sig the first time and after shooting it up, another 10,000 rounds of which I have 7,000 left when I sold my last glock pistol.
I have shot double & single action revolvers and 1911 pistols most of my life. I did get into sigs for a while and liked them but I never felt that I mastered the glock.
However since I have so much ammo I think I'll try again. So I just ordered a new glock 31.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 08:23:11 AM »
i love my 23.  it just hits whatever it is i aim at. 
   i like my 20, too, but 16 rounds of 10mm and the large frame and slide make it too dang heavy to carry for extended periods.  and i dont have a big frame, so there is no way for me to carry it concealed.   the 23 is perfect in every way.   i carry mine in a blackhawk serpa holster, and i love that as well.  light, comfortable, and very quick to get into action. 
   i have been considering sending my other pistols down the road, but then i keep thinking i will save them for my sons.   if i didnt have the boys, the other guns would be down the road by now. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »
Dee , I hate the trigger .  I used one in self defense training ( the thing never jammed ). I see them for what they are a less costly gun that works. I have a used 23 that was cheap. I don't care for it like some other guns but if it gets taken or ruined I haven't lost much . Saying its the best pistol is an opinion I don't share  there are some really good one out there but few cost what a Glock cost. Weight is also a strong point. I have got a Glock several times for carry then traded for something else then traded back due to weight.
I have a friend that carried one for a year or more in his bibs. He works construction. He sweats . He gets dirty. He did not retract the slide or clean this gun to the point it could not be retracted and he is a strong guy. He broke it lose with a hammer and block of wood after which it fired a full mag .
Time will tell with the plastic but they work .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dee

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 02:45:27 AM »
Well, after installing and carrying the Glock 23 with the new Truglo TFO sights, I can honestly say from experience that the TFOs, are the most amazing pistol sights I have ever seen or used. Brilliantly clear in the day, and subtlely clear at night, and extremely well made to boot. Excellent combo on a fighting pistol.

Offline Dee

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »
Well, I sold my Model 60 today, and went and bought a Glock 27, and ordered another set of the Truglow TFO sights for it. What am I thinking? :-\ :o

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »
Well if those sights are that good maybe I'll try a set...What does the sight picture look like?

Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Dee

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »
In the day they jump out at you, and at night they are a subtle green. Not too bright, but just enough. I was during my past career, due to my function in my career, able to examine just about everything that was hot off the press for L.E. officers. These have to be the best sights for fighting pistols I have personally seen. I must admit that I have never fired a Glock 27 as they weren't yet on the scene when I left L.E. but, I suspect it will make a good carry for summer, and I like the extra 5 shots over the Smith. In a serious disagreement the extra 5 should be of no consequence if one applies one's self to winning, but they are a comfort.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 05:20:31 PM »
I put a set of big dot express sights on the last 1911 I carried. liked them a lot for fast work at close range. Passed the ccw shooting course here in Alaska with them on that gun.  :)  Honestly though you would half to work at failing the shooting part of the test.

Regards,
Byron

NRA LIFE

Offline Dee

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 03:06:11 AM »
That's the way most courses are. I think their more about safety.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 08:05:32 AM »
 :-\  Dee, didn't think you would ever part with those beautiful Smiths...but a guy has to do what he has to do...You mentioned going Miami once a week...Florida(?)  Heard some bad stuff about that place...good luck...

Offline Dee

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »
Yea WCH, I have been for several months, but am trying to switch to Denver, and Cheyenne, and am starting tomorrow. Hope it works out as it's cooler up there, and I like the country. I'll be in Aurora the third.
The Smiths are like 1911s. I can build one up any way I want one, as I do the work myself, so it ain't like I can replace them, but the Glocks at the present just make sense in my old age, and the road ain't like it used to be. These little Glocks in 40 S&W hide about as well as the Model 60, with 5 extra rounds. The new sights there have came out are better than anything I carried before I retired, and I found a set of Truglo TFOs for this Glock 27 for 85 bucks. They shipped Friday evening and were on my porch yesterday morning, and on the pistol an hour later. I can, at 62 see these sights much better than on my Smiths, and I am very familiar with the Glock workings.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »
 ;)  Glad you and replace the Smiths if you like...I have been considering a couple autos for my girlfriend and I..maybe a 9mm and 45 acp...I like revolvers, but on the road, one never knows what will come our way,and things will never get better...may go with Springfield Armory as I have had one of those before and liked it...Clear to Cheyenne!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a long way from Tx... ::) :o ;D :D   We will be leaving on a fishing trip to Mt. and northern Wy. about the 8th of Aug..not sure how long we will stay depends on the weather and fishing..been hot up here also..Much of Sept. and Oct.  I will be around home..if you spend time in Cheyenne and want to venture farther afield let me know...travel safely...

Offline Dee

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 01:33:04 PM »
I'll do it.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 05:09:52 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!